Negative calorie foods

Options

Replies

• featherkiss
    Options
    If someone finds a negative calorie carb....let me in on it....would be like a non-alchoholic beer for a drunk.....
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Since mango was on the "list" a mango has aprox 130 calories say you eat 10 of them (yes that's a lot of mangos) do you think that those 1130 calories just go poof? You would log that correct? If you would log it if you ate 10 you should log it if you ate 1 or a half etc.

To me it would be a very slippery slope to decide that some calories don't really count.

I tried to cut a mango once. I am certain I burned at least 130 calories in stomping around the kitchen, angrily cursing at it and eventually just brutally stabbing it over and over.

I also did not know one could eat a dandilion. My food budget will dimish greatly this summer :wink:
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Since mango was on the "list" a mango has aprox 130 calories say you eat 10 of them (yes that's a lot of mangos) do you think that those 1130 calories just go poof? You would log that correct? If you would log it if you ate 10 you should log it if you ate 1 or a half etc.

To me it would be a very slippery slope to decide that some calories don't really count.

I tried to cut a mango once. I am certain I burned at least 130 calories in stomping around the kitchen, angrily cursing at it and eventually just brutally stabbing it over and over.

I also did not know one could eat a dandilion. My food budget will dimish greatly this summer :wink:

That only counts if you logged the "exercise" :happy:
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Okay, I literally laughed at loud! I'm so happy someone else caught the dandelion on that list of ridiculousness! Thanks for the laugh today!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I log bacon and bread as negative calories. On days I don't feel like working out, I just eat a loaf of bread. BOOM! -2070 calories!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You mean like water? Yes. If you are referring to foods that supposedly have no calories, there aren't any.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I only tend to log caloric foods myself. Hasn't hurt progress!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Everything has calories!!

BUT,

Some foods are so few in calories, it takes more calories (or same amount of calories) to burn and digest the food than there are calories in the food.

Examples...

Fruits

apple
    cranberries
    grapefruit
    lemon
    mango
    orange
    pineapple
    raspberries
    strawberries
    tangerine

Vegetables

asparagus
    beet
    broccoli
    cabbage (green)
    carrot
    cauliflower
    celery
    Chile peppers (hot)
    cucumber
    dandelion
    endive
    garden cress
    garlic
    green beans
    lettuce
    onion
    papaya
    radishes
    spinach
    turnip

It not true. If you eat enough, you will gain weight. It might take a while to get past your calorie goal, but it is entirely possible.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I only eat foods with positive calories.
  • ljauk
    ljauk Posts: 1
    Options
    Suppose it depends if you are keeping track of the protein, carbs, vitamins, sugar, etc... all that kaboodle. I change my food sometimes if I go over on a specific protein or carb so I just dont count calories :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Why do you people hate science?

You deserve a flower. One genetically modified by science. :flowerforyou:
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it make sense to lean on the side of caution? I mean, celery & black coffee is one thing--but an apple (example on the list) may in fact take a lot to digest, but that's about 100 calories that I would be a little worried about not logging.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If someone finds a negative calorie carb....let me in on it....would be like a non-alchoholic beer for a drunk.....

I'm with feather if this.
    IMO It's just another fabled shortcut that people try in place of discipline and work.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    FFS.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Why do you people hate science?

Because ignorance is bliss
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Everything has calories!!

BUT,

Some foods are so few in calories, it takes more calories (or same amount of calories) to burn and digest the food than there are calories in the food.

Examples...

Fruits

apple
    cranberries
    grapefruit
    lemon
    mango
    orange
    pineapple
    raspberries
    strawberries
    tangerine

Vegetables

asparagus
    beet
    broccoli
    cabbage (green)
    carrot
    cauliflower
    celery
    Chile peppers (hot)
    cucumber
    dandelion
    endive
    garden cress
    garlic
    green beans
    lettuce
    onion
    papaya
    radishes
    spinach
    turnip

It doesn't take 70 calories to digest an orange. Same with most of this. list. A few of these have so few calories that it might more or less even out, but most of this is untrue. Especially the fruit.

And this.
  • supergirljen
    Options
    I don't log diet drinks and fruit when its 10 calories or less because I don't want to get bored of tracking and it seems so minimal it's pointless. Never adds up to more than 100 calories in a day.

On the other hand, I don't log the 10-15 min walks with my dog or quickies on the home bike and only log 30 min plus exercise sessions. Also, if I give the last bite of my biscuit to the dog, I don't make any deduction for it from my log.

If the scale stops showing results I may become more strict, but considering how much stuff we eat is just estimated anyway I don't think a few 10 calorie drinks missed off the list will make much difference.

Yes.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Do you have to eat back calories lost from negative calorie foods?

Welcome back Doc :)
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I wonder if crab is a negative calorie food... It takes so much effort to get to the sweet, succulent meat, you probably burn more calories getting it open than you consume.

:wink:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a way to eat more... exercise.