if health is #1, what is your #2 reason to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Looking good, shopping for cute clothes (bebe, is that you?) and inspiring my hubby to hopefully get healthy too :)
  • JulieBGoood
    JulieBGoood Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am hoping that reaching my goal weight will help resolve my fertility issues. I would also like to feel good and have more energy :) Having confidence in the way I look is a big plus too!
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    To be clear, what I am saying is, if you have NO HEALTH ISSUES, I totally understand vanity issues being #1. But to actually say that vanity is more important than health, well, I don't get that at all. I also notice that by looking at the pictures, most who say vanity are younger. Wait til you hit middle age, LOL.... I bet your opinions change.

Im nearly 45 years old and VANITY is my #1 reason... you cant MAKE folks feel the same way as you do.... I disagree with health being my number one reason... we are all going to DIE>.but Im going to look damn good in my casket... and until then, Im going to look damn good in a bikini

I find no sadness in that at all

Nicely put!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    To anyone who frowns on people for being shallow because they want to look good: you must not know how exilerating it is to love how you look. People also treat you better and think more highly of you, you get paid and promoted more, and you have a broader range of relationship prospects. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look good. Everyone wants it, and regardless of what anyone says, it does improve the quality of your life tremendously.

I don't think it's shallow to want to look good, nor is it wrong to want to do so, and I'm fully in support of everyone who wants to look better!

However, not everyone wants that -- I think it's one of the things that kept me from losing weight. When I was thin, I got too much of the wrong sort of attention (if you know what I mean). I found that frightening at times (partly because I'm somewhat introverted, and partly some lingering childhood trauma crap). Now I think I'm old enough that the creepy people will leave me alone, and even if they don't, I'm a much scarier person myself when I want to be. BWA HA HA!

Lol. Take up boxing! You'll get super fit, and you'll be able to take care of any creepy people that give you the wrong sort of attention.

Great idea! It'll be awhile though -- have to get through my spine fusion and recovery first. :) But that's on the list of things I'd like to do!
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    not gonna lie...I want to be considered a milf...i dont want to be the chubby girl with the pretty face.
    I also want to get back in prome shape so I can run another half marathon and kill my time!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to do some unassisted pull-ups, and it will be easier if I weigh less.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Too look good naked.
  • SNWilliams13
    Options
    1. Health
    2. Having a baby
    3. Confidence
    4. Appearance
  • QuietRain
    QuietRain Posts: 157
    Options
    Knitting really, really cute sweaters that won't cost a fortune and will actually look good on my.. future shape.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Lets be honest. Everyone always says health is number one but really everyone is losing weight so they look good nekkid... and health is number 2.
  • vanessa194
    vanessa194 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I want to have kids one day ... PCOS is not fun
  • michelleun
    michelleun Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To feel good in my skin:smile:
  • poppytj
    poppytj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's a pretty vain reason but I only get irritated about my size when I'm clothes shopping, so yeah it would be so I have less of a nightmare buying clothes, but again that's more about proportions than weight, but getting fit might help it.
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    To feel sexy in my body.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Being able to run far and fast again.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I think that health and "vanity" are tied with me. I DO want to be healthy, (and be healthy as i get older) but I want to look good too!! :bigsmile:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    1) Health
    2) To be closer to my wife when we make love, or just get freaky. LOL
    3) Fit in my leather riding suit and not look like a about to rupture bratwurst.
    4) To not have my scale cry "Oh no, not again!" every time I step on it.
    5) To make my wifes friends jealous of my wifes good lucking sexy husband
    6) Because my wife deserves a fit and healthy husband, instead of worrying he's about to keel over with a massive coronary.

These....were incredibly funny!
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    To anyone who frowns on people for being shallow because they want to look good: you must not know how exilerating it is to love how you look. People also treat you better, you get paid and promoted more, and you have a broader range of relationship prospects. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look good. Everyone wants it, and regardless of what anyone says, it does improve the quality of your life tremendously.

Every single bit of that is probably true... and yet, how can one possibly put that above good health? I can't fathom it.

Then again, I have a VERY rich friend who swears he would rather be dead than poor.

The subtle point here is that weighing less, wearing smaller sizes, liking the muscle definition you see in the mirror - and doing the things you need to do to get you there is the result of getting healthier! It's really the same outcome. In the end, we all want to live longer, higher quality lives. How we define quality is subjective.

Along with all the other good reasons most of us have for doing this - I have one emotional reason:

I have never felt this proud before. No other successes have made me feel like this (and I have been blessed with many in my life). This is all me. No one did it for me. I learned, I paid attention, I got it done and will continue to get it done. For me. If others benefit, then great! But they had nothing to do with it.
  • Skratchie
    Skratchie Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Health is my #1, and I've never really had any health issues ... #2 is a toss up between being able to buy clothing in the Misses department instead of the Plus size department, and being able to be comfortable in business class's tiny little cubicle when I fly for business. My shoulders really don't fit well in it when I'm trying to sleep. My #3 is to look better, nekkid or clothed!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    My main reasons are to look and feel better! Eating well and being active makes me feel more energized and losing weight makes me feel better about my body.