What has giving up fast food done for you?

Options
This wasn't a New Years resolution, because frankly, I don't believe in them, but I gave up fast food on Monday. That may not seem like a very long time, but I was fast food ADDICTED. I would even lose weight while eating it, but it would make me feel terrible physically, and it was the thing I would go to when I went off track, which made getting off track way too easy and convenient.

How has stopping the drive thru drama helped you? What tips do you have for staying on track, because my biggest issue was the convenience that fast food offered me (not that the delicious chemical and fat content wasn't attractive on some level as well). I'm serious about not only eating within my calorie range, but also eating healthier foods.

Any ideas/suggestions/etc would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I've never stopped eating fast food and don't intend to. It's not a daily thing but I haven't seen it cause any issues as long as I stay in my budget. It's my treat and I'm not giving it up.
  • PhiSigAmber
    PhiSigAmber Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me that my idea of fast food should be a protein shake. I've been drinking them regularly ever since.

I haven't completely cut fast food (doubt I ever will), but it's a very "once in a blue moon" kinda thing for me. It has forced me to pack lunches for work, which means I am eating much healthier throughout the day.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Any ideas/suggestions/etc would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Carry healthy stuff with you/put it in your desk at work. Soups and crackers, tins of tuna or chicken, nuts and seeds are pretty easy and keep for a while.

:D
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I never really ate fast food MAYBE... once or twice a month but I did let go of other bad things like candy, chocolate, chips, red meat, you know the bad stuff. I am basically a vegetarian with the exception of chicken and turkey and fish if thats not a vegetarian thing. Lol But my main point is that by giving up the bad stuff my taste buds became more alive and sensitive. Sugary treats are even more sweet in my opinion no matter what it is, so only eating a little is very satisfying when I do indulge. I crave and I mean crave healthy foods like a big red juicy apple. When I try to be loose with my diet and dine out with the family my stomach is in pain after because Im not used to eating that way. And it might be an OCD thing for me but when my parents get takeout for dinner like pizza or chinease, I feel the need to put a big bowl of veggies on the side. It makes me feel healthy and not feel as bad.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I've never stopped eating fast food and don't intend to. It's not a daily thing but I haven't seen it cause any issues as long as I stay in my budget. It's my treat and I'm not giving it up.

^ This.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Why give it up? I like my cake and eat it too
  • keelz2010
    keelz2010 Posts: 182
    Options
    I still eat junk food, just less of it than before. Make some of your own batch of pizzas one day (or buy them) and freeze them, it'll only take 15 mins to cook when you fancy one, quicker than waiting for a take out delivery.Have a side salad with it though rather than the whole pizza. If you are going to McDonalds, order a kids meal instead of an adults, or a burger without the fries, water in stead of a shake.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I had stopped eating fast food and was eating mostly "clean" for a good year or two. I now eat fast food fairly regularly, as of the last few months and there are no issues.
  • Sallyafe1
    Options
    Hi Ronnie,
    Just today. Track your calories. Commit to yourself. Fast food has too much fat and calories. Our brains trick us into eating using brain chemicals. Eat sugar you want more.
    Control your brain chemically, no cravings. Watch the afternoon Dr. for great diet tips. Make a small change every week. You can do it.
    Eat only healthy food, you are smart, beautiful and confident. Use lettuce leaves to wrap 1/2 of a veggie burger, no bun. No wheat or white flour, no white sugar, white bread, no fried food. Lots of salads, make quinoa, brown rice and wild rice. Use legums, they all have extra protein that includes all varieties of beans.
    Eat lots of frozen or fresh fruits and veggies. Whole grains for bread. Your food should give back to you in nutritional value.
    Use 1/2 of a banana in a smoothie with vanilla, skim milk or almond milk. No yogurt with sugar.
    I have lost one lb. this week. It was hard won. But it is not coming back. Some people can eat fast food & not have issues.I had 5 children and a busy schedule, I cooked. We all change as we age, usually some weight gain.
    Friend me, I can help.
    Sallyafe1
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    This. You can get "healthy" eating fast food. But if you want to be elite, you have to cut it out. It's a personal choice.

beastbeforeafter.jpg
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    But if you want to be elite, you have to cut it out. It's a personal choice.

What do you mean by "elite"? Changing your body composition does not require cutting out certain foods.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This. You can get "healthy" eating fast food. But if you want to be elite, you have to cut it out. It's a personal choice.

beastbeforeafter.jpg

Are you saying you're elite?
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

beastbeforeafter.jpg

I was wondering this too.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

beastbeforeafter.jpg

beardage is elite.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    It has made me really want some fast food, all the time.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

beastbeforeafter.jpg

beardage is elite.

lmao!

Umm.....yeah.....so...you're elite?

And OP - I still eat fast food now and again...and I'm still losing.
  • bmd8613
    bmd8613 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love fast food more than most people. Until the past month I would have fast food like 10 times a week no lie. Mcdonalds and Taco bell were my best friend and worse enemy. I have decided to cut way back on fast food and soda due to me gaining a lot of weight. Also every man in my family winds up with heart problems I have noticed. My father, and his brothers have all had heart attacks at young ages. But in the past month I have only had fast food one time and I can really tell the difference. I do not feel sluggish or disgusted, Feel better about myself knowing I didn't eat 2 Big macs today. I just feel fresher and have returned to the gym. I started workout 3 weeks ago and already have almost lost 8 lbs. I'm all about having it for a treat once and while, but that **** will kill you eventually.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have a certain work location... I am usually starving when I leave and I drive past soooo many fast food places...

I have started taking lean cuisine, a salad, nuts and fruit to make sure I am not tempted on the way home. After all, it is even more convenient this way.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm just stopping by in the hope that someone can give me one or two examples of "drive thru drama". Never heard that one before.

I do hope one day i can reach the level of elite. Do you think if i do shaving now i can get there?
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've cut out fast food and soda pop in the last 2.5 months , You would be surprised as to what good can it do with a little exercise.. My Gut shrank almost 7 " and so far Ive lost about 17 Lbs ...I usually prepare all my food 2-3 days in advance and pack healthy foods for lunch . I've also saved about $50 a week by staying a way from the drive through ....:smile: