Replies

• TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Isn't celery a negative calorie food
  • Chrissy180
    Chrissy180 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I log everything, that way I don't have to worry about it. I also like to keep up with my Vitamin intake. For example, I'm not eating enough potassium and realized that's probably why I have been having leg cramps! So it can have it upsides to log everything.
  • getupngo2013
    getupngo2013 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think the point is to realize what, how much, and when you consume things. Then you can work on reproducing those better days, evaluate when you get the hungriest, etc. So, I think it's worth posting up there. :wink:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Why do you people hate science?
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of such foods. What are they? Can they be found on this planet? I will eat them all day long, since all the food I log adds calories to my diary, not subtracts them!

i've looked into it..read quite a bit about it.
    seems to exist :smile:

People still say that about bigfoot too, even got it's own show...still not buying it.

+1
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Everything has calories!!

BUT,

Some foods are so few in calories, it takes more calories (or same amount of calories) to burn and digest the food than there are calories in the food.

Examples...

Fruits

apple
    cranberries
    grapefruit
    lemon
    mango
    orange
    pineapple
    raspberries
    strawberries
    tangerine

Vegetables

asparagus
    beet
    broccoli
    cabbage (green)
    carrot
    cauliflower
    celery
    Chile peppers (hot)
    cucumber
    dandelion
    endive
    garden cress
    garlic
    green beans
    lettuce
    onion
    papaya
    radishes
    spinach
    turnip
    Nnno.

http://caloriecount.about.com/negative-calories-myth-explained-b349703

http://www.acefitness.org/blog/695/do-negative-calorie-foods-really-exist

Here's an excerpt from an actual science-based article which debunks the "negative calorie foods" scam:
    The thermic effect of food (TEF, also known as specific dynamic action or SDA or Dietary Induced Thermogenesis or DIT) refers to the slight bump in metabolic rate that occurs after eating, due to processing and utilization of the ingested nutrients. For example, protein has to be broken down and processed in the liver which requires energy. As well, the simple act of eating protein stimulates protein synthesis in various tissues (organs, liver, muscle) as well. All of which takes energy. Carbohydrates get broken down to glucose, which goes through the liver, some processing, etc. Fat undergoes the least processing. There are exceptions such as medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) which undergo quite a bit of processing in the liver, causing a slight bump in metabolic rate (via TEF) in the process.

As it turns out, different nutrients have different individual TEF’s. Protein turns out to have the highest, to the tune of 20-30%. Meaning that of the total protein calories you eat, 20-30% is lost in processing. Carbohydrate stored as glycogen requires about 5-6% of the total calories. Carbohydrate converted to fat (which generally doesn’t happen in very significant amounts) uses up ~23% of the total calories as TEF. Most fats have a tiny TEF, maybe 2-3% (because they can be stored as fat in fat cells with minimal processing).

As stated above, the TEF of carbohydrates is approximately 5-6%. A 4-inch stalk of celery contains somewhere around 3 calories. The TEF will total up to 0.18 calories at most, leaving a net intake of 2.82 calories. Negligible, but it's not "negative calories". A large apple contains around 110 calories. The TEF will total up to just under 7 calories (6.6), leaving a net intake of 103.4 calories. Definitely NOT negative calories.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, ground unicorn hoof is the only negative calorie food, but it's very hard to come by, very expensive, and very perishable. It goes rancid very quickly. Nevertheless, I always put some in my shakes. Now you know my secret.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    As far as I know, ground unicorn hoof is the only negative calorie food, but it's very hard to come by, very expensive, and very perishable. It goes rancid very quickly. Nevertheless, I always put some in my shakes. Now you know my secret.
    I gotta get me some of dat dere unicorn hoof, bruh! Think they'll have it on the shelf at GNC next to the raspberry ketones and green coffee bean extract???
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    If I only eat negative calorie foods, at what point will I weigh negative pounds???

Damn I'm gonna be sooo skinny!

*eye rolls*
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The part that makes it 'negative calorie' e.g. your body using energy to burn it, is already counted in your TDEE.

If you don't count the calories in the food, you're counting that energy twice.

Say there's 5 cals in a stick of celery. Log it as 5 cals. Your body might use 7 cals to process it, but that's already counted in your daily burn in TDEE. If you don't log the 5cals you're 5 cals off.

Not a huge difference in practical terms, but it's not worthless.

^ This is the better explanation
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Isn't celery a negative calorie food

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Celery was simply an example using a random food and random figures, not claiming it actually was negative calories.

I have no idea if there are foods you can eat that burn more than they contain, but even if there were you'd still have to log it as that would be counted in the basic TDEE.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    ...I have no idea if there are foods you can eat that burn more than they contain...
    There aren't. TEF (Thermic Effect of Feeding) isn't high enough to overcome the raw caloric content, and your jaw muscles are very small - you burn negligible calories in the act of chewing. "Negative calorie foods" are an old wives' tale. There are certainly some foods with calorie counts so low as to be almost negligible (celery, for example), but they're not "negative calorie" - nor do they provide many nutrients.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

BUT,

Some foods are so few in calories, it takes more calories (or same amount of calories) to burn and digest the food than there are calories in the food.

Examples...

Fruits

apple
    cranberries
    grapefruit
    lemon
    mango
    orange
    pineapple
    raspberries
    strawberries
    tangerine

Vegetables

asparagus
    beet
    broccoli
    cabbage (green)
    carrot
    cauliflower
    celery
    Chile peppers (hot)
    cucumber
    dandelion
    endive
    garden cress
    garlic
    green beans
    lettuce
    onion
    papaya
    radishes
    spinach
    turnip

Link to study published in a reputable peer reviewed journal please.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

BUT,

Examples...

Fruits

apple
    cranberries
    grapefruit
    lemon
    mango
    orange
    pineapple
    raspberries
    strawberries
    tangerine

Vegetables

asparagus
    beet
    broccoli
    cabbage (green)
    carrot
    cauliflower
    celery
    Chile peppers (hot)
    cucumber
    dandelion
    endive
    garden cress
    garlic
    green beans
    lettuce
    onion
    papaya
    radishes
    spinach
    turnip

False. All false.

While it may take maybe one or two calories more energy to digest those foods, it STILL is less than the calories in the food. It really doesn't take the body very much energy to digest food, and it doesn't matter what kind. If the GI tract is faced with a food/substance that is extremely difficult to process, it will take the path of least resistance, and instead of working harder to break it down, will just pass it through.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Link to study published in a reputable peer reviewed journal please.
    Don't hold your breath waiting.
  • Neconilis
    Neconilis Posts: 19 Member
    Options

This.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Because Dr. Oz does
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    All food takes some energy to digest. None of it is adjusted for post-digestion. Even ones that may or may not have a negative caloric effect. Bottom line, log everything. Count the dietary caloric value of the food the same for all items you eat.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Venison from a deer you chased down and killed with your bare hands.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    can I "like" this?
    Venison from a deer you chased down and killed with your bare hands.
    And this?