What has giving up fast food done for you?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This. You can get "healthy" eating fast food. But if you want to be elite, you have to cut it out. It's a personal choice.

beastbeforeafter.jpg

Are you saying you're elite?

haha no i didn't really mean it to come off that way - i'm certainly not done, and that's why i'm here - but it just depends on what your goals are, was my point.

the first picture was me before ditching fast food, and the second pic is after. sorry if elite was the wrong word choice.

Well great job on your fitness goals and progress :)

And OP - the only way to avoid the fast food is to avoid the fast food. There isn't really any tricks or shortcuts. It's a mental game that you have to figure out how to overcome yourself if this is really an "addiction."
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options
    Wow. People on this forum are so quick to get hostile over every little thing. Lighten up, people.
    Fast food is bad for you. Anyone wanna argue? If you choose to still eat it, good for you. Doesn't make you a better person. Doesn't make you a worse one.

I gave it up because I changed my diet and my tastes so that rather than always feeling deprived, I could enjoy eating within my diet all the time. Not just out of it on the weekend, or whatever. There is a better way. IMO, if you're still "rewarding yourself" with things that are bad for you, you're doing it wrong. If you're still holding up unhealthy food as "the good stuff" you're gonna have a heck of a time keeping the weight off over a long period of time.
    Why feed the addiction slower, when you can just break it?

I think this is pretty tame for a forum thread -here and anywhere else. Don't really see a lot of hositlity in the thread O.o...just most people saying that overall, moderation is key, that they gave it up for other health reasons or that they gave it up and saved money. o.O

He's talking about all the people that jumped that one dude for saying "elite." I don't know why so many people cared.

I am a she, but true ^.^
    All the guy was saying was that you will be healthiER if you cut out fast food. Even included pics as evidence. People just can't take it -.-

Also, the thread was for people who HAVE cut out fast food to share what it has done for them. I don't know why all these people feel the need to comment, when they haven't cut out fast food. Just to criticize someone else's decision.

Nobody was criticizing his decision..not at all.

They were criticizing his choice of words. Elite isn't a word you go throwing around.

No one here cares if you cut out fast food or not. We all know that everyone has their preferences and whatever works for them - kudos. So...just to let you know. Him getting jumped on had absolutely nothing to do with him not eating fast food. :)

Right. Getting bent out of shape because of word choice is exactly what I'm talking about. We all knew what he meant.

And sure, you can look super muscular and still eat fast food. But you will be healthier if you don't eat it. That's just a fact.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

He said "if you want to be elite you have to cut it out" which isn't true. Michael Phelps is pretty elite. Dave Tate is pretty elite. They eat fast food. The problem is the absolutism of that statement.

To be fair, Michael Phelps exercises for like... 12 hours a day. lol just to get enough calories you'd HAVE to eat fast food! :tongue:

Hun...that's not true...lol. Even if a meal is 1000 calories..it can fit into people's calories goals by budgeting alone. Just putting it out there. NOT suggesting that people only eat one or two meals of fast food a day...but...it isn't something that you have to workout 12 hours to be able to eat.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Wow. People on this forum are so quick to get hostile over every little thing. Lighten up, people.
    Fast food is bad for you. Anyone wanna argue? If you choose to still eat it, good for you. Doesn't make you a better person. Doesn't make you a worse one.

I gave it up because I changed my diet and my tastes so that rather than always feeling deprived, I could enjoy eating within my diet all the time. Not just out of it on the weekend, or whatever. There is a better way. IMO, if you're still "rewarding yourself" with things that are bad for you, you're doing it wrong. If you're still holding up unhealthy food as "the good stuff" you're gonna have a heck of a time keeping the weight off over a long period of time.
    Why feed the addiction slower, when you can just break it?

I think this is pretty tame for a forum thread -here and anywhere else. Don't really see a lot of hositlity in the thread O.o...just most people saying that overall, moderation is key, that they gave it up for other health reasons or that they gave it up and saved money. o.O

He's talking about all the people that jumped that one dude for saying "elite." I don't know why so many people cared.

I am a she, but true ^.^
    All the guy was saying was that you will be healthiER if you cut out fast food. Even included pics as evidence. People just can't take it -.-

Also, the thread was for people who HAVE cut out fast food to share what it has done for them. I don't know why all these people feel the need to comment, when they haven't cut out fast food. Just to criticize someone else's decision.

Nobody was criticizing his decision..not at all.

They were criticizing his choice of words. Elite isn't a word you go throwing around.

No one here cares if you cut out fast food or not. We all know that everyone has their preferences and whatever works for them - kudos. So...just to let you know. Him getting jumped on had absolutely nothing to do with him not eating fast food. :)

Right. Getting bent out of shape because of word choice is exactly what I'm talking about. We all knew what he meant.

And sure, you can look super muscular and still eat fast food. But you will be healthier if you don't eat it. That's just a fact.

No one was getting that bent out of shape. I think you are taking it waayyyy more defensively than anyone who made a comment about the elite thing. Even the guy isn't upset. Maybe we should just drop it and let it go now.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I haven't stopped eating it, I love In N Out, I just fit it into my calories and don't eat it often. Oh, by the way, in best shape of my life!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

He said "if you want to be elite you have to cut it out" which isn't true. Michael Phelps is pretty elite. Dave Tate is pretty elite. They eat fast food. The problem is the absolutism of that statement.

To be fair, Michael Phelps exercises for like... 12 hours a day. lol just to get enough calories you'd HAVE to eat fast food! :tongue:

Hun...that's not true...lol. Even if a meal is 1000 calories..it can fit into people's calories goals by budgeting alone. Just putting it out there. NOT suggesting that people only eat one or two meals of fast food a day...but...it isn't something that you have to workout 12 hours to be able to eat.

it was mostly a joke, hence the smiley face.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

it was mostly a joke, hence the smiley face.

hehehe :tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

hehehe :tongue: :flowerforyou:

and yes you're right, a bunch of grumbly people on the internet aren't really worth getting upset about. :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

No I agree with CoachReddy. Lots of elite athletes say they HAVE to eat fast food because they need the calorie density and the convenience, and they don't need the 'bulk' of eating that many calories of whole foods when they're working that hard that many hours a day.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've never stopped eating fast food and don't intend to. It's not a daily thing but I haven't seen it cause any issues as long as I stay in my budget. It's my treat and I'm not giving it up.

^ This.

^Same.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Fast food is bad for you. Anyone wanna argue?

*raises hand*

I would like to argue. Why is fast food bad for me? Is slow food from a sit down restaurant better? Or do i have to only eat food made at home? Does no one ever get fat eating homemade food?

Seriously, what are you basing your statement on?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

No I agree with CoachReddy. Lots of elite athletes say they HAVE to eat fast food because they need the calorie density and the convenience, and they don't need the 'bulk' of eating that many calories of whole foods when they're working that hard that many hours a day.

Wow..my bad. I totally misread what he said. Thanks for correcting me Bean. I read what he wrote and interpreted in my head as you have to work 12 hours to even be able to eat fast food. *facedesk* Need to pay better attention. :)
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I get mcdonald's fries when I can, I love them!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

*raises hand*

I would like to argue. Why is fast food bad for me? Is slow food from a sit down restaurant better? Or do i have to only eat food made at home? Does no one ever get fat eating homemade food?

can you argue why it ISN'T bad for you?

Also, why - in a thread about quitting fast food - do people feel compelled to yell and scream about how awesome they are for NOT quitting it. Who cares? This thread isn't for you anyway. There's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out.
  • DavPul
    Options
    This. You can get "healthy" eating fast food. But if you want to be elite, you have to cut it out. It's a personal choice.

beastbeforeafter.jpg

Are you saying you're elite?

haha no i didn't really mean it to come off that way - i'm certainly not done, and that's why i'm here - but it just depends on what your goals are, was my point.

the first picture was me before ditching fast food, and the second pic is after i began a serious fitness regimen accompanied with sound calorie choices. Sorry if elite was the wrong word choice.

Fixed
  • DavPul
    Options

*raises hand*

Also, why - in a thread about quitting fast food - do people feel compelled to yell and scream about how awesome they are for NOT quitting it. Who cares? This thread isn't for you anyway. There's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out.

Yes. Because it's food. Food is neither inherently good or bad.

And I'm here to keep people like you from filling people's heads with misinformation that makes them think that getting into shape is really really hard and quit out of frustration. Why are you here?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

*raises hand*

Yes. Because it's food. Food is neither inherently good or bad.

And I'm here to keep people like you from filling people's heads with misinformation that makes them think that getting into shape is really really hard and quit out of frustration. Why are you here?

how is that your job, and who are you to say what is and isn't misinformation? why is your speech more important than mine?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Threads like this always inspire me to get fast food for dinner. Thanks a lot for sabotaging me, you *kitten*. Double Decker Tacos perhaps. Though I had ramen in mind. But ramen is also apparently very bad for you. So either way, at least I will eat something "bad for you" :bigsmile:
  • tealbubbles
    tealbubbles Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It has saved me SOOOO much money!! I actually am shocked at the end of the month at my bank account - I used to use debit all the time, and it all added up without me even noticing. One of my jobs has me on the road a lot, and fast food just became part of my routine - sometimes every day, or even twice a day. I would drive just up to Tim Hortons or McDonalds as part of my routine drive, hungry or not....it was one of my stops. Numerous times when dieting I would swear off fast food, but then would give in after a day or 2 and think " I'll just have a salad"... and next thing you know I was back to regular fast food again :(

Lately, things have been a little tighter financially for me, and in addition to dieting, I've stopped eating fast food to save money, and surprised myself at how quickly I can prepare a healthy meal at home. Little by little time ticked away, and now, other than this morning when I stopped at McD's for a muffin, I haven't eaten fast food in weeks. I was with a friend awhile ago who wanted to stop at McD's and i agreed and had a hamburger - I could only take a few bites - it was DISGUSTING to me!! I couldn't believe how my taste buds had changed!! (I know they quickly re-adapt though when you start eating that stuff again so am enjoying my disgust of the taste while it lasts lol!)

Anyways, long story short.... after awhile, I stopped missing it.... and appreciate the extra money I have in my bank account!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I get less headaches when I don't eat fast food. I am less fatigued, also.

By reading all the argumentative whiney posts above, however...I remember why it's been so freakin' long since I bothered responding to anyone on the boards...