Do you view someone's success differently if......

Options

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    not on my current weight loss march, but in grad. school i lost 20 lbs. in 3 weeks doing the Atkins inductions...who am I to judge anything. (I also played full court basketball 2-3 hours a night, but atkins is still what I ate).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Why do you care about other people's business?

If everyone used this as their guiding principle, then there would be very little activity in the forums. Like it or not, discussing topics that affect other people is kind of what goes on here.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Just because someone had surgery to help speed up the initial process, doesn't mean they don't deserve the same level of respect and praise as someone who lost a similar amount of weight without surgery.

Except sadly, most people don't work hard and gain back weight after the surgery. Statistically, 34.9% of people who have the surgery gain back the weight they lose. I too have a very inspirational friend here who started losing with the surgery and she is a RARE case of hard work and success.

I worked for a insurance prior authorization company and while Gastric was an automatic clinical review for necessity, it was almost always approved. Every person I know in my life who has had it never put in ANY effort to lose weight on their own and used it as an easy out. All of those 2 week gym membership people who gave up and didn't alter their diet. After all, if those people really , REALLY tried to lose naturally, they wouldn't have had to get the procedure in the end...
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I admire anyone who has taken control of an element of their life this way. It is NOT an easy way out and no way on earth would I do that to myself. With a normal stomach I can just eat a little less of everything I like and lose weight; post surgery stomachs just don't work that way, especially not to begin with.

To me, surgery does not show a lack of will power, rather it shows a burst of will power, a decision to alter your body and then suffer not being able to eat normally for months or years on end! I could not do that to myself. All the hard work does not take place on the operating table, not by a long chalk.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I view it differently because they are two different experiences. I don't nessacarily view one more negative than the other but I do see it differently and have a different opinion of everyones weight loss - either way, as long as its healthy, I am always impressed, inspired and wishing it was me aha. But every weight loss story is different. Some people lose just by changing their diet (and evne then there are hundreds of different diets) and some do it by lifting weights, running or just exercise in general and then of course there are medical procedues. Everyones journey and experience is different I suppose.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

I'm not here for you.

I'm here for me.

This. :flowerforyou:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Slightly. They obviously had to be pretty desperate, miserable and unhealthy to have a major surgery. What they accomplish is pretty awesome. But yeah, people who do the same without surgery are slightly more awesome.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I also view someone's success differently if they lost 200 pounds to get to their GW vs losing 20 pounds to get to their GW...(I see losing 200 pounds more impressive than losing 20 pounds)...but really, big picture, should it really be seen differently? In fact, would it not be appropriate to commend the person who never let their weight get more out of control?
  • fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    Those people who had surgery are working harder and more diligently than I am, I give them so much credit

My doctor suggested WLS, never offered help with diet etc. I joined a medically supervised weightloss program and never looked back. Technically I'm using tools too but it's not life and death like people that had surgery.

I give them credit for making the lifetime change, never judge them.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    yes 100%.

I dont think of them as lesser than those who did it the hard way - but I do think that they missed out on what those who did it through hard work- gained.

getting fit the old fashioned way makes you mentally stronger, emotionally better able to cope with obstacles, you learn yourself better because you face fears head on and are constantly proving to yourself (without anyone on the outside being in your head with you) that you can tackle anything if you try hard enough - that you can evolve your body on your own, your life, your path, the direction you want to move forward in., making these things actually happen for yourself through hard work, to me, brings with it a strong sense of self that you just cant get without the patience and sweat of spending years cultivating a relationship with yourself.

my brain cant wrap itself around how you can gain all those same things while you're unconscious in surgery.

As someone who had the gastric sleeve, I must respond to this by reminding everyone there is a difference between losing weight, however you do it and getting in shape as this writer discusses. Getting in shape requires exercise. We all know this. Weight loss may result from getting in shape, but weight loss alone isn't getting in shape.

My surgery made it possible to me to lose enough weight that I can now safely exercise. So now, I can start getting in shape. And no, despite what you all may think, I was not able to lose weight any other way. For some people, that's just the reality.

Also, the surgery will help you lose a certain amount of your excess weight, but at a certain point, and the point is different for each person, the surgery no longer causes weight loss. The surgical patient has to add exercise to keep the weight coming off, we have to count calories too. And for some of us, we have to make sure to get enough protein as well. Keeping the weight off works the same for us as people who don't have the surgery. We must watch our diet and continue to exercise or the weight will come right back.

Unless a person is losing weight through an eating disorder, the other ways are all good. Each person is different and what works for me might not work for you. So don't judge each other here!

PS - one point made that is very valid, for those of us who have had surgery, we need to preface all advice with that information. Because what works for us may not work well for someone who hasn't had the surgery. We need to be careful to put that disclaimer in there for people reading what we are suggesting.
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I used to judge WLS as being lazy or taking the easy way out when I was in my 20's and 30's. Those were the days when I could shed 50-60 lbs myself. Unfortunately those successes came back as 70-80 lbs.
    So in my early 40's, with much wisdom and may life expereinces, I decided to stop judging and do it for myself!!
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    No, it's the hard way and I admire all those brave persons. I almost got a sleeve done at 324 lbs but I backed off when I lost 5% of my body weight by my own.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It does make me feel different but only in the way that I feel sorry that they had to make such a drastic move. I have many friends that have had surgery. Many of them have had success and some not. The bad part is many of them can never enjoy certain foods ever again because of the surgery. One of my friends cannot eat dairy at all.......the thought of never being able to enjoy the foods that I love is a complete deal breaker for me. So I decided to change myself and my habits so I can still enjoy the things I love in moderation for the rest of my life. My plan is working perfectly and I can say that I CAN eat this way forever now that I understand my body and what it needs---not wants.:smile:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yes 100%.

I dont think of them as lesser than those who did it the hard way - but I do think that they missed out on what those who did it through hard work- gained.

getting fit the old fashioned way makes you mentally stronger, emotionally better able to cope with obstacles, you learn yourself better because you face fears head on and are constantly proving to yourself (without anyone on the outside being in your head with you) that you can tackle anything if you try hard enough - that you can evolve your body on your own, your life, your path, the direction you want to move forward in., making these things actually happen for yourself through hard work, to me, brings with it a strong sense of self that you just cant get without the patience and sweat of spending years cultivating a relationship with yourself.

my brain cant wrap itself around how you can gain all those same things while you're unconscious in surgery.

As someone who had the gastric sleeve, I must respond to this by reminding everyone there is a difference between losing weight, however you do it and getting in shape as this writer discusses. Getting in shape requires exercise. We all know this. Weight loss may result from getting in shape, but weight loss alone isn't getting in shape.

well said, point taken and agreed.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    but also, like I said before, I dont judge their success differently, I just worry that they dont get all the same benefits.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would, not that the person should care what I think.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    No matter what anyone says, we all perceive EVERYTHING in life differently than another.
  • Chelsrf
    Chelsrf Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    yes 100%.

That's the thing, gastric patients whether its, RNY, Sleeve or lap band have to work just as hard as everyone that hasn't had it done. It's not like you just have the surgery, keep eating the way you did, sit around on the couch and lose the weight. You have to work just as hard and work out just as hard. The psychological challenges that come with it, I think sometimes are harder because you're body does change so quickly that you're mind a lot of the time hasn't caught up. The initial quick loss comes in the first few months, and to keep it coming off you have to work just as hard as everyone else. The quick loss comes from the severe calorie deficit you're eating at.

If you don't follow the plan, workout, etc....yes you will gain it back just like anyone else. It's not a miracle cure.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Why do you care about other people's business?

If everyone used this as their guiding principle, then there would be very little activity in the forums. Like it or not, discussing topics that affect other people is kind of what goes on here.

Can this please become a sticky. It's like people forget what "forum" means.
  • faireplay
    faireplay Posts: 126
    Options
    I always read that it takes the same will power to lose weight with gastric as it does without...bull. I have a friend who lost over 130 pounds and ate mac n cheese, mashed potatoes and gravy, and frequently ate fatty fast foods. She had to eat them in small amounts because other wise she would puke it back up,not because she was choosing to eat it in moderation.Now that the weight is off and she has become accustomed to eating bigger meals the weight is coming back because she never changed her eating habits or learned proper nutrition.
    So no, it is not always the same process losing with gastric. . Now, keeping it off is a different story....you don't keep it off without having learned a few things.