Lost any or all respect for Lance Atrmstrong?

Options

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I have no more or no less respect than I did prior to this "revelation" ( I mean seriously?)

Great athlete, not a terribly nice person.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    lol wasn't long ago half the posters on here were still convinced he was innocent!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/716616-lance-armstrong-admits-to-cheating
    The only question I have is why all these other riders all of a sudden came out of the woodworks to testify against him after being complicit and staying silent about it for so long. I have to doubt some of their motives and veracity as well.

Because they knew they were guilty and knew they were about to be outed in the report. Makes them look a little bit better by admitting it first rather than hanging until the bitter end like LA.

If you haven't heard the BBC interview with Tyler Hamilton check it out, the casual nature which he takes about the extent of his doping is amazing.

It's the nature of sports these days, there is a very good chance your favourite football player, wrestler your son is a fan of, favourite fitness model or whoever are using...get used to it.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    so he was the best "cheater" in a peloton of "cheaters" --- I don't see the USDA spending millions to strip the other Tour winners of their titles ... So for me it was a witch hunt, either get them all or shut the he!! up and save my tax dollars for something that actually matters.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    he consistently cheated and ruined people's lives. he also failed test(s). i dont see how anyone can respect him.
    Yeah like steroids helped him that much.

The mind is a powerful thing.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I still have quite a bit of respect for Lance. He's devoted quite a bit of his time and efforts to LiveStrong. I find him incredibly inspirational.

As for the doping, in my opinion, I think its obvious to anyone paying attention that you cannot compete at the professional level without some sort of chemical assistance. You either use or you lose. There is literally no one left at the top of the cycling world because of the various doping incidents. Either the agencies get serious about testing every athlete regularly throughout the year, or they allow the athletes to use what they what. This half-**** approach isn't working.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Someone keeps asking how did he ruin anyone's life. I want to know too. Lots of people are cheaters and liars, many the more money they have the more crap they do, but I want to know also whose life he ruined.

How about the people he beat in racing who did not cheat, and may have won if he hadn't cheated? Maybe "ruin" is strong, so maybe "Very adversely affected",, might be better.

^^^You need to check your facts. Show me one person in cycling, who means anything at all, who didn't use.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I still have quite a bit of respect for Lance. He's devoted quite a bit of his time and efforts to LiveStrong. I find him incredibly inspirational.

As for the doping, in my opinion, I think its obvious to anyone paying attention that you cannot compete at the professional level without some sort of chemical assistance. You either use or you lose. There is literally no one left at the top of the cycling world because of the various doping incidents. Either the agencies get serious about testing every athlete regularly throughout the year, or they allow the athletes to use what they what. This half-**** approach isn't working.
    /Thread Killer.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Quite a bit, yes. What some atheletics has turned into, is quite a shame. Quite a shame indeed.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    The man is just an amazing athlete, beat cancer, started a great foundation. So he fell into the same trap as a LOT of other athletes have when they start to get a little older. He's still a great guy in my book...and I'll continue to wear my "livestrong" bracelet.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    he's a narcissistic dbag.

just read any of the accounts from his former friends and business partners he's screwed over over the years.

for example,

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/biking/road-biking/My-Life-With-Lance-Armstrong.html

i could care less whether he doped or not. apparently everyone in his sport dopes and has been doping for decades. but the stories about how Lance Armstrong has behaved in her personal life (to his wife and his friends) tells me everything i need to know about him.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    If he hadn't spoke out against others that did the same thing, I could understand, but he is a hypocrite.

The other sad thing is that he is only apologizing and coming clean so that he can compete in Triathalons. A purely selfish motivation.

The worst thing is that Livestrong will suffer dimminishing contributions.
  • hoosierlad
    hoosierlad Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think he is a cheater and liar whom did what he did for personal gain while defaming others to hide his cheating. We all know he cheated, the evidence is in so let the lawyers have at him and get him out of the news.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    didn't lose respect. i think he still would have won one without cheating. i can't find a way to not respect a man who made me give a *kitten* about people riding bicycles.
    The people who have lost respect for him are the people who looked up to him. I didn't so I could care less about what he did/didn't achieve with/without enhancement.
    So let's talk NFL football now.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9ers/Pats superbowl. Bank on it

^agreed
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    d).
  • Puggy33
    Puggy33 Posts: 300
    Options
    Sport athletes are our modern age gladiators, we watch them for sport, praise them for when they do great and eat them alive when they do bad, but I believe this should only be done on the playing field and not what they do with themselves or to themselves personally when not "performing". So Lance and the baseball players doped...Were you not entertained? (insert horrible gladiator pun here, kinda did it on purpose lol) Is that not the whole reason you watch sporting events or do you watch them so you can point out character flaws to make yourself feel better? Doping or not the things he accomplished were still incredible. If you took performance enhancing drugs could YOU do what he did? I think really they should allow doping in all sports. It may sound heartless and dumb beyond all measures but besides the fact that kids look up to these guys, I don't see any reason we should stop them from doing what they want in order to perform better on the field and entertain, that is what they are getting paid for am I right? It's not giving me a heart attack at the age of 40 or making my balls the size of raisins so why should I get involved in a strangers business.
  • jupe1407
    Options
    The ONLY reason Armstrong is admitting his guilt is because he hopes for a shortened ban to allow him to compete in triathlons. His career is littered with the backstabbing of former friends and team mates, law suits against anyone suggesting he doped and overall, he's pretty much the biggest cheat in sporting history.

If his fanboys want to ignore all that because or a yellow wristband, carry on.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Someone keeps asking how did he ruin anyone's life. I want to know too. Lots of people are cheaters and liars, many the more money they have the more crap they do, but I want to know also whose life he ruined.

How about the people he beat in racing who did not cheat, and may have won if he hadn't cheated? Maybe "ruin" is strong, so maybe "Very adversely affected",, might be better.

^^^You need to check your facts. Show me one person in cycling, who means anything at all, who didn't use.

Errrr...

Bradley Wiggins, holder of several world records, current TdF winner, only cyclist to win Paris–Nice, Tour de Romandie, Critérium du Dauphiné and Tour de France in the same year etc etc.

...and a cyclist who has never doped (he probably would have achieved much of this sooner if he had).
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I just don't care
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I went to buy a pair of headphones a month or so back. I was looking to buy some decent ones. I picked up some iSport Monster headphones for less than half price. As far as i could tell, they were the same as the ones at regular price beside them on the rack except for the colour (i.e. yellow vs. blue). There were dozens of yellow, only a couple blue left.

It turns out they were Livestrong branded...and the store likely wanted them off the rack & out of the store, but they weren't selling. I guess that's what some retailers (i.e., Futureshop) think of Armstrong's and consequently his foundation.
  • photognurse
    photognurse Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Who is this Armstrong guy you speak of? He walked on the moon right? Exactly....