What has giving up fast food done for you?

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    While I don't believe fast food is innately evil, I have found that giving up has helped me succeed in striving for a healthier lifestyle. There are a few reasons why:

- fastfood was a mindset for me that I needed to break. Planning, counting calories, and making food at home has become an important ritual and keeps me mindful
    - the salt, extra fat, and my mandatory Diet Coke sparks a downward spiral for me. It's an addiction for me, and I can't "have just one." In this realm, moderation doesn't work for me - only abstinence.
    - the smell... I still love it. When I'm around it, it makes me want it more. And more, And more.
    - it starts me thinking of all the other things that used to go with my fast food runs. A stressful, crazy job. An ugly relationship. Lots of overeating. Lower self-esteem. Why go there?
    - when I do indulge, I don't like how it makes me feel. Because moderation isn't my strength, I don't stop when I'm full... and if I PAID for the meal, I'm going to EAT the entire MEAL. Afterwards, I feel sluggish and bloated and just want to go lie on the couch and watch tv.
    - fast food, and restaurants in general, kinda freak me out. I've seen the kitchens, know a few people who work in those kitchens, and have seen first-hand their practices. I do enjoy a meal out on occasion, but I seek out restaurants where I have researched their practices or, in some cases, have actually asked to see their kitchens. A little mad, maybe... but... it has REALLY opened my eyes and closed my mouth.

So that's my extreme plan - total avoidance. Some will say it's not sustainable or realistic, but it has been for me for the last ten years.

I just creeped your profile, and you are totally awesome and inspiring. You have a new stalker fan club president. (it's me!)

Anyway, I don't even think it sounds extreme the way you describe it. I think everyone has trigger foods that are best to avoid moving forward. Mine is nutella, which is substantially easier to avoid, but I get it. Congrats on your success.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    While I don't believe fast food is innately evil, I have found that giving up has helped me succeed in striving for a healthier lifestyle. There are a few reasons why:

- fastfood was a mindset for me that I needed to break. Planning, counting calories, and making food at home has become an important ritual and keeps me mindful
    - the salt, extra fat, and my mandatory Diet Coke sparks a downward spiral for me. It's an addiction for me, and I can't "have just one." In this realm, moderation doesn't work for me - only abstinence.
    - the smell... I still love it. When I'm around it, it makes me want it more. And more, And more.
    - it starts me thinking of all the other things that used to go with my fast food runs. A stressful, crazy job. An ugly relationship. Lots of overeating. Lower self-esteem. Why go there?
    - when I do indulge, I don't like how it makes me feel. Because moderation isn't my strength, I don't stop when I'm full... and if I PAID for the meal, I'm going to EAT the entire MEAL. Afterwards, I feel sluggish and bloated and just want to go lie on the couch and watch tv.
    - fast food, and restaurants in general, kinda freak me out. I've seen the kitchens, know a few people who work in those kitchens, and have seen first-hand their practices. I do enjoy a meal out on occasion, but I seek out restaurants where I have researched their practices or, in some cases, have actually asked to see their kitchens. A little mad, maybe... but... it has REALLY opened my eyes and closed my mouth.

So that's my extreme plan - total avoidance. Some will say it's not sustainable or realistic, but it has been for me for the last ten years.

These are all actually valid reasons to avoid fast/convenience foods. Looking at your ticker it is obviously working for you.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options

I just creeped your profile, and you are totally awesome and inspiring. You have a new stalker fan club president. (it's me!)

Anyway, I don't even think it sounds extreme the way you describe it. I think everyone has trigger foods that are best to avoid moving forward. Mine is nutella, which is substantially easier to avoid, but I get it. Congrats on your success.

Why, thank you Madame President. The fan club meets the third Thursday every month. :happy: At McDonald's.
  • grillingirl
    grillingirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I guess you who are still eating fast food all of the time haven't ever been diagnosed with high cholesterol or high blood pressure. The older you get to more likely you'll at least cut way back on the fast food. I also find that since I don't eat it very often any more that when I do it can sort of make me feel almost sick afterwards. I feel like a main reason for wanting to lose weight is to become healthier...and that can't be done while eating fast food all of the time!
  • sugarxmexsweet
    Options
    Well I watched Supersize Me last Friday and I haven't picked up a burger since. I didn't really crave it any way I just ate it when I was with my dad on the weekend.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I used to eat only whole organic foods. I worked out. I was obese.

Now my lifestyle is different- I eat a lot less organic, I eat more dairy, more "fast foods," more "processed foods" and I work out. My body fat percentage is 20.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Everyone with a brain agrees that a big mac and fries isn't as "healthy" as a plate of steamed veggies with some sort of lean meat. But the point Taso is making is that you can be healthy and eat fast food too. Not SOLELY fast food. I would even assume he means not PRIMARILY fast food.

I don't eat McDonald's ever. I think of Burger King as a public restroom and no more. But if I'm out on am adventure, I will swing by a Taco Bell now and again and it's not the end of the world. I happen to think a lot of fast food is bad for you. I also think soda and aspartame are bad for you. I occasionally indulge in all of the above.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Now my lifestyle is different- I eat a lot less organic, I eat more dairy, more "fast foods," more "processed foods" and I work out. My body fat percentage is 20.

Everyone with a brain agrees that a big mac and fries isn't as "healthy" as a plate of steamed veggies with some sort of lean meat. But the point Taso is making is that you can be healthy and eat fast food too. Not SOLELY fast food. I would even assume he means not PRIMARILY fast food.

I don't eat McDonald's ever. I think of Burger King as a public restroom and no more. But if I'm out on am adventure, I will swing by a Taco Bell now and again and it's not the end of the world. I happen to think a lot of fast food is bad for you. I also think soda and aspartame are bad for you. I occasionally indulge in all of the above.

Absolutely agree with all of this. However, Taso eats fast food every day according to him. Also they were having fun trolling me, and for some reason I was indulging. :P
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Absolutely agree with all of this. However, Taso eats fast food every day according to him. Also they were having fun trolling me, and for some reason I was indulging. :P

Disagreeing =/= trolling.
  • dougnaudra
    dougnaudra Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was running into the same problems being a busy mom and working. I would hit the gym and not have enough time to go home and fix something healthy. They opened a Panera Bread where I live and that has been a life savor for me!! I eat a very healthy salad for lunch when I am on the go!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Here's the thing coach. You get called out because you make absolute claims and don't back them up. Then you ask people to prove a negative, like "show me it doesn't lead to...". I've seen you do this on several threads.
    Logic doesn't work that way. If you make a claim, the onus is on you to back it up with facts. You should take a logic and debate class.
    Also, your before and "elite" after pics don't prove anything. There are too many confounding variables. You may have driven a red car before and switched to a green one to get elite. See, the logic doesn't work.
    Try science.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've never stopped eating fast food and don't intend to. It's not a daily thing but I haven't seen it cause any issues as long as I stay in my budget. It's my treat and I'm not giving it up.
    Same for me. I haven't completely given up fast food, but I do eat it a lot less, and I tend to choose better foods when I do (e.g., grilled chicken club w/o mayo instead of a quarter pounder with cheese. hold the fries).

I haven't almost completely given up ground beef. I used to LOVE burgers, but I really like chicken too, and it fits so much better into my life.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Here's the thing coach. You get called out because you make absolute claims and don't back them up. Then you ask people to prove a negative, like "show me it doesn't lead to...". I've seen you do this on several threads.
    Logic doesn't work that way. If you make a claim, the onus is on you to back it up with facts. You should take a logic and debate class.
    Also, your before and "elite" after pics don't prove anything. There are too many confounding variables. You may have driven a red car before and switched to a green one to get elite. See, the logic doesn't work.
    Try science.

THIS!!! Here is my absolutist claim for the day: I blame the lack of quality science education for ALL our problems!
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I didn't give it up but that is because I only eat it when I am drunk and the pizza place has an insane lineup. McDonald's 2 cheeseburger meal with large fries, vanilla milkshake and 4 packs mchicken (what even is that/who cares when drunk) sauce -everytime. This doesn't appear to affect me as I don't get drunk enough to stumble into a McDonalds that often anymore. Sometimes I will still grab the occasional tim hortons breakfast bagel on early morning road trips. I don't see anything wrong with the occasional fast food feast, I would just rather eat food that tastes better and is homemade in my opinion.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Disagreeing =/= trolling.

I was doing both. Can't speak for Taso, but me, both. Definitely
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just didnt think science was necessary to back up "lean meat, veggies and whole grains is a healthier meal than a McDonald's extra value meal"

But when I get home I'll find it for you anyway. Lol.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just didnt think science was necessary to back up "lean meat, veggies and whole grains is a healthier meal than a McDonald's extra value meal"

I think your main problem is that you are advocating total abstinance forever, and refusing to accept that the odd fast food meal is not going to hurt anyone.

I think everyone is grown up enough to understand that a diet consisting of 100% fast food is a bad thing, but for many a diet consisting of 100% grilled meat and veggies is not realistic, achievable or even wanted.

if people have a large enough calorie allowance then the odd burger is going to fit into their calorie allowance and macro tagets quite easily, but not so easy for people on 1200 calories a day,

Eating fatty foods is not what makes you fat - eating more calories than you burn does. And that will apply even if it is an excess consiting of 100% grilled meat and veggies.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Your original statement was:

"This. You can get "healthy" eating fast food. But if you want to be elite, you have to cut it out. It's a personal choice."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    the best advice i have is to learn everything you can about what goes into fast food and how it affects your body. totally grossed me out and turned me off the stuff.
    Want a peer-reviewed scientific study that details exactly how it affects your body instead of a bunch of fear-mongering and broscience? Here you go:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

Here's the commentary from the reviewer at the end:
    This study basically backs up what I’ve been saying for years: a single fast food meal, within the context of a calorie controlled diet, is not death on a plate. It won’t destroy your diet and it won’t make you immediately turn into a big fat pile of blubber. And, frankly, this can be predicted on basic physiology (in terms of nutrient digestion) alone. It’s just nice to see it verified in a controlled setting.

It’s not uncommon for the physique obsessed to literally become social pariahs, afraid to eat out because eating out is somehow defined as ‘unclean’ (never mind that a grilled chicken breast eaten out is fundamentally no different than a grilled chicken breast cooked at home) and fast food is, of course, the death of any diet. This is in addition to the fact that apparently eating fast food makes you morally inferior as well. Well, that’s what bodybuilders and other orthorexics will tell you anyhow.

Except that it’s clearly not. Given caloric control, the body’s response to a given set of nutrients, with the exception of blood lipids would appear to be more determined by the total caloric and macro content of that meal more than the source of the food.

In terms of the hormonal response, clean vs. unclean just doesn’t matter, it’s all about calories and macros.

Which is what I’ve been saying all along.

CoachReddy - I would suggest you read this.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 75 pounds and I eat fast food weekly...everything is okay in moderation! How many times do ya have to hear it before you believe it!!!? It's a lifestyle, not a diet! I'm not giving up something I love for my whole entire life, that's a terrifying thought!!! :tongue:
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options
    Everyone with a brain agrees that a big mac and fries isn't as "healthy" as a plate of steamed veggies with some sort of lean meat.

Nope. I assumed that too and yet, someone disagreed.