Master Cleanse! aka Lemonade Diet .. My 30 day story.

Options

Replies

• Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Thnx for being brave and sharing. :drinker:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're sharing to help others, I'm not sure I'd be so brave.

You're bound to get a load of pro diet fad posts saying you did something wrong, but from your courses and nutritionist, you know the facts.

Good luck in the future!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I will say that it is not unusual to get ill while doing the MC because your body is trying to eradicate the same bacteria, toxins, and parasites that cause illnesses.

So what you are saying is that famines are healthy for people in the third world? So we should stop donating and let their bodies heal, 'cleanse' and 'detox'? Or should we donate laxatives instead of food and clothing? After all they have more issues with pathogenic bacteria and parasites in their environment than us spoiled westerners do.
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    That had to take a lot of courage to post. I commend you. Thank you for sharing.
  • fionatdlam
    fionatdlam Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. At first.. I was just researching "Losing Weight"
    After the cleanse.. I switched to researching how to even function correctly..
    I bought prune juice, broccoli, probiotics, yogurt.. etc..I tried every little thing.. JUST TO GET BACK TO SQUARE 1.
    I Would sit in the restroom forever.. just to try to make my stomach flatten .. not because I had to go restroom.
    Most of my food wouldn't even turn into "stool" (poop) to begin with...
    I would use so much pressure to the point where I was bleeding mucus from the walls of my intestines.
    ( We have mucus to help our stool slide down easier in our intestines)..
    TRUST ME.. it hurt the insides of my stomach area a lot because of all the pressure I strained on it.
    .. eventually after all the pain I kept going back to the tea because I couldn't take it anymore.

Socially.. it was embarrassing.. people would be like " You still doing that lemonade diet?" and snicker..
    Which makes you want to prove them wrong.. and continue even if your body is telling you to stop...

Of course if I did research on easing off .. I mean I did it for 30 days... it was a big deal to me.. I even saw a couple doctors who taught me how to ease out as well.. I even got a blood test afterwards to see if I had thyroid problems.. good thing I didn't, so I have no excuse not to diet normally.

My great grandma lived to be 96 years old.. she didn't do any cleanse. Cleansing is not necessary for a life of longevity at all, so forget all the hype.

ALSO... it takes a long time to start:
    - building up your metabolism again
    - training your body to break down food
    - stop binge eating (it's not as easy as it sounds, survival instincts kick in)
    - having everyone remind you about the cleanse you did
    - build muscle back up again
    - get rid of the water weight that comes back
    - be able to start working out normally again

AND AFTER YOU ACCOMPLISHED ALL OF THE ABOVE .. you can start at square one again and start a normal healthy lifestyle.

you'll feel bloated, sluggish, crummy, and regretful for about 2-3 weeks...
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Beauty and brains you have both, thanks for posting.
  • bullfr0g
    bullfr0g Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...

This is interesting to me. Recently I have begun, not a "cleanse", but an all liquid diet of my own design. I am drinking 1600 calories a day, with a lot of protein powder, carbs, and flax oil mixed in with apples, kale, broccoli, spinach, etc.

I have found it to be very successful so far. In the first week I've dropped 8-10 pounds. And while I really desire some delicious food, I find that it is easy not to cheat simply because there is no actual "eating". Those senses are simply disengaged.

I think in order to avoid going crazy i'll start incorporating a restrained cheat day where i'll eat high-carb high-protein low-fat foods to keep up leptin production.
  • fionatdlam
    fionatdlam Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...

This is interesting to me. Recently I have begun, not a "cleanse", but an all liquid diet of my own design. I am drinking 1600 calories a day, with a lot of protein powder, carbs, and flax oil mixed in with apples, kale, broccoli, spinach, etc.

I have found it to be very successful so far. In the first week I've dropped 8-10 pounds. And while I really desire some delicious food, I find that it is easy not to cheat simply because there is no actual "eating". Those senses are simply disengaged.

I think in order to avoid going crazy i'll start incorporating a restrained cheat day where i'll eat high-carb high-protein low-fat foods to keep up leptin production.

I think that's fine.. the reason why people do the master cleanse is that they rather " not do" than "do"..
    It's easier to not eat all together.. than to go to the gym.. find healthy food.. cook.. track what you eat.. etc.
    versus the cleanse was super simple.. but it only consisted of maple syrup.. lemons.. cayenne pepper...
    I honestly.. don't know how I didn't even die in my sleep to be honest.
    Juicing is fine because it gives you less opportunities to get more portions or over eat etc. as long as you have all the nutrients you need that's okay so that your body doesn't go into starvation/survival mode (:
  • Doing_me
    Doing_me Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thank you so much for this very honest post! I was thinking of starting the master cleanse and have now decided not to do it because of you and your experience. :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I missed this the first time round - thank you for posting.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Op thank you for posting this. sorry you had to learn the hard way but hopefully this post will save someone else looking for the quick fix going through the same thing.

Agreed this should be a sticky
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this!
  • NachoEverydayChick
    NachoEverydayChick Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great post!
    10/10
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. So many people need to see this. I am sorry you went through that, but I am glad ur back to normal now!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Bump because awesome.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I will say that it is not unusual to get ill while doing the MC because your body is trying to eradicate the same bacteria, toxins, and parasites that cause illnesses.

And somehow your liver and kidneys don't do this when you are eating normally?

Go to the back of the class - please re-take remedial biology.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Thank you for going to the effort of writing your experience up in such great detail. I think your explanation of wanting to be the exception to the rule is very helpful too.

:flowerforyou:
  • disco_dance
    disco_dance Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing,

Often think about cleanses and actually they are total rubbish, you make yourself ill and put more weight back on that when you started. My friend did one with just apples/apple smoothies and water and almost passed out an an exercise class- she couldn't bend over cause she would have toppled forward!! NOT good!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Excellent post :drinker:

Most people who start these things just fall off the radar, I suspect because their pride is wounded when it doesn't work. Good for you for coming here and posting this. You're braver than I would be.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic post. I think it needs to be stickied or flagged in some way. I'm sorry you had to go though that OP.