What has giving up fast food done for you?

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    4) False. Why do you think it's exponential? It's like your comment last night that it's like "compounding interest". No, it isn't.
    6) No. here you go again. Trying to pass off your belief as truth. Go back and re-read the link AnvilHead posted.
    7) Fast food will simply not prevent one from achieving low body fat, a six pack, and extreme athletic ability while also keeping blood pressure and cholesterol low,

Fast food contains what? Fats and enriched, refined carbs, right?

Fats: "Cutting back on saturated fat can be good for health if people replace saturated fat with good fats, especially, polyunsaturated fats. (16,25) Eating good fats in place of saturated fat lowers the “bad” LDL cholesterol, and it improves the ratio of total cholesterol to “good” HDL cholesterol, lowering the risk of heart disease. Eating good fats in place of saturated fat can also help prevent insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes. (26)"

Refined Carbs: "Over time, eating lots of “fast carbs” can raise the risk of heart disease and diabetes as much as—or more than—eating too much saturated fat. (16-18) That’s why it’s important to replace foods high in bad fats with foods high in good fats—not with refined carbohydrates."

So how much should you eat?

"The latest Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends getting less than 10 percent of calories each day from saturated fat. (27) The American Heart Association goes even further, recommending limiting saturated fat to no more than 7 percent of calories. (28)"

This is Harvard folks, not just anecdotes anymore: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

Ohhhh. You have a problem with saturated fat.
    That explains a lot.
    I'm out, abandon thread, lost cause.

i eat coconut oil and avocado every day. no problem with saturated fats. just saying that there are GOOD saturated fats and bad. Read the article before you dismiss.

But your text would indicate otherwise. If you do not agree with the text in your post - why did you post it?

good lord read the article don't base it entirely on the tiny snippet i grabbed. haha y'all are clamoring for me to back things up with studies, i give it to you, and then you don't bother reading it. hilarious.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Let me lay out my views once and for all so we can quit misrepresenting "what I think"

1) you can lose weight and eat fast food
    2) one fast food meal doesn't matter, won't kill you, and generally has close to zero effect on your body
    3) one healthy meal won't make you thin, and generally has close to zero effect on your body
    4) either one of the above actions, repeated over time, has an exponential effect on your body
    5) it's important to do more of 3 than 2
    6) the more heavily you lean on 3, and the less you rely on 2, the healthier you will be in the LONG RUN (not today, tomorrow, next week or next year - i'm talking 20 years from now)
    7) if you want low body fat, a six pack, and extreme athletic ability while also keeping blood pressure and cholesterol low, cutting out fast food CAN enhance your ability to do that. I'm not saying it's a more enjoyable lifestyle, and I'm not saying everyone should do it.

Bit of a backpedal from your very first quote:
    This. You can get "healthy" eating fast food. But if you want to be elite, you have to cut it out. It's a personal choice.

No-one is misrepresenting you except you.

I'm allowed to backpedal.

You can get "healthy" eating fast food. But if you want to be elite, cutting down on fast food can help substantially.

happy?

I would be happier if you read the articles posted here by AnvilHead from people who actually know what they are talking about.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    You could have bowed out and saved face at any time. Yet you keep going. I guess you can say your credibility and reputation are sinking exponentially, like compounding interest. (no, not really, but I wanted to misuse those terms just to mock you).

hey man, i'm not the one resorting to mockery. ;)

EDIT: ok i just did a little. haha
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I would be happier if you read the articles posted here by AnvilHead from people who actually know what they are talking about.

AAAAAHHHH that's the problem! You just want me to find studies you AGREE with! Got it.

Silly Harvard.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    4) False. Why do you think it's exponential? It's like your comment last night that it's like "compounding interest". No, it isn't.
    6) No. here you go again. Trying to pass off your belief as truth. Go back and re-read the link AnvilHead posted.
    7) Fast food will simply not prevent one from achieving low body fat, a six pack, and extreme athletic ability while also keeping blood pressure and cholesterol low,

Fast food contains what? Fats and enriched, refined carbs, right?

Fats: "Cutting back on saturated fat can be good for health if people replace saturated fat with good fats, especially, polyunsaturated fats. (16,25) Eating good fats in place of saturated fat lowers the “bad” LDL cholesterol, and it improves the ratio of total cholesterol to “good” HDL cholesterol, lowering the risk of heart disease. Eating good fats in place of saturated fat can also help prevent insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes. (26)"

Refined Carbs: "Over time, eating lots of “fast carbs” can raise the risk of heart disease and diabetes as much as—or more than—eating too much saturated fat. (16-18) That’s why it’s important to replace foods high in bad fats with foods high in good fats—not with refined carbohydrates."

So how much should you eat?

"The latest Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends getting less than 10 percent of calories each day from saturated fat. (27) The American Heart Association goes even further, recommending limiting saturated fat to no more than 7 percent of calories. (28)"

This is Harvard folks, not just anecdotes anymore: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

Ohhhh. You have a problem with saturated fat.
    That explains a lot.
    I'm out, abandon thread, lost cause.

i eat coconut oil and avocado every day. no problem with saturated fats. just saying that there are GOOD saturated fats and bad. Read the article before you dismiss.

But your text would indicate otherwise. If you do not agree with the text in your post - why did you post it?

good lord read the article don't base it entirely on the tiny snippet i grabbed. haha y'all are clamoring for me to back things up with studies, i give it to you, and then you don't bother reading it. hilarious.

Good lord...stop posting things that are not correct. Why don't you actually take extracts of what you belief and post those rather than of what you do not believe.
  • jack3Dav3
    jack3Dav3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Let me lay out my views once and for all so we can quit misrepresenting "what I think"

2) one fast food meal doesn't matter, won't kill you, and generally has close to zero effect on your body
    3) one healthy meal won't make you thin, and generally has close to zero effect on your body
    4) either one of the above actions, repeated over time, has an exponential effect on your body
    6) the more heavily you lean on 3, and the less you rely on 2, the healthier you will be in the LONG RUN (not today, tomorrow, next week or next year - i'm talking 20 years from now)
    7) if you want low body fat, a six pack, and extreme athletic ability while also keeping blood pressure and cholesterol low, cutting out fast food CAN enhance your ability to do that. I'm not saying it's a more enjoyable lifestyle, and I'm not saying everyone should do it.

Bit of a backpedal from your very first quote:
    This. You can get "healthy" eating fast food. But if you want to be elite, you have to cut it out. It's a personal choice.

No-one is misrepresenting you except you.

I'm allowed to backpedal.

Not whilst retaining any shred of credibility you aren't.

edit: My mistake that would imply you had any to begin with
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Means you cut out one more unhealthy thing from your diet. Unhealthy fatty greasy oily yuckiness. High calorie low nutrient food.

Keep it up!!

ANd this!!

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

AAAAAHHHH that's the problem! You just want me to find studies you AGREE with! Got it.

Silly Harvard.

You just said you didn't agree with the conclusion - make up your mind. Also, if you took the time to bother to read them - you would get a better understanding of context.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

weird... i always thought it was a good thing if someone could recognize they may have made a mistake or framed something incorrectly... huh.
  • MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds in 30 days not eating fast food. Exercising and eating right :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

weird... i always thought it was a good thing if someone could recognize they may have made a mistake or framed something incorrectly... huh.

That's called admitting fault. I've done it (not in this thread, but it does happen; I have stood corrected many times on this web site). Backpeddling is trying to disguise fault. See the difference?
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options

That's called admitting fault. I've done it (not in this thread, but it does happen; I have stood corrected many times on this web site). Backpeddling is trying to disguise fault. See the difference?

Once again. Word choice. You knew what he meant.
  • taso42
    Options

No. See that's the thing with words. Words have meaning. We are on the internet here, communicating with words. Words are everything here.

Good lord.
  • Amy967
    Amy967 Posts: 20
    Options
    yeah I crave apples all the time, I could care less about the sweets when I'm around apples :D
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options

No. See that's the thing with words. Words have meaning. We are on the internet here, communicating with words. Words are everything here.

Good lord.

Except for "healthy". "Healthy" has no meaning
  • CoachReddy
    Options

i do indeed. fair enough.

can we just let this go? the last few pages are pretty ridiculous.

we're all here on this site because we care about our health and care about getting in better shape. who cares if my methods are different than yours? we're all allowed to subscribe to whatever plan works best for us. the OP simply asked what giving up fast food has done for you, so folks like me answered. what's really a shame is that people feel the need to jump into a thread like this and say "WELL I HAVEN'T GIVEN IT UP AND I'M FINE!"

great for you. but that wasn't the point of the thread, and didn't answer the OP's question. so can we all just agree to disagree, quit berating each other, and move on? I have to go work out anyway. I know there are cheers of joy at my departure for the time being (although admit it, you've enjoyed yourselves) :P
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating fast food years ago 1. for better tasting food, and 2. because it just didn't appeal to me anymore, so why eat it? The last "fast food" I ate was about 6 months ago, but it was Chick-fil-A oatmeal, which is very tastey
  • aimeeernest
    aimeeernest Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Giving up fast food has made it so i don't crave fast food. Every time I eat it it makes me feel sick and regret not eating real food. So other than the obvious health benefits, it's nice to feel better.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds in 30 days not eating fast food. Exercising and eating right :)

IDK, I think exercising has a lot to do with it.
    When I worked construction, I lived off the
    Roach Coach, and fast food. I was in the
    best shape of my life. When I got stuck in
    a cubicle, and ate same foods I gained
    weight. (around 40 lbs.)

I'd probably eat more fast food if it wasn't for
    the sodium. Calories are easy to get rid of,
    high blood pressure not so much. :grumble:
  • taso42
    Options

i do indeed. fair enough.

can we just let this go? the last few pages are pretty ridiculous.

we're all here on this site because we care about our health and care about getting in better shape. who cares if my methods are different than yours? we're all allowed to subscribe to whatever plan works best for us. the OP simply asked what giving up fast food has done for you, so folks like me answered. what's really a shame is that people feel the need to jump into a thread like this and say "WELL I HAVEN'T GIVEN IT UP AND I'M FINE!"

great for you. but that wasn't the point of the thread, and didn't answer the OP's question. so can we all just agree to disagree, quit berating each other, and move on? I have to go work out anyway. I know there are cheers of joy at my departure for the time being (although admit it, you've enjoyed yourselves) :P

Have a good workout