SKINNY VS CURVY

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just read an article that said that in auction someone purchased the white dress she wore in the seven year itch and when they tried to zip it up on a size 2 US mannequine it wouldn't zip and they had to get a smaller figure for the dress, at 5'5" her weght averages 118# and her figure was slim. She had a natural hour glass figure with boobs and a butt. Her dimensions would respectfully hold up today's hollywood standards, although she'd be on a little softer side rather than a firmer musculature.

I have no idea if that is true or not, but I am 5'5" and when I was young I weighed about 112-115 lbs and wore a US size 7. I seriously doubt Marilyn Monroe ever wore a US size 2. She had too much hips for it.

She had a tiny waist....
    Her hips were tiny, too. They were just bigger than her waist.

I'm 5'3" and at 115 pounds (and a similar build to Marilyn) and at 115 pounds, I am a size 3, US.

Exactly, you weigh less, are 2 inches shorter and still don't wear a size 2.

I might. Size 3 is juniors. Size 2 is women's. Cut differently.

Regardless, as we all know, you can take 10 women the same height and weight and they could wear 10 different sizes.

Your argument is silly.

You said you had a figure similar to hers. If all 10 women had a figure similar to hers, they'd likely wear the same size.
    *sigh*
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    yeah--many women actually do strive for the 12 year old boy look. Look at the people with goal weights that correspond to a BMI of 16, 17, 18...yeah...sorry, that's just not going to be curvy for 95% of people--it will be shapeless and unhealthy.

You don't understand body shape and bone structure. I could weigh 80 pounds and would not have a "12-year-old boy's" shape. I don't lose in my breasts and my hips will always be significantly larger than my waist. I will always have a curvy body, no matter what I weigh.

(Not that I'm going for 80 pounds.)

However, some women have straight shapes and will have that straight shape regardless of weight or muscle tone.

Wrong, I do understand bone structure. I think you fail to understand what extreme weight loss will do to a person's body--okay, maybe there are some people out there who would look like a 12 year old boy with hips. lol but even those are few and far between.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i wish i was curvy. but since im not ill have to go with a fit and toned body. i like my legs wish i had a waist and have decent sized boobs. no butt. so work work work!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Muscled like my other half...

sprogress.jpg

Wow. Incredible. What dedication she must have.

13 days into her diet - she listened incredibly well as I helped her bulk to add muscle and now dieting how I instruct to the exact word. He results are definitely due to pure dedication and unwavering effort.
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MY BODY....

I LOVE MY BODY...

I LOVE MY BODY...

I LOVE MY BODY...

I LOVE MY BODY...

I LOVE MY BODY...

I LOVE MY BODY...

everyone read this and stop bickering.
  • serapi
    Options
    Marylyn Monroe was gorgeous....

But so is Angelina Jolie, Bo Derek, Jennifer Lawrence, Sandra Bullock, Kate Middleton, Meryl Streep....

All different body types, sizes and proportions....

All curvy, lean, skinny, whatever....sexy as hell.
  • serapi
    Options
    Muscled like my other half...

sprogress.jpg

Wow. Incredible. What dedication she must have.

13 days into her diet - she listened incredibly well as I helped her bulk to add muscle and now dieting how I instruct to the exact word. He results are definitely due to pure dedication and unwavering effort.

Good for her! her look would not be my own preference, but power to women who work hard and love their bodies.
  • DaisyAliceB
    DaisyAliceB Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you want a different body type, you should find new parents.

^This.

I could lose weight until the cows came home and I'd be curvy until I was dangerously underweight. even in my early-mid teens when I had a BMI between 17 and 19 I was curvy because I'll always deposit fat on my buttocks and breasts. However, i have friends who are in a healthy/higher weight range who have naturally athletic body types which make them look "skinny". Personally I like a curve on a woman, but for many, that won't happen without them being overweight. I think healthy and confident are far more important.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    The only people I've ever encountered that refer to themselves as "curvy" are people who aren't comfortable with facing the reality that they're overweight.
    You haven't met me, and my grasp of reality is spot on. Thanks though.
  • Grimlock69
    Options
    I like them both!
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    ARE WE STILL ON THIS????
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Like my husband says, "I want curves not angles!" LOL
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    yeah--many women actually do strive for the 12 year old boy look. Look at the people with goal weights that correspond to a BMI of 16, 17, 18...yeah...sorry, that's just not going to be curvy for 95% of people--it will be shapeless and unhealthy.

You don't understand body shape and bone structure. I could weigh 80 pounds and would not have a "12-year-old boy's" shape. I don't lose in my breasts and my hips will always be significantly larger than my waist. I will always have a curvy body, no matter what I weigh.

(Not that I'm going for 80 pounds.)

However, some women have straight shapes and will have that straight shape regardless of weight or muscle tone.

Wrong, I do understand bone structure. I think you fail to understand what extreme weight loss will do to a person's body--okay, maybe there are some people out there who would look like a 12 year old boy with hips. lol but even those are few and far between.
    It won't make your bones narrower. I know that.

I've been 102 pounds and I have been 166 pounds. I know what it looks like on me with a curvy frame.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I HATE THESE THREADS.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I just want to look good naked !

This I don't want to cringe everytime I look at myself naked in the mirror. I would love to be curvy personally.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I want curves, i'm pretty much a stick right now. I would love hips...oh what i would do for hips....and no child birth does not give you hips. Lies i tell you!
  • Unforgotten13
    Unforgotten13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    "The only people I've ever encountered that refer to themselves as "curvy" are people who aren't comfortable with facing the reality that they're overweight."

The only people I've ever encountered that were as snotty as you were insecure with themselves in one way or another and needed to bring other people down to feel like less of a piece of ****. Pick on someone your own size. I'm by no means overweight, but I still see no need for that kind of a low hit on a site where people are trying to lose weight. Curvy is a shape, not a weight. A lot of it has to do with genetics, bone structure, and where exactly you focus when you're exercising. Just because you're a stuck up, nasty mean person does NOT mean you have to bring down the women who are trying to better themselves and be healthy. Now go kick your puppy, throw a hissy fit, and then maybe go call some Kindergarteners names at the playground. In other words, if you're going to be a bully, do it somewhere that people don't see right through your pathetic charade.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    From a male point of view, I definitely prefer curvy, and I don't know many, if any, men that prefer skinny over nice curves. I think Marylin Monroe, dress size 12 to 16 (depending on timeline) had the ultimate body!
    She was much smaller than that by today's clothing size standards.
    True. Today's 12 to 16 is an 8 to 12 back then. But even an 8 is considered fat now. So Marilyn was not skinny by today's standard. Even if you want to compare clothing size. Marilyn had some dangerous curves.

Ummm, Marilyn was a size 2 by today's clothing standards, folks. Her waist was 21 inches and her hips were 35.

Kind of ironic that she's held up as the icon of large, curvy women when she was curvy because she had an ungodly small waist. Look it up instead of just guessing.

Thank you. Someone show me a damn size 8 with a 21" waist. I'm a 6 and I have a 25" waist. Seriously. Stop dragging my girl Marilyn into the Skinny vs Curvy hot garbage. She was TINY. You can have tatas and still be tiny, folks. News flash.

From what I can tell she wouldn't fit any of today's standard size clothing without serious tailoring. At 35-22-35 she would be between a 4 and a 6, and have to have the clothes tailored by like 5" in the waist.
    http://clairehunter.com/dress-size-calculator.htm

Yes, I just read an article that said that in auction someone purchased the white dress she wore in the seven year itch and when they tried to zip it up on a size 2 US mannequine it wouldn't zip and they had to get a smaller figure for the dress, at 5'5" her weght averages 118# and her figure was slim. She had a natural hour glass figure with boobs and a butt. Her dimensions would respectfully hold up today's hollywood standards, although she'd be on a little softer side rather than a firmer musculature.

Just read up on this. What I found was her measurments were 36-24-37 (Perfect recipe for curves right there!) as reported by her dressmaker. I am 38-31-41 and wearing sizes 12-14. So She was definately smaller than that but I'm thinking just in comparison she would be around a 6 in todays clothes. Also, she was about 5'5". And to add my own personal opinion, I think the only ones who consider and 8 fat are the ones running the modeling industry.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    DeadHorse.jpg
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    It's just as unattainable to want boobs a bum and a thin waist as it is to want a stick skinny super model body. How many people have Kim Kardashian's figure? How many people have the average supermodel's figure?