Cheat days??? do you have one or not?

Options

Replies

• ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Not really. If im way under calories I might have a bit of junk food like crisps or a biscuit. Va;entines day im being taken to a chinese buffett so thats my cheat day lol
  • Ange0NZ
    Ange0NZ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Like many others, I do not plan or have any cheat days. I think if I did, temptation would be a huge factor for me and the words "... just one more" would take over, putting me back at square one again. Having said that though, I do have moments when I crave something and a healthy substitute or a drink just doesn't make it disappear. At those times, I have the item that I am craving but try to make sure that it fits within my set levels for the day. It's like a treat. I plan my meals in advance and if I have any levels leftover, I let myself have a treat!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I used to but I currently don't feel the need to have one. The aim for me is to chance my diet for life. Cheat days make my head think I'm on a traditional 'diet', that'll end at some point and that there are 'bad foods'. So now if I have a bar of chocolate, I just log it and that's it. It's not good or bad. It's food.
    No food is cheat food. I just chose to eat in moderation instead and fulfil my nutritional needs
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I didn't agree with the"cheat day"....either you have accepted a new lifestyle and can live within the terms you set for yourself, or you can't. I have cut nothing out and if I go over my calories I have to deal with the consequences. Super bowl Sunday I went over, picked back up Monday and am no worse for the wear today.
  • PhiSigAmber
    PhiSigAmber Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have planned "cheats" (usually about 2 meals/week). I think an entire day is excessive and unnecessary.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    yes I do. :) but not the entire day, just little something I have a craving for.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    every week, 2 times
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Doesn't anyone ever stop and think what "cheat" actually means?

Cheating yourself of weight loss.

Cheating yourself of freedoms from sugar addiction.

Cheating yourself of health.

Why do any of those things?

To those who say that if they didn't have their cheats they'd go on a binge, anyway, I say this: it's the little things you allow yourself every day that is feeding your addictions and keeping them alive, so that once a week you HAVE to splurge and have a portion of whatever you like.

And 99% of the time it's carbs. You keep the carb addiction alive all week by teasing yourself with artificial sweeteners or "just one tiny cookie" and this builds up addiction and craving and eventually you crack and you MUST have a cheat day in which you can satisfy the carb-o-holism.

It's like someone who "gives up" cigarettes, but has one puff a day from someone else's *kitten*, and once a week HAS to have a whole packet.

If they did not have that one puff a day, they would allow their bodies to get over the addiction!
  • RobinsonDawn
    RobinsonDawn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes of course! Special occasions I will eat anything I want too however the next day I will go back to eating healthily. One day isn't going to make you pile on pounds so there's no need to worry about a few extra calories!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    weekends,,, work my butt off hard all week, party it up all weekend.
  • LisaLayers
    Options
    I will not be having cheat days.. Only because I wont stop and it will ruin my mind set for the next day.

I don't deprive myself of anythin (im just countin calories) I have 300 cals alocated for snacks.. So can have crisps, choc or cake but I choose better options. Just knowin I can makes it easy ;)
  • dcazll
    dcazll Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have one little chocolate bar every night (about 120cals), otherwise I end up bingeing and undoing all my hard work, so no, no cheat days. Just a little bit of what I fancy within my cal range. But if we go out to eat, which is only about once a month, then I have what I like.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    One day isn't going to make you pile on pounds so there's no need to worry about a few extra calories!

As a matter of fact is DOES if you are on a ketogenic diet and are knocked out of ketosis. The glycogen stores fill up again which can make a person gain 5lb overnight.
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    No. Why would I want to cheat myself?
  • sblackwood77
    sblackwood77 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually have a "eat what I want night" on fridays evenings. this is the day I weigh in and cheat!! LOL I do feel like it keeps me grounded, and also makes me realize how eating healthy makes me feel so much better than all the high fat foods.
  • boohe65p
    boohe65p Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I ease up in the week ends but usually increase my exercise to off set the food. Friday nights I cycle about 90mns after work but then have dinner out like a reward. Sunday I like bacon and eggs or a cycle to a beach cafe and brunch.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't consider anything I eat to be "cheating" because I always fit it into my calories/macros. I've been on this healthy lifestyle for 8 weeks and I've had two days where I ate over my recommended calorie intake. (2,400 one day and 2,100 the other day.) However, one of them was when I was on a girl's weekend with my best friend, the other was when I was PMSing, and I just consider that life. I'm going to a state competition this weekend and will be eating out, but I don't think it's a cheat day. It's just a part of life and I accept that. I don't deprive myself of anything if I want it (wine, chocolate, mcdonalds very rarely) because this new lifestyle is just that.. a lifestyle I want to stick with for the rest of my life. If I make a choice to eat or not eat something, it's more based on if my body needs it and how I will physically feel after I've consumed it.

I also eat between 1600 and 1700 calories a day on days I don't workout, so I don't think my body ever feels like it's lacking in proper nutrition/calories.
  • IHAVEPMS247
    IHAVEPMS247 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! But if i do, i cut back calories during the week to balance it all out and do some extra exercise.
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    TO STAY FOCUS AND NOT FAIL...once a week I will have a cheat meal:)
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Since doing this MFP seriously for about 6 weeks now, a few days ago I ate something to trial that was just horrible that I needed a "cheat" treat to recover, lol.............so I grabbed the nearest thing which was Herrs Salt and Vinegar Potato Chiips........filled with greasey fat. Sooo good, but when I took the bag out to eat, I got my scale and weighed a serving. Although I considered that a cheat, I still incorporated it into my daily diet plan, and in doing this I saw I did get to eat a nice serving, enjoy and still stay on track.

What we need to learn, as I am seeing, is that we can eat possibly anything if we can stay on track and no overindulge. The biggest problem we have I feel is the desire to want to overindulge.

We can learn to choose small on all our loved foods within reason, then the cheats can be had more ;)

Anyone else feel the same way?