What has giving up fast food done for you?

Options

Replies

• cboutin89
    cboutin89 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I work in retail and there is not much healthy food options for lunch. I use to just eat Mc'ds and Dunkin Donuts because I had no choice, and as an result packed on ALOT of weight. Now taking my diet seriously I bring food from home and rarely eat fast food. I lost my cravings for it and lost nearly 20 pounds( went from 222 to 200). It made a great a difference in my weight loss. I know if I continue to eat fast food in moderation I can achieve my weight goal(140) faster.
  • ElanorRigby
    ElanorRigby Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I watched the documentary Food, Inc. about 6 months ago. Haven't eaten another fast food burger or chicken sandwich since. Tortured animals + nasty bacteria + corn-subsidies-contributing-to-the-ridiculously-low-cost-of-red-meat-and-soda-and-junk-food = nausea. I just avoid the drive-through altogether, except for an occasional fresco bean burrito at taco bell. I know those beans weren't tortured. ;)

If you're really addicted to fast food, that movie will at least give you pause. Plus it's really interesting.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I've never stopped eating fast food and don't intend to. It's not a daily thing but I haven't seen it cause any issues as long as I stay in my budget. It's my treat and I'm not giving it up.

you and me both! :laugh:
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options
    I mean, I'm still trying to figure out where we disagree other than my terminology...

I *think* if you distill it down to the essence, I'm arguing that diets are healthy or unhealthy; whereas you're arguing that individual meals are healthy or unhealthy. It's a fairly subtle distinction I guess.

You (seem to?) be arguing that certain foods should be completely avoided. Whereas I'm arguing that there is no reason to avoid individual foods so long as they are taken in the context of a generally healthy diet.

I believe certain diets are healthy or unhealthy, but for that to be true there must be healthy and unhealthy foods. Food is what makes up a diet. That's all I'm saying.
    I never said people should avoid certain foods completely. I had pizza for breakfast today, and I made it work. But I don't think that was the best and healthiest choice I could have made. Doesn't mean I'm beating myself up, because I'm not. I'm not perfect and I don't live in a perfect world and I adjust accordingly.

i'm putting words in Taso's mouth here, but i think when he says a diet can be unhealthy, he's talking about the quantity, not quality. the pizza you ate this morning wasn't "bad" for you, but if you ate an entire pizza, then followed it up with mcdonald's burgers, fries, and a shake for lunch, then for dinner had homemade fried chicken with homemade biscuits and homemade mac and cheese, then you'd be hitting 6000 cals for the day. that would be "bad'.

spread those items out and get the cals down to 2700 for the day, and you're fine. just as fine as if you ate 2700 cals worth of carrots and beans.

maybe that's not what Taso is saying. but i'm saying it.

along with this.

abandon-thread-gif-cats_zpsd251d25e.gif

Right, you're saying calories are what matter. And I believe food is more than just calories. I believe I will feel better and be healthier if I eat 2000 calories worth of "clean" foods than if I eat 2000 calories worth of fast or junk food.

Plus, you can eat tons more if you're eating clean. When I started losing weight I was on the South Beach Diet and I wasn't even counting calories. When I started to log my food, I found that I was barely eating 1200 a day even though I was snacking all the time and was never hungry.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    out of curiosity taso - what are your views on sodium intake?

you're not going to like this.... are you sure you want to hear this? :smile:

you're going to say it doesn't matter because you work out so much that your body needs the extra sodium?

No it's abotu electrolytes, you do realize the body works on electrical pulses? Na+ and Cl- are called ions, they have a charge. They are very important to health.

ALso the food debate?

SO who's healthier a 700lbs man who eats healthy food or a man at healthy weight and eats pure junk food?

you can't eat healthy are weigh 700 pounds. If you're familiar with Always Sunny, the actor who plays Mac put on 50 pounds before the 7th season on purpose. He tried to do it eating lean chicken and healthy foods - just in huge quantities. He couldn't do it, so he switched to donuts and junk food.

hmm.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    this thread had gotten so much more civil and then DavPul had to come back - along with purple tank top lady whos screen name i can't remember.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight I was on the South Beach Diet and I wasn't even counting calories. When I started to log my food, I found that I was barely eating 1200 a day even though I was snacking all the time and was never hungry.

7e27a0f1-fe40-4e41-bef7-5dfce17646f5.jpg
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    Being vegan and living in the mountains 30 min from the closest fast food place has basically made it so that I never eat it. I believe I have had it twice in the last 8 months. A small fry once, and a bean burrito from taco bell. I so seldom eat it that when I do I can taste how it isn't 100% real food.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    this thread had gotten so much more civil and then DavPul had to come back - along with purple tank top lady whos screen name i can't remember.

DavPul and Sarauk are some of the most knowledgable, supportive, and direct people about. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Being vegan and living in the mountains 30 min from the closest fast food place has basically made it so that I never eat it. I believe I have had it twice in the last 8 months. A small fry once, and a bean burrito from taco bell. I so seldom eat it that when I do I can taste how it isn't 100% real food.

It isn't real food? *blink blink*
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Hmm... I haven't read 13 pages, but DavPul's comment was quite civil.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

DavPul and Sarauk are some of the most knowledgable, supportive, and direct people about. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

DavPul admitted to trolling earlier in the thread. so... there's that. lol
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I know many vegans who eat "organic" and are over weight. There are health conditions associated with being over weight. Blood pressure, triglycerides, cholesterol, insulin resistances, risk for cardio vascular disease etc...

Are you familiar with the twinkie diet?

This professor ate nothing but junk food, for 2 months i believe. results?
    His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

two months isn't a long enough time to be effected by malnourishment. he may have lost weight, but he wasn't getting nutrients that are essential in the long run. why do you think he stopped if it's so healthy?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Hmm... I haven't read 13 pages, but DavPul's comment was quite civil.

read the other 13 pages.
  • eandrsmom
    eandrsmom Posts: 119
    Options
    You may have to pry the Chick Fil A bag from my cold fingers. There are some decent choices to be had if you take the time to research. And even one not so decent choice every now and then is not the end of the world.
  • rockymtnlove
    Options

How can a "food" that doesn't decay, mold, or fall apart after a long time be real food? A real burger and homemade fries would mold and get super nasty within a fairly short amount of time when left unrefrigerated. Not mcdonalds

311490_115260098582058_100002942056928_100296_1895510441_n.jpg
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I know many vegans who eat "organic" and are over weight. There are health conditions associated with being over weight. Blood pressure, triglycerides, cholesterol, insulin resistances, risk for cardio vascular disease etc...

Are you familiar with the twinkie diet?

This professor ate nothing but junk food, for 2 months i believe. results?
    His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

two months isn't a long enough time to be effected by malnourishment. he may have lost weight, but he wasn't getting nutrients that are essential in the long run. why do you think he stopped if it's so healthy?

I don't see you tracking all your vitamins and minerals... oh ps i lost most of my weight eating whatever i wanted... blood work is fine... organs where checked a few days ago, all is good. Have you even read the vitamins and mineral content on a box of lucky charms?

Yeah, it ain't great.

Also your blood work is fine, miners exceptional. Not trying to brag, just saying that if all you care about is weight, then keep on keeping on. If you want to live longer, skip the lucky charms.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

How can a "food" that doesn't decay, mold, or fall apart after a long time be real food? A real burger and homemade fries would mold and get super nasty within a fairy short amount of time when left unrefrigerated. Not mcdonalds

Win.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

How can a "food" that doesn't decay, mold, or fall apart after a long time be real food? A real burger and homemade fries would mold and get super nasty within a fairy short amount of time when left unrefrigerated. Not mcdonalds

Win.

Ummm....okay. That still doesn't make it not real food. Obviously it is food. You can say it isn't as healthy as a other foods..but it is still food.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Win.

Ummm....okay. That still doesn't make it not real food. Obviously it is food. You can say it isn't as healthy as a other foods..but it is still food.

If it's not made out of real food, how does it suddenly become food just because you put it in your mouth? :)