Lost any or all respect for Lance Atrmstrong?

Options

Replies

• zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    lol@anyone who believes anyone in the sports industry (pick a sport, it doesn't matter) is clean.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    my answer to that is no because he is human being, he chose to deal with the pressure put on him by doing dope. we as people tend to put him on to high of a pedestal. we need to see him as a human being who lost his way.
  • regirip10
    Options
    If everyone does it--how is that cheating.
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    he consistently cheated and ruined people's lives. he also failed test(s). i dont see how anyone can respect him.

LOL... how did he ruin anyones life ?
    He has done TONS for people through his foundation.

He consistently tried to discredit other riders, treated people like ****e, blamed others and was generally a horrible person

not to mention you were ostracized by him unless you went along with doping. a few had to leave the team because of this and never got to see their full potential.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i just feel sad about it. i grew up in the 90s and he was THE fitness idol...besides jordan of course.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    if the average person took steroids then sat around and watched TV all day they would still be a fat bloated mess with nothing to show for it. Now if you take steroids, craft your diet to perfection, train hard for hours a day, you can become a beast. Moral of the story, drugs are still just a supplement, a tool if you will, you still need to put in the hard work.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    he consistently cheated and ruined people's lives. he also failed test(s). i dont see how anyone can respect him.

Really? He threw teammates, competitors, trainers and other technical support staff during his riding career under the bus. Look up Greg and Kathy Lemond for a start. There are many, many people that Lance Armstrong threatened with ruin if they did not help him continue to perpetuate his lie.
  • kenhelms17720
    Options
    Haven't really lost any respect for him, it was professional cycling on the European circuit.....
    There would be no way to be top level competitive without enhancements.

He still was an amazing athlete and had a great foundation, however he had an abrasive personality and became a target. His money and lawyers couldn't keep the banned substances quiet forever when he is the spotlight continuously.

Anyone who thinks that he was unique in the use of enhancements, and the legal action he took against people who tried to blackball him are only fooling themselves.

As for the people he threw under the bus.... seriously? They were with a professional team in high profile cycling.... you don't do that unless you are comfortable with the "unspeakable" parts of that culture.

He was immoral, yes. Most professional elite athletes are if you compare apples and oranges.

To clarify, not defending him at all. Just indifferent.
    It's like asking if you care who the newly elected mayor of a town 200 miles west of you is.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

Really? He threw teammates, competitors, trainers and other technical support staff during his riding career under the bus. Look up Greg and Kathy Lemond for a start. There are many, many people that Lance Armstrong threatened with ruin if they did not help him continue to perpetuate his lie.

if the average person threw teammates, competitors, trainers and other technical support staff during his riding career under the bus then sat around and watched TV all day they would still be a fat bloated mess with nothing to show for it. Now if you threw teammates, competitors, trainers and other technical support staff during his riding career under the bus, take steroids, craft your diet to perfection, train hard for hours a day, you can become a (immoral) beast. Moral of the story, throwing teammates, competitors, trainers and other technical support staff during his riding career under the bus are still just a supplement, a tool if you will, you still need to put in the hard work.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    if the average person took steroids then sat around and watched TV all day they would still be a fat bloated mess with nothing to show for it. Now if you take steroids, craft your diet to perfection, train hard for hours a day, you can become a beast. Moral of the story, drugs are still just a supplement, a tool if you will, you still need to put in the hard work.

steroids are pretty far down on the list of why people hate him now.
  • AngryDiet
    Options

steroids are pretty far down on the list of why people hate him now.

Now now. Don't you know that every single professional athlete takes performance enhancing drugs? And therefore they all have to do the same devious and underhanded things, and lie compulsively? You cannot condemn one man for the evils of an entire sports empire. It's not his fault that he threw teammates, competitors, trainers and other technical support staff during his riding career under the bus, it's your fault and my fault for building a system that requires it. It's everyone else's fault!
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Lance (I'm good friends with him and therefore on a first name basis) is the victim here!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    physically amazing, morally bankrupt.
    Livewrong would be more appropriate.

I agree, The Livestrong Foundation has done a lot of great things for peoeple. But him? Fail.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Now seriously, how many of you actually even watch the the tour De France?!?! How many of you can name 5 other cyclists in the race? Probably less than 1% of you without CHEATING and running to google. Stop buying into every load of crap the media feeds you and grow up. Your holier than thou routines are stupider than an entire season of Here comes Honey boo boo.

I must be in the 1% then... probably because I'm European and cycling has far more followers and fans over here than in the US.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Not to mention if you are going to hate on someone, at least learn to spell his name A-R-M-S-T-R-O-N-G, not that hard, we're pretty much talking a compound word here

And you can learn to read. In my original post I admitted making a TYPO, that the forum would not allow me to correct. You can't correct the titles after they are submitted..... Those muscles make you a bully? LOL
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

if the average person threw teammates, competitors, trainers and other technical support staff during his riding career under the bus then sat around and watched TV all day they would still be a fat bloated mess with nothing to show for it. Now if you threw teammates, competitors, trainers and other technical support staff during his riding career under the bus, take steroids, craft your diet to perfection, train hard for hours a day, you can become a (immoral) beast. Moral of the story, throwing teammates, competitors, trainers and other technical support staff during his riding career under the bus are still just a supplement, a tool if you will, you still need to put in the hard work.

Have you read court documents and testimonies documenting the threats and illegal behavior Lance Armstrong levied against his 'friends', supporters and teammates during the period of time he was trying to cover his lies? I know he worked hard, that doesn't make it OK for him to personal smear the morals and integrity of the people who worked with him.

Armstrong is a hard worker and a strong competitor - he is also a liar, an immoral/unethical man, and not anyone I would ever consider a role model. This is an article from last fall when things started falling apart for him: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/zone-lance-armstrong-bully-downfall-article-1.1188512

How is any of what he did excusable?
  • motown13
    Options
    I think everyone makes mistakes. EVERYONE. It's' just that ours aren't as publicized. It's not like he killed somebody. Besides, we don't really know the exact details of what went on. Okay, he's a cheater. He's human. At least he has made a lot of great contributions in society, unlike many self righteous people. There's worse people out there than someone who "doped up" to be elite on some two wheeled mechanism for metal trophies that mean nothing in the after life.

This is more than a mistake..... He intentionally took steroids, denied it for years, sued people, abused people..... No, it's not murder, but far more than a simple "Ooopsie".
  • motown13
    Options

He was immoral, yes. Most professional elite athletes are if you compare apples and oranges.

And you know this how?
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    We all make mistakes and he still put in the work. I just wonder how many famous athletes have done or are doing the same thing.
  • kenhelms17720
    Options

And you know this how?

Common sense.

The general consensus here is that doping is bad. (apples)
    The general consensus among professional cyclists is its acceptable, just don't talk about it. (oranges)

So yes... "most" would be unethical by the standards that are being displayed here.

Don't take a random person's (me) word for it though, there are many articles and books that can put together a good picture of the culture.