What has giving up fast food done for you?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Pulled pork and sweet potato fries are a bad choice?
    I guess I give up here. Enjoy your elitely healthy lifestyle.
    I just got to the ramen place. I am going to enjoy some tonkatsu.

You don't know how much I hate you right now....so jealous of your tonkatsu. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ^This.
    Also...
    o.O ....if you're seriously trying to argue that "healthy" is a relative term....then we have nothing to talk about.

Who are you? Who was asking to talk to you? What are you even talking about?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    ^This.
    Also...
    o.O ....if you're seriously trying to argue that "healthy" is a relative term....then we have nothing to talk about.

why are you so rude? you're really not as great as you think you are. :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

lol we have different views on nutrition. it's allowed. :)
  • Pimpmonkey
    Options
    I hardly ever ate fast food to start with (mainly because I'm cheap) but now that I don't eat it at all I haven't really noticed a difference other than I feel better.
  • DavPul
    Options
    ^This.
    Also...

Mind. Blown.

So you're saying healthy is a binary term? You eat fast food = you are unhealthy. You don't eat fast food = you are (maybe) healthy?

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get weirder.

Foods do things to you when they enter your body. Some foods do good things and some foods do bad things. Some foods do a little of both. But they affect you in a definite way, not subject to how you think or feel about it.

Care to elaborate? Or does that mystical nonsense just stand in its own?
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I gave up fast food because I couldn't eat it and stay within my calorie goal. Didn't really miss the food (did miss the convenience a bit). After a few months without, I had a burger, fries and shake and felt sick, slow and bloated for a day and a half. This is a very good thing and I have not gone back.
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten fast food in about 6 months. My boyfriend was very overweight before I met him. One way he lost a lot of weight was by not eating fast food. Since he didn't eat fast food, I didn't really eat it either once we got together. I feel so much better. Once you start cooking at home (controlling what is put in the food you make), fast food just doesn't taste good anymore.

I remember the last time I ate my favorite fast food (Taco Bell). I was going Easter dress shopping and just needed to grab something quick to eat. Right after I finished eating I went to the mall. I didn't even get to buy a dress that day because I felt so terrible and bloated. It was a sad day because I knew I'd have to give up my favorite fast food, but the truth is.... It didn't even taste good anymore!!!
  • Sarahwillow
    Sarahwillow Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For me, giving up fast food has actually been THE gateway for realizing that I ate when I was beyond emotional. I would go after work, order, eat this huge meal and then eat when I got home again. I was eating fast food 2 or 3 times a day for at least 3 days out of the week! Always when I was alone.
    Once I learned that you can drive a car without eating fast food, I learned to bring healthy snacks with me when I got in the car, and a bottle of water. It took 2 weeks for me to drive past a fast food place without telling myself over and over you can do this, you can do this. Do you know how many fast food places are between my house and work?? Seven, I would have to go past seven of them every day while chanting you can do this, you can do this.
    You know what? I can and I did :)
  • DavPul
    Options
    ^This.
    Also...

why are you so rude? you're really not as great as you think you are. :)

Rude? We're both being rude, I'm just better at it than you two because I'm an *kitten*.

Yet i am still patiently waiting for either of you to explain your alarmist statements. Any science, or you just know?

3eb8fea1_tumblr_m10nicx37U1rressco1_500_zps3755afd9.gif
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Rude? We're both being rude, I'm just better at it than you two because I'm an *kitten*.

enough said.
  • DavPul
    Options

sigh... you're being argumentative simply to be argumentative. you know exactly what i mean, yet play this game.

if you choose to eat a meal of lean meats, veggies and whole grains instead of a #1 at McD's, you ARE eating a healthier meal. Thus it is less healthy to eat fast food, than to eat a well balanced, whole food meal.

but I know you're going to argue anyway because you get a kick out of it. :)

I've thoroughly inspected this statement and found, sadly, that it is 100% devoid of factual or scientific statements. You just keep repeating the same thing over and over again as if that makes makes Truth.
  • DavPul
    Options

enough said.

First true statement you've made, and i had to serve it up on a platter.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    You can get "healthy" eating fast food. But if you want to be elite, you have to cut it out. It's a personal choice.
    Define elite?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    haha no i didn't really mean it to come off that way - i'm certainly not done, and that's why i'm here - but it just depends on what your goals are, was my point.

the first picture was me before ditching fast food, and the second pic is after. sorry if elite was the wrong word choice.
    So just ditching fast food lead to improvements? Or did actually "working out" do it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

You don't know how much I hate you right now....so jealous of your tonkatsu. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Actually it was "Pork Katsu Curry Ramen".. Ramen noodles in curried broth, a katsu pork cutlet, corn, potatoes, carrots, green onions. You can add an egg for $1 more. It is The Bomb

Here's an image, sans egg
    l.jpg

I have a lofty sodium goal of 6000mg these days, and this sort of food helps me hit my target. :bigsmile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Actually it was "Pork Katsu Curry Ramen".. Ramen noodles in curried broth, a katsu pork cutlet, corn, potatoes, carrots, green onions. You can add an egg for $1 more. It is The Bomb

l.jpg

I have a lofty sodium goal of 6000mg these days, and this sort of food helps me hit my target. :bigsmile:

Tonkatsu is pork cutlet. Ton means pork. Katsu means cutlet. :) (or breaded..etc...along those lines)

And yes...I hate you more because you just put up a picture. -.-
    :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • taso42
    Options
    Pulled pork and sweet potato fries are a bad choice

Tonkatsu is pork cutlet. Ton means pork.

And yes...I hate you more because you just put up a picture. -.-
    :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Your comments just led me to google a few things, and for the very first time I learned that tonkatsu and tonkotsu are 2 entirely different things. :blushing:

This explains a lot. I've been very confused the times when I ordered "tonkotsu" and expecting the fried pork, but it actually comes with sliced (roasted?) pork.

I finally understand.

Well at least this thread was good for something. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    the best advice i have is to learn everything you can about what goes into fast food and how it affects your body. totally grossed me out and turned me off the stuff.
    Want a peer-reviewed scientific study that details exactly how it affects your body instead of a bunch of fear-mongering and broscience? Here you go:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

Here's the commentary from the reviewer at the end:
    This study basically backs up what I’ve been saying for years: a single fast food meal, within the context of a calorie controlled diet, is not death on a plate. It won’t destroy your diet and it won’t make you immediately turn into a big fat pile of blubber. And, frankly, this can be predicted on basic physiology (in terms of nutrient digestion) alone. It’s just nice to see it verified in a controlled setting.

It’s not uncommon for the physique obsessed to literally become social pariahs, afraid to eat out because eating out is somehow defined as ‘unclean’ (never mind that a grilled chicken breast eaten out is fundamentally no different than a grilled chicken breast cooked at home) and fast food is, of course, the death of any diet. This is in addition to the fact that apparently eating fast food makes you morally inferior as well. Well, that’s what bodybuilders and other orthorexics will tell you anyhow.

Except that it’s clearly not. Given caloric control, the body’s response to a given set of nutrients, with the exception of blood lipids would appear to be more determined by the total caloric and macro content of that meal more than the source of the food.

In terms of the hormonal response, clean vs. unclean just doesn’t matter, it’s all about calories and macros.

Which is what I’ve been saying all along.
  • taso42
    Options
    Bless your heart, AnvilHead.

I wonder if the coach guy will buy it. He might come back with a strong rebuttal like, "but it's still fast food, therefore it is unhealthy". And then... we'd have nothing.