Boy do I need to move out.

Options

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    So let me get this straight, you don't pay for the groceries and you're complaining about what your mommy buys :huh:
    Gee Whatta hardship ....
    Have some self control and be thankful
    Yes, wasting money on food items your child - who is the only person who eats said item - doesn't want is quite intelligent. Her mother needs to grow up and stop being wasteful at the expense of being immature.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Man, I wish I could live at home at 21, I had to move out when I was 15.

I'll stop there, because I could say some mean things.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    The nerve of your Mom. You should probably make out the grocery list yourself, go with her, fill the basket yourself. Go ahead and let her be involved a little. Like pulling out her checkbook at the checkout counter.

Seriously...when you are living in someone else's home, you should be grateful. If you want something special, buy it. Prepare your own meals. Prepare some of the family meals. Until you contribute, you should just be thankful.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I feel like the only way to stop this is to move out and buy my own groceries. yikes..

Key words right there... If she is buying the groceries, she picks what is bought... if you aren't ready to move out... why not buy your own food?
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You are 21! I can't believe your mom hasn't kicked you out yet! Not to be mean but I booted my boys out at 19 only because I love em and wanted then to be independant individuals. You cannot expect your mom not to buy the groceries she wants to buy in her home, thats just rude. Now, go find a nice little apt and start buying your own groceries, you are a big girl now :)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Moving out and living on your own is a big responsibility. I dont know how old you are or anything else about your life but I think this is a little irrational. Buy your own groceries or don't eat the things she buys, if you are not mature enough to be able to decide what food you eat then you definitely arent mature enough to pay the bills and keep house.
  • FierceFox81
    Options
    Learn to deal with temptations; they're always going to be there.

Yup! ^^^^ That's life. Always some sort of temptation around. Don't eat whatever it is. If you are the only one that eats them and she bought them anyways to tempt you. Open it up infront of her, and dump it in the trash. Let he know that it was a waste of her money and you are serious about sticking to your goals. But if other people are eating them, then just be strong and pretend you don't know it's there.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Yeah, clearly you have it so rough. Someone who does your shopping and puts a roof over your head at 21. *eyeroll*
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Seriously?! I just love when people blame others for what food is around them!! It's sad you sit here and run your mother down because of the food she buys. you're the one who wants to change, deal with it! smh

Um, her mother is buying poor food choices that only the OP will eat. I don't know but I think that's kind of jerky.

I think that self control is important and if the mom has to fork out $ on food her grown daughter doesn't eat will teach her a lesson. Stop blaming others for your lack of control, just teach her a lesson. Say, thanks mom but I don't eat that junk anymore so you are wasting your money :)
  • notsodesperatehousewife
    Options
    Unless you are paying rent you shouldn't scold your mom, and even then that's disrespectful! She shouldn't have to cut out foods she wants to eat because its hard for you to say no.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think the OP has a point if, like she said, she is the only one who eats the items she has asked her mom not to purchase. If that's the case, what is it, other than sabotage?

habit
    her mom buys them for a long time, so she probably got them before even thinking.
    My mom buys me foods I don't eat anymore (I tend to eat some food like all the time and then after few months never touch it again) but I don't get mad at her, I just remind her, mom I don't like that anymore.
  • mollylookalike
    mollylookalike Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    if you're the "only one that eats them" - THROW THEM AWAY. Tell her you're doing this, and she's just throwing money away. Or have her put them somewhere you can't see them if someone else is going to eat them.
  • CaoimheAine
    Options
    You're 21 and you're scolding your mom for buying certain unnamed grocery items. Yes, its time to move out.

Buy your own food for God's sake, I have been since I was 17. I also moved out last year. Get a job and save up, it's time to become a little more independant my dear...
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Well, I suppose you'll have to live alone, then. What if you have roommates that bring home junk food? Or an SO? Or when co-workers bring in junk to the workplace (which happens a lot)? Unfortunately, you just have to learn to deal. The world doesn't stop just because I'm eating differently.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    My mom knows i'm counting my calories and going to the gym (since we go together, lol) and i've told her numerous times not to buy certain food items. Yesterday she walks in the door with one of the items i didn't want. Today? Did it again with another one i mentioned. I scold her for it and she just laughs and says "don't eat them" when she knows how hard that's going to be for me, as they're my favorite and i'm the only one in the family that eats them.

I feel like the only way to stop this is to move out and buy my own groceries. yikes..

Oh damn.

First thing, your 21 years old, its time to move out.

Second thing, you are in HER house and telling her what SHE buys with HER money at the grocery store is inconsiderate. Buy your own food if you don't like it.

Third. Temptation is everywhere and no one is to blame for eating "bad food" but you.

I'm sorry if I am blunt but I get a sense of entitlement from you and that gets under my skin. I have worked for everything I have since I was 16 years and on on my own. Time to buck up.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I hear you girl. I have to exact same problem. I say just throw the food away. That will piss her off and then maybe she won't do it again. Another thing that you could do is go grocery shopping with her so then you can be absolutely sure that she won't buy any of your problem foods.

Thank you for this post. I though I was a brat when I lived at home, you make me look like a saint. I'm 25 and if my kid did that I would either make them go replace it all with their own money or let them go be responsible for their OWN adult life...

For real though, when 21 year olds are complaining about what groceries their parents buy, and admitting to throwing them away,I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    you do not need to move out. of course right now it probably feels like this incredibly unfair and oppressive setup, but i guarantee you'll look back someday and realise how sweet you've got it.

and, as others have said, just don'teat the food. set your shoulders, put on your stubborn face, and refuse to play ball. don't throw it out, that's wasteful, and (i think) rude. look at it this way - you didn't buy it, you didn't ask for it, so it's obviously not your food to eat, give away OR dispose of!

plus, if your mum really is trying to sabotage you, leaving it sitting on the shelf untouched is a gentle 'up yours' in her direction. and, if you're tempted to cave in, just think 'if i open that packet, she's going to know i caved, and she'd going to know not to take me seriously next time i ask her not to buy something'

i know you said this food is your favourite, but as others have said, temptation is everywhere, and you are just going to have to suck it up and be strong. use that food as a catalyst to change!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you sound like a brat. "I told her numerous times not to buy them and what does she do".. Oh the horror.

If you don't like what she buys, then go with her and pick out choices or write it down.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    Throw it out.

I used to do it all the time when I got brought crappy foods.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You're 21 and you're scolding your mom for buying certain unnamed grocery items. Yes, its time to move out.

^^^ this.