Advocare 24 day Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stormykitty
    Stormykitty Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Did the 24 day challenge, followed everything exactly but some how had one fiber pack left. Did loose an inch, didn't loose a lb, in fact put 2 lbs on. Was taking upwards of 21 pills a day, between the "max packs" catalyst, and fish oil ones, this doesn't include my cholesterol meds, and daily vitamin.

Spark was good I would recommend it if your a energy drink person its a great switch healthier.

Shakes were delicious with one problem 23% of my cholesterol for the day is in there. For someone on cholesterol meds this is completely counter productive.

Here is the part the really upsets me, I work out 7 days a week, 3 personal training workouts a week for lifting, those 3 days I'm at the gym 2x to get my cardio in. I do not eat poorly never have. I have several friends swear by the Advocare stuff, the only think I can think of is these people must eat like CRAP to loose all this weight in 24 days. You can't eat and drink all that stuff they want you to. Plus who can drink fiber mix plus prework out plus a little fruit between 5a-515a prior to going to the gym.

Conclusion: It works if you'v never worked out, eat like crap and your using it to kick start a work out program. My friends who love the stuff tell me that I fall in the very small group that it doesn't work for. I work out harder than 90% of the people at the gym, and I can't loose weight, so I don't blame advocare... but I won't support the claims either.
    With all that training you put in I wouldn't expect you to take off wieght. You probably replaced any fat you had with lean muscle. I am curious did you do a body analysis prior to the start of Advocare? ( This measures the components of your body mass ie:bone, muscle, fat and water) Doing this may have given you a more realistic picture of before and after.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I have noticed if people ate clean before the challenge, they didn't tend to get the results they were looking for weight loss wise, but did lose inches.The biggest success stories I have seen with it have definitely been with the people who needed it the most. The 10 day cleanse is pretty awesome. I have done it 4 times myself. However, it is nothing regular diet and exercise can't do. But it is an alternative for people who need a program or push to get motivated. (Or extra energy)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Did the 24 day challenge, followed everything exactly but some how had one fiber pack left. Did loose an inch, didn't loose a lb, in fact put 2 lbs on. Was taking upwards of 21 pills a day, between the "max packs" catalyst, and fish oil ones, this doesn't include my cholesterol meds, and daily vitamin.

Spark was good I would recommend it if your a energy drink person its a great switch healthier.

Shakes were delicious with one problem 23% of my cholesterol for the day is in there. For someone on cholesterol meds this is completely counter productive.

Here is the part the really upsets me, I work out 7 days a week, 3 personal training workouts a week for lifting, those 3 days I'm at the gym 2x to get my cardio in. I do not eat poorly never have. I have several friends swear by the Advocare stuff, the only think I can think of is these people must eat like CRAP to loose all this weight in 24 days. You can't eat and drink all that stuff they want you to. Plus who can drink fiber mix plus prework out plus a little fruit between 5a-515a prior to going to the gym.

Conclusion: It works if you'v never worked out, eat like crap and your using it to kick start a work out program. My friends who love the stuff tell me that I fall in the very small group that it doesn't work for. I work out harder than 90% of the people at the gym, and I can't loose weight, so I don't blame advocare... but I won't support the claims either.
    With all that training you put in I wouldn't expect you to take off wieght. You probably replaced any fat you had with lean muscle. I am curious did you do a body analysis prior to the start of Advocare? ( This measures the components of your body mass ie:bone, muscle, fat and water) Doing this may have given you a more realistic picture of before and after.
    sorry, that isn't how it works.
  • catherinecrh
    catherinecrh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all... I too, am a skeptic, but now being on my 4th day of the Advocare Cleanse/Challenge, I am down just over 3 pounds in that time. They may be making a believer of me! While the eating plan is completely doable, I did experience a headache all day yesterday. Today I am feeling great! I am using this program to re-jump start my weight loss and healthy eating and exercise. I have been battling weight my entire life, and know that it will be on-going. If you are not serious about sustained weight loss...don't bother going on Advocare or anything else! Why waste your precious money? Sometimes we all need a "shake up"...something to propel us to the next goal...I believe that I've found it. And yes, I am a "newbie" poster. I do not have alot of time to blog. I ran in to this thread when trying to info-gather about Advocare and others' real life experiences. Success will come, even without Advocare...if I remain persistent, watch what I put in my pie-hole, and exercise... You have to do the work!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Hi all... I too, am a skeptic, but now being on my 4th day of the Advocare Cleanse/Challenge, I am down just over 3 pounds in that time. They may be making a believer of me! While the eating plan is completely doable, I did experience a headache all day yesterday. Today I am feeling great! I am using this program to re-jump start my weight loss and healthy eating and exercise. I have been battling weight my entire life, and know that it will be on-going. If you are not serious about sustained weight loss...don't bother going on Advocare or anything else! Why waste your precious money? Sometimes we all need a "shake up"...something to propel us to the next goal...I believe that I've found it. And yes, I am a "newbie" poster. I do not have alot of time to blog. I ran in to this thread when trying to info-gather about Advocare and others' real life experiences. Success will come, even without Advocare...if I remain persistent, watch what I put in my pie-hole, and exercise... You have to do the work!

Good for you for giving it a chance and realize that it won't be a miracle working and that you still have to do the work. :smile: I think so many people look down on Advocare and supplements and everything and I completely understand that you do not need them to lose weight but I also think it depends on your specific and personal goals. If you're a serious athlete or weight lifter (even if you aren't a body builder) you will likely need one supplement or another to aid you to that goal. Advocare products aren't much more expensive than GNC but with Advocare you also get one on one feedback and follow ups that you don't get from retail companies. It's worth the couple extra bucks in my eyes.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Good for you for giving it a chance and realize that it won't be a miracle working and that you still have to do the work. :smile: I think so many people look down on Advocare and supplements and everything and I completely understand that you do not need them to lose weight but I also think it depends on your specific and personal goals. If you're a serious athlete or weight lifter (even if you aren't a body builder) you will likely need one supplement or another to aid you to that goal. Advocare products aren't much more expensive than GNC but with Advocare you also get one on one feedback and follow ups that you don't get from retail companies. It's worth the couple extra bucks in my eyes.

I'm sorry, I wasn't going to come back, but your last line made me do it. Are you talking abou feedback and follow ups from the people that are selling it to you? I am in twice as good of shape as anyone that has tried selling it to me. I'm not sure what kind of benefit that provides, since Advocare providers aren't formally trained in anything pertaining to nutrition or exercise.
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options

I'm sorry, I wasn't going to come back, but your last line made me do it. Are you talking abou feedback and follow ups from the people that are selling it to you? I am in twice as good of shape as anyone that has tried selling it to me. I'm not sure what kind of benefit that provides, since Advocare providers aren't formally trained in anything pertaining to nutrition or exercise.

I mean that they are there to check in, see how you're doing, offer motivation and support. And perhaps those trying to sell it to you are currently working on their goals and therefore wouldn't be in as good of shape as you already are.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

Even GNC products are too expensive and completely unnecessary. My biggest issue is, the amount you invest in advocare is more than double my normal grocery bill and my food usually includes steak. I am have seen people spend $200-$400 just t get started. That's a lot of money.

I will say one thing, from my personal experience, the majority of "coaches" know very little about nutrition. What they know is how to use the plan. This is an issue when I start asking the "why" questions.
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options

Even GNC products are too expensive and completely unnecessary. My biggest issue is, the amount you invest in advocare is more than double my normal grocery bill and my food usually includes steak. I am have seen people spend $200-$400 just t get started. That's a lot of money.

I will say one thing, from my personal experience, the majority of "coaches" know very little about nutrition. What they know is how to use the plan. This is an issue when I start asking the "why" questions.

I eventually want to get either NASM certified or Nutrition certified or maybe both...that'll definitely depend on funds, though, 'cause that **** ain't cheap, either.
  • acarr4u
    acarr4u Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • disney_mama_13
    Options
    Anyone here do the Advocare 24 Day Challenge? If so, what are your thoughts?
    Alos, what are your thoughts on Advocare products in general?

I did the Advocare 24 day challenge last year with pretty much no results - and big goals of weight/inches to lose. I took the packets afterward into my local nutrition/supplement store (which is privately owned so they are pushing NO products to make overhead.) And two different people told me that, yes, the advocare products have all the right things they need to have (ingredients or whatever you want to call them) but that the amounts were so low they were there to SAY that they were there but not at high enough levels to produce the results they claim.

As with anything, however, results do vary with everyone. In my opinion, I would seek out other means. :) Best of luck to you!!! :)
  • highland_sky
    highland_sky Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started the 24 Day Challenge on Monday, but don't own a scale any more (EVIL INTRUMENTS OF TOURTURE) -but I will keep you posted. A few things that may help -

- I tend to be a little ocd - so I ziplocked each of the items that has to be taken on a different day into zip lock baggies and numbered them.
    - I started the 'optional' Catalyst on Day 3 - that seems to help me more than the spark drink does; but I like the spark drink.
    - My no diet dew headache about killed me on day 1; but I know I need to stay away from it - so worth the pain. (Repeat after me, " No I don't want a soda."

The rep I talked to said you can eat as many calories as you need - but i'm sticking in between 1600 - 1800 calories and burning between 1000 and 1500 in my workouts. I'll try to post back at the end of the challenge to give an update. To my anything that gets you on the right track when you need additional motivation is not a bad thing. I know alot of people say - just eat right, while true is much harder for some.

:)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I started the 24 Day Challenge on Monday, but don't own a scale any more (EVIL INTRUMENTS OF TOURTURE) -but I will keep you posted. A few things that may help -

- I tend to be a little ocd - so I ziplocked each of the items that has to be taken on a different day into zip lock baggies and numbered them.
    - I started the 'optional' Catalyst on Day 3 - that seems to help me more than the spark drink does; but I like the spark drink.
    - My no diet dew headache about killed me on day 1; but I know I need to stay away from it - so worth the pain. (Repeat after me, " No I don't want a soda."

The rep I talked to said you can eat as many calories as you need - but i'm sticking in between 1600 - 1800 calories and burning between 1000 and 1500 in my workouts. I'll try to post back at the end of the challenge to give an update. To my anything that gets you on the right track when you need additional motivation is not a bad thing. I know alot of people say - just eat right, while true is much harder for some.

:)

What exercise are you doing and for how long are you doing to burn that many calories? That would several hours of high intensity training to burn that amount of calories, not even include the fact you would net almost no calories for your body to work off of, which would cause your body to catabolize muscle mass and have several metabolic adaptation.
  • kershaann
    kershaann Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    I did the 24 day challenge and lost 13lbs on it. Shakes were good. I got the mocha one. It wasn't that bad. I also ate healthy before I did it so it really didn't have much effect on me. I am not one to use advocare. I did it cause I got it way cheaper than what usually goes for. If you can stick with it it might help you but another girl and I did it together and she didn't finish.
  • brnidgrl4u
    brnidgrl4u Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am getting ready to do a 24 day Challenge starting June 1st. Does anyone have any recipe suggestions or tricks that helped them to stay on track?
    I eat pretty healthy although i do have Crohn's Disease and I am not able to eat raw fruits with skins and vegetables any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • cassikaye26
    Options
    I'm on Day 16 of the 24 Day Challenge. I absolutely love it. I'm down 12 pounds so far. Anyone that tells you not to do it clearly did not do it correctly. I'm not just happy with the pounds and inches I've lost... My energy level is AMAZING! I just am feeling so much better. The most important lesson I've learned with AdvoCare is "you are what you eat." Knowing how bad foods make me feel (lazy, sluggish, tired, etc.) and knowing the energy level I have by eating so much cleaner makes me not want to go back to the unhealthy lifestyle I was living. Give it a try... You'll notice such a great difference.
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options
    Hello, I am getting ready to do a 24 day Challenge starting June 1st. Does anyone have any recipe suggestions or tricks that helped them to stay on track?
    I eat pretty healthy although i do have Crohn's Disease and I am not able to eat raw fruits with skins and vegetables any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I blogged about my first challenge back in January so you can check out what I ate and what recipes I used at http://myparadise8-11-12.blogspot.com/

Also, Advocare has a thumblr with great recipes! http://webuildchampions.tumblr.com/tagged/recipe

I have another 24 Day Challenge recipe book in pdf that I can send you if you PM me your email address.
  • clemigirl
    clemigirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We began Day 11 of the 24 day challenge yesterday. At 1:45 am, my husband was taken to ER by ambulance. Doctor's diagnosis: adverse drug reaction--niacin overload. He had extreme palpitations, dizziness, nausea, flushing/rash. Seems Advocare products contain something like 3 times the niacin required. Dr. advised us that niacin can back up and becoming toxic, resulting in not only the symptoms my husband experienced, but in organ damage as well. I was on the same regimen as my husband, but suffered no side effects. However, I did a search while I was sitting in the hospital, and there were a number of documented cases of the same sort of reaction to the huge amounts of niacin by other Advocare clients. The folks at Advocare use social networking to connect their sellers and clients. I posted our story to the site, because I thought the sellers/coaches would want to be aware of the potential for this kind of reaction, but boy, was I wrong! Within half an hour, the post had been removed by the team leader. This raises an ethical red flag for me--suggesting that the folks at Advocare knew about this, but don't want anybody else to know! That response from the Advocare team leader inspired me to post this message. This is something that you need to be aware of before you decide to commit to the program, so that you can make a balanced and informed decision. The ten day cleanse gave us a good start. There are many success stories with Advocare. But it is a multi-level marketing program, and financial profit is the ultimate goal. If meeting that goal requires less than full disclosure about the possible side effects of their products, then there;s a bit of a moral dilemma. My advice is to be proactive about doing your research before you buy the product. There are plenty of customer reviews available on the Internet.
  • Tonya_Michelle1984
    Tonya_Michelle1984 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am VERY excited to start my 24 day challenge tomorrow!! :flowerforyou: :heart: :happy: :heart:
  • jessmnorman1
    Options
    So I'm beyond irritated. A little background, I went on the Paleo lifestyle last year and lost 30 pounds before plateauing in July. I kinda fell off the bandwagon a little bit too and started eating candy and breads/grains. So I actually gained 3 pounds back. Someone introduced me to Advocare after my vacation in April and I was a skeptic. Especially since I usually eat pretty clean anyway. But, after seeing so many people on my Facebook feed have success, I thought what the heck, maybe it will work. Well let me tell you, I only have 7 more days and I've lost only 4 pounds. My body can't handle as much food as the portion sizes recommend and my body definitely can't handle so many carbs. Perhaps, it should tell you recommended portion sizes but eat only until you feel full. No need to stuff yourself.

I've learned a lot from doing this challenge. Like how to balance out what you eat (ie...if you want cheese, then also eat an apple). And I've also learned how to keep myself full so that I don't crave chips, candy, soda, cake, ice cream, etc. I know that for the remaining 7 days, I'm not going to eat nearly as much so maybe I'll feel better and actually have that energy that everyone talks about having once I'm not drowning myself in food.

I signed on to be a distributor through Advocare and this is one coaching tool that I will tell people (once I have someone on the challenge with me). I really do believe that Advocare can work. You just have to listen to your body talking to you.

PS - I do love me some Spark!