Negative calorie foods

Options
I'm curious...do you log zero calorie foods in your diary? Are we supposed to?

Replies

• jibber_jammer
    Options
    I log everything I eat. EVERYTHING. Even if I taste my MIL soup or something, I log it. Keeps me honest.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Do you have to eat back calories lost from negative calorie foods?
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat. EVERYTHING. Even if I taste my MIL soup or something, I log it. Keeps me honest.

I log everything too... but someone mentioned it wasn't worth to log zero negative...so i'm curious
  • evdenapoli
    Options

Good question. LOL!
    Was that a rhetorical question? lol
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    When you look up your food on MFP, are they showing you negative calories? If so, I'd like a screenshot, please.
  • evdenapoli
    Options
    When you look up your food on MFP, are they showing you negative calories? If so, I'd like a screenshot, please.

No?:huh:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

I want to know this too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a negative calorie food. Food has calories, even if they are very few.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of such foods. What are they? Can they be found on this planet? I will eat them all day long, since all the food I log adds calories to my diary, not subtracts them!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    There are no negative calorie foods. Food has CALORIES. Log them or don't be surprised when your scale doesn't show any results.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Water would be the only zero calorie food I can think of other than diet sodas.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

This is what we call a myth.
    I know what you are talking about, and this theory has been disproven over and over again.

That's like saying ice cold water has negative calories. The water itself has 0 calories, but because it's ice cold, the body expends energy to warm it up to body temperature, thereby burning calories.

It sounds nice in theory, but it's different in practice.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    A gallon of water weighs appx 8 pounds. If you drink it all and dont pee you will weigh 8 pounds more. :)
  • evdenapoli
    Options
    I have never heard of such foods. What are they? Can they be found on this planet? I will eat them all day long, since all the food I log adds calories to my diary, not subtracts them!

i've looked into it..read quite a bit about it.
    seems to exist :smile:
  • evdenapoli
    Options
    :

This is what we call a myth.
    I know what you are talking about, and this theory has been disproven over and over again.

That's like saying ice cold water has negative calories. The water itself has 0 calories, but because it's ice cold, the body expends energy to warm it up to body temperature, thereby burning calories.

It sounds nice in theory, but it's different in practice.

Thanks! I appreciate your input!
  • Dee_31
    Dee_31 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Some lettuce would be one ( like a leaf of lettuce) :)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

i've looked into it..read quite a bit about it.
    seems to exist :smile:

People still say that about bigfoot too, even got it's own show...still not buying it.
  • PeriwinklePineapple
    Options
    I log everything, except for black coffee.
  • tymberh
    tymberh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Everything has calories!!

BUT,

Some foods are so few in calories, it takes more calories (or same amount of calories) to burn and digest the food than there are calories in the food.

Examples...

Fruits

apple
    cranberries
    grapefruit
    lemon
    mango
    orange
    pineapple
    raspberries
    strawberries
    tangerine

Vegetables

asparagus
    beet
    broccoli
    cabbage (green)
    carrot
    cauliflower
    celery
    Chile peppers (hot)
    cucumber
    dandelion
    endive
    garden cress
    garlic
    green beans
    lettuce
    onion
    papaya
    radishes
    spinach
    turnip
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    The part that makes it 'negative calorie' e.g. your body using energy to burn it, is already counted in your TDEE.

If you don't count the calories in the food, you're counting that energy twice.

Say there's 5 cals in a stick of celery. Log it as 5 cals. Your body might use 7 cals to process it, but that's already counted in your daily burn in TDEE. If you don't log the 5cals you're 5 cals off.

Not a huge difference in practical terms, but it's not worthless.