What has giving up fast food done for you?

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Being vegan and living in the mountains 30 min from the closest fast food place has basically made it so that I never eat it. I believe I have had it twice in the last 8 months. A small fry once, and a bean burrito from taco bell. I so seldom eat it that when I do I can taste how it isn't 100% real food.

It isn't real food? *blink blink*

How can a "food" that doesn't decay, mold, or fall apart after a long time be real food? A real burger and homemade fries would mold and get super nasty within a fairly short amount of time when left unrefrigerated. Not mcdonalds

311490_115260098582058_100002942056928_100296_1895510441_n.jpg

Please. It has to do with moisture content.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I know many vegans who eat "organic" and are over weight. There are health conditions associated with being over weight. Blood pressure, triglycerides, cholesterol, insulin resistances, risk for cardio vascular disease etc...

Are you familiar with the twinkie diet?

This professor ate nothing but junk food, for 2 months i believe. results?
    His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

two months isn't a long enough time to be effected by malnourishment. he may have lost weight, but he wasn't getting nutrients that are essential in the long run. why do you think he stopped if it's so healthy?

I don't see you tracking all your vitamins and minerals... oh ps i lost most of my weight eating whatever i wanted... blood work is fine... organs where checked a few days ago, all is good. Have you even read the vitamins and mineral content on a box of lucky charms?

Yeah, it ain't great.

Also your blood work is fine, miners exceptional. Not trying to brag, just saying that if all you care about is weight, then keep on keeping on. If you want to live longer, skip the lucky charms.

I never seen on blood work someone write "Exceptional." We're just going around in circles. Being at healthy weight is one of the most important health indicators eating lucky charms or not. If i never ate lucky charms and I was obese, I wouldn't live as long.

Did you not see that old man who lived to be like 111 i believe? He accredited his old age to wild women, cigarettes, and booze.

You're trying to play cards that aren't yours, it's not your decision of when it's time for someone to go.

We're not playing the god game in this thread. Lol
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Being vegan and living in the mountains 30 min from the closest fast food place has basically made it so that I never eat it. I believe I have had it twice in the last 8 months. A small fry once, and a bean burrito from taco bell. I so seldom eat it that when I do I can taste how it isn't 100% real food.

How can a "food" that doesn't decay, mold, or fall apart after a long time be real food? A real burger and homemade fries would mold and get super nasty within a fairy short amount of time when left unrefrigerated. Not mcdonalds

Win.

Ummm....okay. That still doesn't make it not real food. Obviously it is food. You can say it isn't as healthy as a other foods..but it is still food.

If it's not made out of real food, how does it suddenly become food just because you put it in your mouth? :)

What exactly isn't real about it? The burger has beef in it and the fries are potatoes...

Are you telling me that we are eating imaginary food?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

How can a "food" that doesn't decay, mold, or fall apart after a long time be real food? A real burger and homemade fries would mold and get super nasty within a fairy short amount of time when left unrefrigerated. Not mcdonalds

Win.

Ummm....okay. That still doesn't make it not real food. Obviously it is food. You can say it isn't as healthy as a other foods..but it is still food.

If it's not made out of real food, how does it suddenly become food just because you put it in your mouth? :)

What exactly isn't real about it? The burger has beef in it and the fries are potatoes...

Are you telling me that we are eating imaginary food?
    If that makes you happy.
  • rockymtnlove
    Options

Win.

Let's look as just the bun shall we?

Look at the ingredient list, actually read it. See how many words you can actually pronounce, then tell me it's real food.

Ingredients: Enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar, yeast, soybean oil and/or canola oil, contains 2% or less of the following: salt, wheat gluten, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, ammonium sulfate, ammonium chloride, dough conditioners (may contain one or more of the following: sodium stearoyl lactylate, datem, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, mono- and diglycerides, ethoxylated monoglycerides, monocalcium phosphate, enzymes, guar gum, calcium peroxide), sorbic acid, calcium propionate and/or sodium propionate (preservatives), soy lecithin.

Or how about some other ingredients that are in a large amount of fast food.
    1. Duck feathers and human hair (L-cysteine)
    2. Sand (silicon dioxide)
    3. Wood (cellulose)
    4. Silly Putty plastic (dimethylpolysiloxane)
    5. Petroleum-derived preservatives (TBHQ)
    6. Soil fertilizer (ammonium sulfate)
    7. Beetle juices (carminic acid, confectioner's glaze)
    8. Meat paste-goop (mechanically separated meat)

Yum.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Right, you're saying calories are what matter. And I believe food is more than just calories. I believe I will feel better and be healthier if I eat 2000 calories worth of "clean" foods than if I eat 2000 calories worth of fast or junk food.

I think you are neglecting macros. yes, calories top the list in terms of weight loss. but I got a hell of a lot of protein (30) from my burger king chicken sandwich tonight, and that adds to my daily goal. no matter where food comes from, it is broken down in the body just the same.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Win.

Look at the ingredient list, actually read it. See how many words you can actually pronounce, then tell me it's real food.

Ingredients: Enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar, yeast, soybean oil and/or canola oil, contains 2% or less of the following: salt, wheat gluten, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, ammonium sulfate, ammonium chloride, dough conditioners (may contain one or more of the following: sodium stearoyl lactylate, datem, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, mono- and diglycerides, ethoxylated monoglycerides, monocalcium phosphate, enzymes, guar gum, calcium peroxide), sorbic acid, calcium propionate and/or sodium propionate (preservatives), soy lecithin.

3. Wood (cellulose)

Yum.

How dare you use facts!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Right, you're saying calories are what matter. And I believe food is more than just calories. I believe I will feel better and be healthier if I eat 2000 calories worth of "clean" foods than if I eat 2000 calories worth of fast or junk food.

I think you are neglecting macros. yes, calories top the list in terms of weight loss. but I got a hell of a lot of protein (30) from my burger king chicken sandwich tonight, and that adds to my daily goal. no matter where food comes from, it is broken down in the body just the same.

Nope
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Win.

3. Wood (cellulose)

Yum.

How dare you use facts!

Okay...but...still doesn't make it not real food. And what's wrong with beetles? they are a delicacy in some countries :)

And the beetle juices are used in a lot of foods...you better go tell all the Shakeology users they aren't eating real food either. :)
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options
    2e0ldoi.png
  • tsh0ck
    Options

Win.

actually, lose. or loss. loose seems to be popular here.

because it's been shown that this is baloney. in short, the study found that it doesn't mold because it dehydrates too quickly.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    2e0ldoi.png

tumblr_m55qpoqgfG1rxevt4o1_400.gif
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Win.

3. Wood (cellulose)

Yum.

How dare you use facts!

Okay...but...still doesn't make it not real food. And what's wrong with beetles? they are a delicacy in some countries :)

And the beetle juices are used in a lot of foods...you better go tell all the Shakeology users they aren't eating real food either. :)

There are no unpronounceable synthetic ingredients in shakeology
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Win.

3. Wood (cellulose)

Yum.

Don't drink water, it's found in anti freeze.

That... doesn't... even... you don't quite understand how this works. You're just making yourself look a lil slow. Sorry bub.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

Nope

so ... burger king protein doesn't count? what about the carbs? can I count those?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Win.

3. Wood (cellulose)

Yum.

How dare you use facts!

There are no unpronounceable synthetic ingredients in shakeology

Look it up. Carminic acid and another beetle thing is in Shakeology. I'd bet you money :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    @coachreddy, what point are you trying to make???

That I agree with the poster who says fast food isn't real food?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    @coachreddy, what point are you trying to make???

He's right and we are wrong
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    OMG SCARY CHEMICAL NAMES!

Would you eat something with the following ingredients?

Water, glucose, fructose, galactose, phenolic glycosides, 6-deoxyaldohexoses (fuctose and rhamnose), saccharose, galacturonans, (1-4) linked D-galactopiranuronic acid, pectin, pectinic acids, polygalacturonic acids, pectinestarase, Citric Acid, L-Malic Acid, D-Isocitric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Succinic Acid, Malonic Acid, Quinic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Adipic Acid, 2-ketogluratic Acid, praline, asparagines, aspartic acid, serine, glutamic acid and arginine. oxidoreductases, transferases, hydrolases and lyases, isomerases and ligases, glucosilglucerides, Carotenoids, tetraterpenes, limonin, aslimonoic acid A-ring lactone, neohesperidosides, flavones (3-hydroxyflavanones, 3-dydroxyflavones, O-glycosyl, aglycones C-glycosylflavones, Anthocyanins, (hesperidin, naringin, poncirin, neoheriocitrin, neohesperidin, rhoifolin, rutin, diosmin, sinensetin, auranetin, tangeritin, hydroxyethylrutinosideres, nobiletin cyanidin-3-glucoside, cyanidina-3.5-diglucoside, peonidin-5-glucoside, delphinidin-3-glucoside, petunidin-3-glucoside, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Pholacine, Vitamin B6, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pantotenic acid, Vitamin A.

Any guess what this is?

An Orange.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Nope

so ... burger king protein doesn't count? what about the carbs? can I count those?
    Nope.