Replies

• nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    go return them lol for a store credit and buy sometin healthy lol
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Well you can either throw the item away and stay or move out. If you keep throwing the item away may be she will get the hint.

seems like the mature way of handling things.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    You're 21 and you're scolding your mom for buying certain unnamed grocery items. Yes, its time to move out.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If that's the case, what is it, other than sabotage?

A subtle hint that its time to move out.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Time to pack your bags.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Sorry. You do have to learn to say 'no' and live w/ temptation. There will always be circumstances you cannot control. If you move out -- esp. when not actually ready (I am assuming, btw) -- you will be able to control much of your surroundings. But, then you have friends, and other relationships, and you cannot control the food they might have on hand, or order in a restaurant, or whatever. Unless you plan to live on a small island w/o friends, family, co-workers, etc., you will need to face these things. So, take advantage of the opportunity to learn at home, presumably for free.

Good luck. Hang in there!
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    yep. move out, buy your own.
  • Badd3st
    Badd3st Posts: 28
    Options
    Learn to deal with temptations; they're always going to be there.

I agree.
  • drea85an
    drea85an Posts: 130
    Options
    This is like complaining that a restaurant has unhealthy dishes. You eat them. Stop complaining. You are 21 , not 12 .
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Learn to deal with temptations; they're always going to be there.

This.
  • givehimhell
    Options
    If the items were items that OTHER people in your family liked and you are the only one trying to lose weight I would understand it but it seems quite wrong of your mother to be bringing in unhealthy junk food that you have asked her not to bring that only you would eat. Have to agree it is sabbotage.

I would not sabbotage yourself further by moving out before you are ready, the longer you can stay at home and save your money the better for you but perhaps consider telling your mother to no longer shop for you as she is not respecting your choices and do your own grocery shopping and consider anything she buys off limits as you would if you were sharing a house with other people.

Alternatively, if it is just you who would eat them and you don't intend to throw them away straight away that way you won't be tempted. I think there is enough temptation everywhere else to deal with you don't need your family who are supposed to be supporting you sabbotaging you. Family members, particularly parents should support their children - regardless of their age- who are trying to have a healthier diet after all it is their children's health at stake.
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Well you can either throw the item away and stay or move out. If you keep throwing the item away may be she will get the hint.

This!

Um...yup....or bag the offensive items and give to someone who would like, food pantry, skinny undernourished co-worker. Someone might as well enjoy. Eventually Mom will get the hint, maybe even before you find that place of your own.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    she just laughs and says "don't eat them"

I agree with your mom.

As do I.
  • vbarrient
    vbarrient Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Go buy your own snacks and foods you like to eat. Contribute to the meal and your mother might like some of foods you come up with being that she also goes to the gym. Keep them out of sight whatever it is she buys. Surely she's not buying Twinkies or something, LOL. Do you have siblings in the house too? You will need willpower where ever you live. Good luck!
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I haven't lived at home for 12 years and my Mom still does this; she brought my 2 favorite desserts over last time she visited. It won't change just by moving out. You have to learn to control your urges. I ate one Rice Krispy Treat and gave the rest to my husband (yes, that means they were still in the house) and put the cherry pie in the freezer in case I need a quick dessert when we have company over.
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the people who understand the fact i'm the only one who eats the foods that she bought that i told her not to buy for me. Sure i can buy my own groceries. It's not going to stop her from buying the food for me..... and if i could afford to move out, i would. I'm still trying to figure out school. And I'm not complaining. If anything, just trying to see if anyone's in the same situation. Calm down everyone, lol.

And i didn't say I was going to eat them. Of course the temptations there, but i'm not going to give in. It's just a waste of money and the principle of it is annoying.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    So let me get this straight, you don't pay for the groceries and you're complaining about what your mommy buys :huh:
    Gee Whatta hardship ....
    Have some self control and be thankful
  • username_misso
    username_misso Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i'd say its sabotage, pure and simple. if you have asked your mum not to buy stuff as you are the only one that eats things and you no longer wish to eat them, my guess she is unhappy with her own progress if you are gymming together.

if you were just friends you could cut this kind of toxic behaviour out of your life, but given that its family, its a tough situation.
    it sounds like you have already tried to talk to your mum and ask for her support, but just arent getting it.

giving the food away or throwing it out might help her see that you will not be phased by her attempts to thwart your progress.
    maybe you can channel the hate into not eating the foods, just to spite her? i find anger a really, really good driver!
    can you have a stash of go-to healthier foods that you can eat instead if you are overcome with cravings?
    or do something to distract yourself, like go for a walk so you are not only not letting her "win", but using her actions to push you closer to your goals like some kind of bizarre reverse psychology?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yep, move out or throw it out.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat it.