Negative calorie foods

Options

Replies

• felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    do you adjust everything you eat to incude the calories used up during digestion? Why would celery get special treatment?
  • NavyMommy
    NavyMommy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't log everything I eat. All fruits, veggies, grains, proteins, ect. are logged, but when it comes to things like spices or herbs I usually don't. Cooking at home makes it harder because I season as I go until something 'looks right'. Even so when I look at my diary I can tell you the seasonings I used in context. I don't think anyone ever got fat off of chili powder or nutmeg.
  • shiplizard
    shiplizard Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Your average great ape or chimp eats nearly nothing but 'negative calorie foods' on the daily-- heads of lettuce, carrots, apples, etc. Their digestive systems are a lot like ours, their teeth are a lot like ours, and somehow they manage to be pretty massive beasties.

Log your lettuce.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Why do you people hate science?
    because its the DEVIL'S WORK...:laugh:

Seriously though...I really wish 'negative calorie foods' myth was true...
    HELLTOWER-Science.jpg
  • kitkatkate77
    Options
    I don't log vegetables because my goal is to eat MORE vegetables. I don't ever want to have the thougt "If I skip my salad, I can have an extra cookie." So I eat all the vegies I can get down.
  • beanrider
    beanrider Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Why do you people hate science?

Because it disproves their hypothesis.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a way to eat more... exercise.

...and boom goes the dynamite.
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    Going back to the drinking cold water comparison...

A calorie is defined as the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1degC.
    1kcal (which is what you are referring to with your food calories, is the same but for for 1kg, or 1L, of water.

So in other words, if you drank water and transferred your body heat to it and then burned more to maintain your body temp you'd be talking about such a small number of kcals you wouldn't bother counting it...
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Your average great ape or chimp eats nearly nothing but 'negative calorie foods' on the daily-- heads of lettuce, carrots, apples, etc. Their digestive systems are a lot like ours, their teeth are a lot like ours, and somehow they manage to be pretty massive beasties.

Log your lettuce.

I <3 this :flowerforyou:
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Venison from a deer you chased down and killed with your bare hands.

If that were the case we would have long been extinct .
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Why do people join up to one way of losing weight and then spend all their time trying to change the goal posts? Just log the food and log your exercise and the site does the rest for you.

Negative calorie theory is for the faddy diets of women's magazines not for serious weight loss programs.

Eat it - Log it - Simple!
  • bwallace2012
    bwallace2012 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Water would be the only zero calorie food I can think of other than diet sodas.

NO DIET SODAS! bad stuff. look at the ingredients, and if you can't pronounce 'em, don't eat 'em.
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Mayo clinic website says research is inconclusive or incomplete. Snopes.com lists only celery and also points out that the act of digesting the celery, not the chewing is what may give you less than 1 negative calorie back per 8 inch stalk consumed. So, yes "negative calorie food" does exist, but that really isn't going to help your waistline much.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I don't log vegetables because my goal is to eat MORE vegetables. I don't ever want to have the thougt "If I skip my salad, I can have an extra cookie." So I eat all the vegies I can get down.

But, perhaps if you properly logged your veggies, you'd realize you had enough calories left to eat a cookie once in awhile without shame. Everything in moderation.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Why do people join up to one way of losing weight and then spend all their time trying to change the goal posts? Just log the food and log your exercise and the site does the rest for you.

Negative calorie theory is for the faddy diets of women's magazines not for serious weight loss programs.

Eat it - Log it - Simple!

QTF
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat. EVERYTHING. Even if I taste my MIL soup or something, I log it. Keeps me honest.

I log everything too... but someone mentioned it wasn't worth to log zero negative...so i'm curious

It's worth it, because that's how little stuff and being undisciplined can start. It's starts with that and then goes to "oh I won't log this one bite..." then it goes to "oh I won't log this one small piece", and soon you're screwing up your logging.

Trust me, been there, done that. You should log everything, even your cheat days when you don't care what you eat.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Now I remember why I don't come to these boards.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    Do you log WATER??? And where are these miracle "no calorie" foods other than water?? There ain't any!!!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Now I remember why I don't come to these boards.
    yet, here you are :laugh:
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I have never heard of such foods. What are they? Can they be found on this planet? I will eat them all day long, since all the food I log adds calories to my diary, not subtracts them!

i've looked into it..read quite a bit about it.
    seems to exist :smile:

Uhhhhhh, no....there ain't no zero calorie foods, no matter how to work the spin.