Cheat days??? do you have one or not?

Options

Replies

• aclar44
    Options
    I weigh in on Fridays. I also don't have my son on Fridays so it's the one night a week I can go out with my friends. Every Friday that I've lost at least 2 pound I allow myself to have a cheat day. I generally still eat a healthy breakfast and lunch, but then I go out to dinner with friends and order whatever I want. It's worked for me. Because then I don't feel like I'm depriving myself.
  • deb2799
    Options
    I can't do cheat days. I tried and it was a big fail. Took me 3 days to get back on track. Now, if I want a piece of chocolate or something, I will have it, if it fits in my calories for the day. If my kids have a birthday cake, I will have a small piece and not sweat it. But whole cheat days, nope
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I do have cheat days. It's really a cheat meal/snack day where I'll risk exceeding my calorie goal. Normally, I don't exceed it because I have such a calorie deficit due to my workouts, but I try! :happy: But I look forward to 1-2 indulgences on the weekend, sometimes two days of the weekend. Monday-Thursday (my work week) I am a little more stricter with my eating habits.
  • Faithenfire
    Options
    I can't do cheat days. I tried and it was a big fail. Took me 3 days to get back on track. Now, if I want a piece of chocolate or something, I will have it, if it fits in my calories for the day. If my kids have a birthday cake, I will have a small piece and not sweat it. But whole cheat days, nope

yup this is what i do too. it seems to work pretty well
  • DesertFox15
    DesertFox15 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I stayed below my calorie goal everyday for two weeks. At that point I thought it would be a good idea to try a cheat day; however, I felt like absolute crap the next day. Pizza, wings, and cheese fries were my dietary staples before I decided to eat better. I didn't feel guilty, but my body rebelled against me and it felt worse than a hangover. I ate well for another two weeks and had a cheat day for the Super Bowl. I ate half of what I could eat before, and today I felt even worse than last time! The sodium in the meals alone were enough to cause serious water retention and I couldn't even even concentrate on work because my head and stomach hurt so bad. At this point I can't fathom having another cheat day anytime soon. For those who have water retention issues after a cheat day: I felt a lot better after having 2 cups of broccoli and some protein. I also had some OJ. I have been reading these forums religiously and this is my first post! I think the advice on this site is great and hope to build upon the 16 pounds I've lost the past four weeks!
  • whitesox56
    Options
    I have four cheat meals a week.

And most of the time I am still under my calories for the day.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    no I try to build treats or items I like everyday. I dont want to put the junk in my body I used to. IF I decided I would have maybe a cheat meal, after a whole day I think it would be hard to restart the next day.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I do not do cheat days. I eat food that I like, period. I eat all foods that I like, in fact. I have, however, mostly cut fast food out, barring pizza. Pizza will always be in my diet. I generally stay below my calorie goal, and when I work out hard, I eat a lot.
  • never124get
    Options
    Not cheat days, but I do have a cheat meal once a week. I wouldn't be able to throw one day away by "cheating". I usually save my cheat meal for a day or night I know I'm going out to eat or when I will be around my friends or when I'm really craving my favorite food that's really bad for me. And that whole day of my "cheat meal" I try to eat a little more healthy than usual...if that makes sense. I guess just to compensate for the bad food I had. Like yesterday I picked my cheat meal as chocolate chip waffles and hash browns from waffle house...and then the rest of the day ate a little lighter and I was still on track with my carbs, sugars, fat...etc. It's all about portions and moderation :)
  • starrchiild
    starrchiild Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There are enough birthday parties and such where I don't really need a cheat day
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If I want something badly then I have it. Cheat days just result in days of binging for me and cheating is part of a diet mentality. You can make most foods you would get in a meal out, better at home, though not quite the same experience socially. And better to have a piece of cake on the day you feel like it most rather than holding out until a specific day.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have one. I still log everything. I try to keep it within reason and don't use it if I don't need it.
  • TodayYesterday
    TodayYesterday Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes! I usually go for a long hike once a week. 4 hours or so with a backpack. Then I go out to eat at a restaurant, and don't worry about calories. That is the only time we are going out to eat. No hiking = no cheat meal. Sometimes we do 2 long hikes on the weekend, but still only 1 cheat meal.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    So I'm wondering what everyone's take is on "Cheat Day"...the one day a week you let yourself eat whatever you want. Do you let yourself have one whole day or do you just allow yourself one indulgent meal? Weekends are tough for me when it comes to sticking to diets.

i do. but i think im going to cut it out. My "cheat day" starts turning into two or three cheat does. Im one of those do it or dont people.
  • skyline2055
    skyline2055 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Cheat days or cheat meals are healthy for you on the psychological level.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days or cheat meals.

i eat what I want. If I want the unhealthy thing.. i'll have it.. Otherwise if i wait for a cheat day, i'll overeat it.

Plus I'm not on a diet. I'm changing my life. I'm not gonna cheat myself. I also know how to make yummy food that is low calorie and low fat. Like today I had chocolate covered strawberries. YUM!
  • sensitivegirl
    sensitivegirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I might plan ahead for a cheat meal for a special occassion (and try to save some calories), but generally, cheats usually pop up when I get invited out for dinner and I don't really have control over the menu. I try to watch the portions and just enjoy the special occassions that life will always bring. I will still count the calories regardless so that when I look back on the progress compared to the calories that week, it will teach me if I should do less cheat days, or if the amount I am doing now is ok. I am a rather black and white thinker, so too much cheating will make me lose momentum. That's how my "diets" always fail...
  • whitesox56
    Options
    Not cheat days, but I do have a cheat meal once a week. I wouldn't be able to throw one day away by "cheating". I usually save my cheat meal for a day or night I know I'm going out to eat or when I will be around my friends or when I'm really craving my favorite food that's really bad for me. And that whole day of my "cheat meal" I try to eat a little more healthy than usual...if that makes sense. I guess just to compensate for the bad food I had. Like yesterday I picked my cheat meal as chocolate chip waffles and hash browns from waffle house...and then the rest of the day ate a little lighter and I was still on track with my carbs, sugars, fat...etc. It's all about portions and moderation :)

I am craving Waffle House hash browns now :) Thanks a lot! LOL
  • kirzz92
    kirzz92 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in setting aside a specific day/rule regarding "cheating.
    I love eating clean and love what is does to my body. But say for eg we go to an italian restaurant on the weekend, I will order the napoletana instead of the alfredo, or the focaccia with avo instead of a cheesy pizza... I think of it as controlled cheating.
    Its still enjoyable food, but the healthier option.... If you deprive yourself fully by having a greek salad while everyone else is having pizza, well i dunno about you, but i turn into the dragon lady. lol!

Good luck :)
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to implement a sustainable lifestyle change that I can maintain in the long run. So, I don't go in for the concept of a "cheat day". Having said that, I know I have to be careful on the day I weigh myself because if I discover I've lost weight I get elated and go a bit crazy.