SKINNY VS CURVY

Options

Replies

• fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    CURVES BEAT BONE ! annorexic is miff , so is obesity . but in general CURVES

i dont want curves tho . women should want curves lol

this!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    DeadHorse.jpg

Haha! I love this, thanks!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    What do you prefer?

SKINNY or CURVY?

What body shape do you have / want? :-)

i prefer FIT!

FIT!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Just read up on this. What I found was her measurments were 36-24-37 (Perfect recipe for curves right there!) as reported by her dressmaker. I am 38-31-41 and wearing sizes 12-14. So She was definately smaller than that but I'm thinking just in comparison she would be around a 6 in todays clothes. Also, she was about 5'5". And to add my own personal opinion, I think the only ones who consider and 8 fat are the ones running the modeling industry.

I have the same measurements (35-24-37 and 5'5") and wear mostly American size 6s and a few 4s. I am the same size as Marilyn in many pictures, but I think I'm smaller than her infamous bathing suit picture:

marilyn-monroe-swimsuit.jpg

Like most women, she wasn't the same exact same size her entire life.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    @mavd: Lucky Duck!!! Thanks for the confirmation! I think she was beautiful no matter what!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Have you people factored in the vanity sizing we face today in reference to Marilyn's size and how she compares to the rest of us? Because no skinny vs. curvy Marilyn Monroe conversation is complete without discussion modern vanity sizing!
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you want a different body type, you should find new parents.

I presume you mean this only to an extent :) I think I know what you mean though..
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.... I'm "curvy" and it's nothing but a pain in the *kitten*! Try buying jeans when your waist and hips are so disproportioned. Size 12 rear and a size 8 waist. You end up compromising in a 10 that won't stay up and is too tight in the butt and thighs. At least now they reconize women are built different and have various "fit's" to pick from. I don't know why there is such a debate about the issue. Love what you got and work to make it the best it can be... Confidence is sexy as hell!
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Have you people factored in the vanity sizing we face today in reference to Marilyn's size and how she compares to the rest of us? Because no skinny vs. curvy Marilyn Monroe conversation is complete without discussion modern vanity sizing!

I think that's where things get messed up and people start to argue, because since Marilyn's time clothing sizes have gotten smaller and smaller! Which is stupid I think. I don't really care what the number on the tag is, just as long as it fits!
  • BobinNC66
    BobinNC66 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    From a male point of view, I definitely prefer curvy, and I don't know many, if any, men that prefer skinny over nice curves. I think Marylin Monroe, dress size 12 to 16 (depending on timeline) had the ultimate body!
    She was much smaller than that by today's clothing size standards.
    True. Today's 12 to 16 is an 8 to 12 back then. But even an 8 is considered fat now. So Marilyn was not skinny by today's standard. Even if you want to compare clothing size. Marilyn had some dangerous curves.

Ummm, Marilyn was a size 2 by today's clothing standards, folks. Her waist was 21 inches and her hips were 35.

Kind of ironic that she's held up as the icon of large, curvy women when she was curvy because she had an ungodly small waist. Look it up instead of just guessing.

Thank you. Someone show me a damn size 8 with a 21" waist. I'm a 6 and I have a 25" waist. Seriously. Stop dragging my girl Marilyn into the Skinny vs Curvy hot garbage. She was TINY. You can have tatas and still be tiny, folks. News flash.

From what I can tell she wouldn't fit any of today's standard size clothing without serious tailoring. At 35-22-35 she would be between a 4 and a 6, and have to have the clothes tailored by like 5" in the waist.
    http://clairehunter.com/dress-size-calculator.htm

Yes, I just read an article that said that in auction someone purchased the white dress she wore in the seven year itch and when they tried to zip it up on a size 2 US mannequine it wouldn't zip and they had to get a smaller figure for the dress, at 5'5" her weght averages 118# and her figure was slim. She had a natural hour glass figure with boobs and a butt. Her dimensions would respectfully hold up today's hollywood standards, although she'd be on a little softer side rather than a firmer musculature.

She was a complete freak of nature, that's why she was who she was.. and that's why she's been dead so long and people are still talking about her. Nothing about her was "normal".

How is she a complete freak of nature? They're talking about her body, not her in general.

OK I will buy into some of the arguements that today she might be in a smaller dress size like an 8..but those saying 2 and that she had a 21" waist....not in this picture, and this is the curvy I was originally meaning as my preferred curvy. She was a pretty amazing woman and although had her demons and was extremely insecure and lonely despite all she had. It is amazing that mentioning her still brings up so much controversy.

marilynmonroe.jpeg
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Catherine Zeta Jones in Entrapment ... serious curves ... not overweight.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Hmmmm.... I'm "curvy" and it's nothing but a pain in the *kitten*! Try buying jeans when your waist and hips are so disproportioned. Size 12 rear and a size 8 waist. You end up compromising in a 10 that won't stay up and is too tight in the butt and thighs. At least now they reconize women are built different and have various "fit's" to pick from. I don't know why there is such a debate about the issue. Love what you got and work to make it the best it can be... Confidence is sexy as hell!

Thank you! I hate this debate as well because I will never be "curvy" without surgery, lol. When I was overweight, I was overweight everywhere (bigger boobs, big tummy, big butt). Since you can't spot reduce, when I lost weight, I lost it all and not have small boobs, small tummy and small butt. I don't think I could do enough squats or chest presses or whatever and get any curves to speak of. I suppose if I could waive my magic wand and be curvy, I would, but it doesn't work that way. I try to work what God gave me and embrace it and am grateful for the Victoria's Secret super sexy push up padded bra, lol!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    It was really common for starlets to be photographed with low-angle photography to appear larger than they actually were. If you tip your camera down, your subject will look smaller (my-space angle, anyone??)... a tipped up lens, will make them appear much larger.

True story. Wouldn't that suck?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It was really common for starlets to be photographed with low-angle photography to appear larger than they actually were. If you tip your camera down, your subject will look smaller (my-space angle, anyone??)... a tipped up lens, will make them appear much larger.

Plus she's in white. And the camera really does add weight.

I met Jessica Simpson back in her Newlywed days and I swear she appeared a good 20 pounds smaller in person than on TV or in photos.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    skinny-curvy is what I prefer. They aren't mutually exclusive. Like this.

mel-bs-curvy-body-in-sexy-lingerie21.jpg

To me SKINNY alone is shapeless and box-like while curvy is well curvy. Now, SKINNY-CURVY is a lower-weight curvy person. That's my view.

THIS. Love
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options

Plus she's in white. And the camera really does add weight.

I met Jessica Simpson back in her Newlywed days and I swear she appeared a good 20 pounds smaller in person than on TV or in photos.

That's true. I got to see one of my celeb crushes in person several years ago and was seriously surprised at how tiny he is in person? Shocking. :)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Muscled like my other half...

sprogress.jpg

Wow. Incredible. What dedication she must have.

13 days into her diet - she listened incredibly well as I helped her bulk to add muscle and now dieting how I instruct to the exact word. He results are definitely due to pure dedication and unwavering effort.

She's amazing and beautiful. For myself that's perfect and an inspiration.

Now, stepping out of this thread bc this crap makes me bang my head into a wall.
  • SummerNights32
    SummerNights32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The only people I've ever encountered that refer to themselves as "curvy" are people who aren't comfortable with facing the reality that they're overweight.

Ouch, that is harsh and I very much disagree. I am curvy and I love it. I like having a small waist, flat stomach, and a big butt and thighs. Sure, I would love to lose about 30 pounds, but not if it means losing my curves. The older I get, the more I appreciate them :). Even when I was heavier, I was curvy...just more jiggly. BUT..I did acknowledge (and still do) that I had weight to lose.
  • Jerrawuff
    Options
    I think every woman wants a little curve... and to whoever said only women that arent comfortable with being overweight see themselves as curvy that is not true. I am over weight but regardless of how much weight I lose I will always have very wide hips and probably pretty large tatas. I thin women are all beautiful and its not about curvy or skinny or what size your pants are, its about how you feel about yourself. I personally never want to be quite at a "healthy weight" I just want to feel healthy. And before anyone eats my soul for that I dont mean healthy weight is a bad idea, just myself personally would like to be about 10-15 pounds over my healthy weight... But curves and thin are all in the eye of the person with that body. Just be happy :D
  • chocowalnut
    chocowalnut Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Depends if when you say "curvy" you mean overweight. The body I want has nice curves in the right places and is also skinny at the same time.