What has giving up fast food done for you?

Options

Replies

• Koorii
    Koorii Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It has saved me a lot of money!

I feel you on the convenience part. That was the biggest thing that kept me going on fast food. With my schedule, I felt like I had no time to cook, but in all reality, I just hate cooking!

What I've started to do is cook enough food for 3 days and store it in a tupperware. It has worked out so far. It is a lot easier for me, because I eat the same thing everyday, except for my cheat day. On my cheat day I'll have pizza, or if someone wants to go out, that is the day I go out. It takes me about an hour and a half, twice weekly (so 3 hours total) to cook all of my food. It may be even faster if you are good at cooking.

Peace,
    Cory
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options
    Fast food is bad for you. Anyone wanna argue?

*raises hand*

I would like to argue. Why is fast food bad for me? Is slow food from a sit down restaurant better? Or do i have to only eat food made at home? Does no one ever get fat eating homemade food?

Seriously, what are you basing your statement on?

can you argue why it ISN'T bad for you?

Also, why - in a thread about quitting fast food - do people feel compelled to yell and scream about how awesome they are for NOT quitting it. Who cares? This thread isn't for you anyway. There's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out.

^This.
    Also...
    o.O ....if you're seriously trying to argue that "healthy" is a relative term....then we have nothing to talk about.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    ^This.
    Also...
    o.O ....if you're seriously trying to argue that "healthy" is a relative term....then we have nothing to talk about.

Mind. Blown.

So you're saying healthy is a binary term? You eat fast food = you are unhealthy. You don't eat fast food = you are (maybe) healthy?

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get weirder.
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options
    ^This.
    Also...

Mind. Blown.

So you're saying healthy is a binary term? You eat fast food = you are unhealthy. You don't eat fast food = you are (maybe) healthy?

Foods do things to you when they enter your body. Some foods do good things and some foods do bad things. Some foods do a little of both. But they affect you in a definite way, not subject to how you think or feel about it.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    ^This.
    Also...

Mind. Blown.

you eat fast food = you are unhealthier than if you ate whole foods. you can argue all you like about how much more unhealthy it is or isn't, but that's it. fast food is still LESS HEALTHY than whole, unprocessed foods.
  • taso42
    Options
    ^This.
    Also...

Mind. Blown.

you eat fast food = you are unhealthier than if you ate whole foods. you can argue all you like about how much more unhealthy it is or isn't, but that's it. fast food is still LESS HEALTHY than whole, unprocessed foods.

Can you quantify this?

What does it mean to be in good health? What aspects of health does fast food affect and in what ways?

Suppose I never ate fast food in my life, does that automatically make me healthy?

What if I replaced every fast food meal I ever ate with the equivalent calories of butter and cane sugar? By your logic I would be healthier. Do you stand by that? If so, in what way would I be healthier?

I would say your reasoning is flawed, but that would imply that you were using any reasoning.
  • taso42
    Options
    ^This.
    Also...

Mind. Blown.

Foods do things to you when they enter your body. Some foods do good things and some foods do bad things. Some foods do a little of both. But they affect you in a definite way, not subject to how you think or feel about it.

Can you be more specific?

What bad things does, say, and Egg McMuffin do, when eaten in the context of a balanced diet with sufficient micro and macronutrients?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    ^This.
    Also...

Mind. Blown.

Can you quantify this?

What does it mean to be in good health? What aspects of health does fast food affect and in what ways?

Suppose I never ate fast food in my life, does that automatically make me healthy?

What if I replaced every fast food meal I ever ate with the equivalent calories of butter and cane sugar? By your logic I would be healthier. Do you stand by that? If so, in what way would I be healthier?

I would say your reasoning is flawed, but that would imply that you were using any reasoning.

sigh... you're being argumentative simply to be argumentative. you know exactly what i mean, yet play this game.

if you choose to eat a meal of lean meats, veggies and whole grains instead of a #1 at McD's, you ARE eating a healthier meal. Thus it is less healthy to eat fast food, than to eat a well balanced, whole food meal.

but I know you're going to argue anyway because you get a kick out of it. :)
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I never gave it up. I just don't their as often maybe 2 times a week and I make sure it fits my macro's. Its good to treat yourself to something bad every now and then.
  • taso42
    Options
    ^This.
    Also...

Mind. Blown.

Can you quantify this?

sigh... you're being argumentative simply to be argumentative. you know exactly what i mean, yet play this game.

if you choose to eat a meal of lean meats, veggies and whole grains instead of a #1 at McD's, you ARE eating a healthier meal. Thus it is less healthy to eat fast food, than to eat a well balanced, whole food meal.

No, I am annoyed by this whole thing. It annoys me that people say these things and think in this black and white way.

I truly do want you to quantify your claim that a diet that includes fast food is inherently "unhealthier" than one that does not. Or at least try to and come to the conclusion on your own that it's bogus.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    ^This.
    Also...

Mind. Blown.

Can you quantify this?

No, I am annoyed by this whole thing. It annoys me that people say these things.
    I truly do want you to quantify your claim that a diet that includes fast food is inherently "unhealthier" than one that does not. Or at least try to and come to the conclusion on your own that it's bogus.

since you care so much, instead of asking a bunch of questions, why don't you tell me how it's not less healthy to eat a #1 from McD's than a plate of grilled free range chicken, veggies and brown rice.

convince me.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

No, I am annoyed by this whole thing. It annoys me that people say these things and think in this black and white way.

also, a diet devoid of trans fats, unpronounceable chemicals and ridiculous levels of cholesterol is certainly a healthier one. :)
  • LAS_1980
    LAS_1980 Posts: 156
    Options
    Put more money in my bank account and helped me lose 71 lbs!! :tongue:
  • taso42
    Options
    ^This.
    Also...

Mind. Blown.

Can you quantify this?

No, I am annoyed by this whole thing. It annoys me that people say these things.

since you care so much, instead of asking a bunch of questions, why don't you tell me how it's not less healthy to eat a #1 from McD's than a plate of grilled free range chicken, veggies and brown rice.

convince me.

I would grant that a plate of chicken, veggies, and brown rice contains more protein, fiber, and vitamins than a McDonald's #1.
    I would also grant that eating ONLY McDonald's and "junk food" all day every day would put you in a pretty sad state. You would likely have vitamin deficiencies, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, who knows. You would probably feel mostly like *kitten* for most of your waking life as well.
    I think so far we can agree.

Now consider a balanced diet, where you are getting sufficient vitamins, minerals, fiber, and macro nutrients from a variety of food sources. Let's also assume you are a healthy weight, do regular exercise, and eat a level of calories roughly around your maintenance level. I think you would be considered in good-to-excellent health at this point. I think you would still agree with me.

Now consider that as part of that balanced diet, you occasionally, perhaps even frequently, consume "fast food". Keep in mind that you are getting sufficient micro and macro nutrition, and like the scenario above, exercising and eating a reasonable number of calories.

My claim is that the last 2 scenarios are virtually identical. Given that the OVERALL diet is sound, the individual meals within it do not make or break one's health.

Is this making any sense to you?
  • taso42
    Options
    also, a diet devoid of trans fats, unpronounceable chemicals and ridiculous levels of cholesterol is certainly a healthier one. :)

Synthetic trans fats have been shown to actually be harmful to you. That is one food category I would certainly avoid.

As for chemicals. Chemicals make up everything. Some people are better at pronunciation than other people. Some chemicals that sound "scary" are quite mundane and present in a variety of natural food sources. Some chemicals that sound mundane are poisonous and can kill you in small doses.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I would grant that a plate of chicken, veggies, and brown rice contains more protein, fiber, and vitamins than a McDonald's #1.
    I would also grant that eating ONLY McDonald's and "junk food" all day every day would put you in a pretty sad state. You would likely have vitamin deficiencies, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, who knows. You would probably feel mostly like *kitten* for most of your waking life as well.
    I think so far we can agree.

Now consider a balanced diet, where you are getting sufficient vitamins, minerals, fiber, and macro nutrients from a variety of food sources. Let's also assume you are a healthy weight, do regular exercise, and eat a level of calories roughly around your maintenance level. I think you would be considered in good-to-excellent health at this point. I think you would still agree with me.

Now consider that as part of that balanced diet, you occasionally, perhaps even frequently, consume "fast food". Keep in mind that you are getting sufficient micro and macro nutrition, and like the scenario above, exercising and eating a reasonable number of calories.

My claim is that the last 2 scenarios are virtually identical. Given that the OVERALL diet is sound, the individual meals within it do not make or break one's health.

Is this making any sense to you?

i agree with the first couple points - but even "virtually identical" is not identical!

you said you agree that eating a meal such as I described is healthier than a fast food meal. in your example, if you sub out 5 or 6 meals of fat, grease, cholesterol and chemicals and sub in a healthier alternative, it may not make a difference today, tomorrow, or next month, but those small differences add up to a HUGE difference in the long run.

are you familiar with the concept of compounding interest?

Listen man, I'm not saying you have to eat perfectly every meal every day - i certainly don't - and i actually had a crappy pulled pork sandwich last night with sweet potato fries. But I will also straight out say that it was a bad choice, it was unhealthy, and something I won't do very often (meaning once every few weeks).
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Synthetic trans fats have been shown to actually be harmful to you. That is one food category I would certainly avoid.

As for chemicals. Chemicals make up everything. Some people are better at pronunciation than other people. Some chemicals that sound "scary" are quite mundane and present in a variety of natural food sources. Some chemicals that sound mundane are poisonous and can kill you in small doses.

obviously i'm referring to chemicals that aren't naturally present in whatever food product they're in.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...now I want McDonald's and I have this in my head...

rickroll1.gif
  • taso42
    Options
    Pulled pork and sweet potato fries are a bad choice?
    I guess I give up here. Enjoy your elitely healthy lifestyle.
    I just got to the ramen place. I am going to enjoy some tonkatsu.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I haven't given it up, just cut way back.