Boy do I need to move out.

Options

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I scold her for it and she just laughs and says "don't eat them"

You scolded your mother? SHE bought the groceries. She can buy what she wants. Shame on you.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    she just laughs and says "don't eat them"

I agree with your mom.

Yeah, but why does mom insist on buying them if no one else in the house eats them? That just seems passive aggressive (or plain mean) to me. You could also just throw them away if no one else is going to eat them. Or take them to work / school, etc and give them away. Maybe that would make your point more clearly.

Good luck! Enjoy your new place ;-)
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have to say that despite the fact that you live at home and your mom buys the food, i don't think it's wrong to address sabotage, etc. If your mom cares, she will want to help anyway she can. Explaining to her, yet again perhaps, that in most cases, you just don't eat the bad things, but in a few, it is so irresistable that you can't seem to help yourself and ask her if she buys them, to not even let you know they are there (aka hide them). When all else fails, i vote you throw them out and pretend you ate them. Yes, it's not honest, but at least they will be gone and she will see that they are indeed "irresistable".

And i'm a mom of a 20 and 22 year old, one of which lives at home and eats my groceries. So the shoe fits!
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Well you can either throw the item away and stay or move out. If you keep throwing the item away may be she will get the hint.

This is the most ridiculous thing to say!

OP, be thankful that your mom provides place for you to live and buys groceries. Get self control to resist temptations, and if you slip, don't make a tragedy out of it, but get on track asap.
  • hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Throw them away and tell her you gorged on them! You can have a mini "I told you so" moment without really doing it :laugh:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    LMFAO.
    Best.
    Post.
    Ever.
  • mk_hammer
    mk_hammer Posts: 105
    Options
    Jeez, what a first-world problem. When you have an environment of your own, you can control it. Until then, you're just going to have to learn to resist that stuff.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You don't "need" to move out...you need to ask your mom why she is trying to sabotage you & chuckling about it? Afraid you'll succeed? She may have some resentment or issues if she wants to see you fail....Your tummy doesn't know what your fav food is, only your head. Tell your head something new....get a new fav food. Stay strong....You can do it!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Maybe mom is a little scatter-brained. I've offered up something to one of my two adult children and had child tell me "you know I don't like that!" Ummmmmmmmmm, maybe I SHOULD have known. But I didn't. Some people do things out of habit without thinking it through.

So cut mom some slack. She's not necessarily sabotaging her daughter on purpose.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Also, remember to be grateful they're still providing for you. Seriously.

(Says the 23 year old still living with her mom. Granted I did pitch in $1250 of my life savings to renting this house but that doesn't make me any less grateful to have a roof over my unemployed head and food in my unemployed stomach)
  • jsenecal12
    Options
    You're scolding your mother and giving her orders? Yeah, maybe you should move out, it might help you mature a bit.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If mom is paying for them then there is no debate, she can get what she wants, I wouldnt even argue.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I joined the military. They didn't give a crap what I wanted for lunch either.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    The number of self-righteous people in this thread make my head hurt. Holy moly.

OP, I didn't try to make this lifestyle change until I was in my 30s so you're worlds ahead of me. If I was still living at home I'm sure I'd have the same temptations always. Although in my case it wouldn't be stuff only I ate. My whole family has been overweight due to bad eating habits that are hell to break.

Trigger foods are awful (mine are french fries and chocolate) and the fact that your mother buys them knowing they're triggers is not good. I agree with the idea of portioning them out so you can have one every once in awhile, or trying to ignore them altogether (which I know is easier said than done). Hopefully at some point she'll realize you're not eating them or are only eating them very rarely and she'll stop. Good luck!
  • melinda3792
    Options
    "don't eat them"
    I agree with your mom too :\ Sorry, but put it in a Mom's perspective. If you weren't trying to lose weight, a mom still has to buy certain foods for her kids that may or may not help her own diet but you have to have the willpower to not eat that food. If you don't have will power now living with her and the food, you won't have the will power on your own when she isn't around to tsk tsk you when you grab that bag of chips.
  • melinda3792
    Options
    ummm yes hun it time to move out.. Your 21 get some room mates and have fun,,,,
    Unless she is making some money, which obviously she isn't a) at 21 and b ) living under mum's roof, she won't be having fun. Having roommates will make matters worse as they would still be sharing food.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    she just laughs and says "don't eat them"

I agree with your mom.
    What he said.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I joined the military. They didn't give a crap what I wanted for lunch either.

Hahaha...true. In boot camp, I lived on jelly and crackers just to satisfy that sweet tooth, that and the food was horrid.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    ...i've told her numerous times not to buy certain food items.
    I scold her for it ...

You are 21 years old.
    Buy your own damn groceries.
    If my 21 year old scolded me ... they'd be moved out - immediately.

I hope you never have to actually make that decision. It'd suck to have to eat your words.
  • takehomepay
    takehomepay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I"d move out... if you can afford it. Sounds like your Mom gets something out of sabbotaging you. If you can't move out, get a dorm fridge and clear out one cabinet as yours. Keep your food there, make your own meals. Make your own space within your Mom's space. I don't agree with the advice about having some self control. Some of us (sound like you are one) just can't be around foods that are tempting / toxic. Good luck!