Marriage values in our society....

Options

Replies

• 4C_diva
    4C_diva Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The responses to this thread already show the lack of values.
    No, it's not her business, but apparently it's something she wished to talk about. Marriage is supposed to be sacred. And people are throwing it away like it means nothing. So I totally agree with this post. Is it my business whether someone else has an affair? No... but that doesn't take away from the fact that the world's population is lacking morals and values.

And why in the world do you bother commenting on such a post if you just want to say it's none of their business? It doesn't really make sense. If you don't want to discuss it, then find your way out.

Well said. I totally agree with you.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Has there always been affairs? Yes there has, but people today just don't see marriage as sacred anymore. Most people nowadays get married for all the wrong reasons and then end up divorcing down the line. And celebrities, I am sorry to say it, have made marriage out to be a joke and so kids think of it as that, a joke.

Granted my husband and I have only been married for almost 2 years, but it wasn't a decision to jump into. We have been together for almost 5 years, and have an almost 1 year old, but we had been engaged for 2 years before we got married, and we went through the engaged couples stuff that the church makes you go through, but we look back on it and it makes us appreciate what we have and helped our lines of communication.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think every marriage and situation is different. How 'bout I don't judge you; you don't judge me.

By the way, these are YOUR morals and values...probably based on your religious beliefs. Everyone has different belief systems. None of them are right or wrong. Just different.

Soooo glad I don't live in a society where the religious right wing conservatives think selling guns in Walmart is grand but having sex is a sin!

Lol , was all of this written by the same poster ?

:D I know right? It was so bi-polar.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I think the whole concept of "societal values" is, and always has been kind of shaky. While there are shifts in majority and minority, there have always been different groups with different values. What I think makes for a great society is when all of those people are free to live according to their values, as long as their values don't involve force, coersion, (sp?) or oppression. Marriage, at the end of the day is really, only as sacred as the people in it decide it is. My wife and I are both very dedicated to our marriage, and we definite it by what would be considered biblical, Christian ideas. It fulfills us, and I'm very thankful for it and also for the fact that we've been successful at it so far. That's our journey. Other people are different, and I don't think it would be right to expect them to define marriage or even what it means to value a marriage by the same definition that I do. That's why I don't think the government should have squat to do with the legislation of marriage or marriage rights. People should be free to marry who they choose and to place whatever level of devotion they chose on that marriage...or non-marriage as it were. As long as we all remain free to think one another is crazy, and if only we could agree to treat each other with civility and respect, even in the face of absolute disagreement, I think it would be a pretty good system.

^^^^^ I agree.

I just don't like liars or cheats. I think universally dishonesty is seen as a flaw. I do not like that people make promises to each other and can't keep them. I'm not on a high horse. I don't disagree that "it happens". That doesn't make it "right". I feel that there ARE univeral morals. They are few, but i think dishonesty is one and that it is looked down upon prtetty much everywhere. Also someone who can't keep to what they say is...flaky and that's whack too. lol Why is it wrong to say that someone who is dishonest in their marriage are less than desirable? Why is judging so bad in that case? It's the truth... IMO of course.

I've got zero problems with calling a dog a dog. I agree that dishonesty is, or at least should be considered a major flaw, and neither is it wrong to call out someone who is dishonest in their marriage. I just think we should all be more careful when throwing around judgments about huge swaths of people who ascribe to different moral standards. I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone is making the claim that someone who is dishonest in a relationship is okay. If so then I disagree with that completely. But we do have to be careful applying terms like "the moral standard" when it's not that easy to pin down what a moral standard is for such a diverse society (wherever that society may be).
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    Has there always been affairs? Yes there has, but people today just don't see marriage as sacred anymore. Most people nowadays get married for all the wrong reasons and then end up divorcing down the line. And celebrities, I am sorry to say it, have made marriage out to be a joke and so kids think of it as that, a joke.

Granted my husband and I have only been married for almost 2 years, but it wasn't a decision to jump into. We have been together for almost 5 years, and have an almost 1 year old, but we had been engaged for 2 years before we got married, and we went through the engaged couples stuff that the church makes you go through, but we look back on it and it makes us appreciate what we have and helped our lines of communication.

Give it 8 more years. I will bet a paycheck...just based on the odds alone, and knowing nothing about you two...that one if not both of you have either a physical, or an emotional affair before that time.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Personally, I think every marriage and situation is different. How 'bout I don't judge you; you don't judge me.

By the way, these are YOUR morals and values...probably based on your religious beliefs. Everyone has different belief systems. None of them are right or wrong. Just different.

Soooo glad I don't live in a society where the religious right wing conservatives think selling guns in Walmart is grand but having sex is a sin!

Lol , was all of this written by the same poster ?

:D I know right? It was so bi-polar.

Huh? What's bipolar about that?
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Oh, and why is marriage "sacred"? It is only a contract really, and contracts are broken or dissolved all the time. Of course, I'm an atheist and don't place the same importance on the word "marriage" many religious people might.

Your wife must love that :)
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    My point is the crossover between those in the religious right judging people for their sexuality and thinking guns are just grand!
    So, sex is bad...but killing is ok?
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My point is the crossover between those in the religious right judging people for their sexuality and thinking guns are just grand!
    So, sex is bad...but killing is ok?

Absolutely.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i have to agree with ubermench. If you believe that "marriage values" have gone anywhere, you are mistaken. As long as there has been marriage, there have been examples of infidelity (I could point out several in the Bible). it is only new to folks who have noticed it around them for the first time.

because it's unnatural as a species to be monogamous. It's religion that felt it necessary to base these "guidelines" upon society, not nature. Religion has gone astray, not nature.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options

It just seems odd that you would deride the use of broad - brush judgementalism and it the next breath lump a group of people together and judge them for their stance . ( I don't think that the two examples given here are exclusive to religious minded conservatives either by the way ) IMHO of course .
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    I see what you're saying...the diff is that ppl sex life doesn't affect me. Crazy people with guns running around the streets affects me. That's the difference :)
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    Options
    I see what you're saying...the diff is that ppl sex life doesn't affect me. Crazy people with guns running around the streets affects me. That's the difference :)

NOO!!! WE ONLY AFFECT YOU IF WE SHOOT YOU. BIG DIFFERENCE. OMG.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    You're right; none of us have any values.

I, too, miss the old marriage values of society. When women were forced to marry the men who raped them. Or when women were considered property and nothing more. Or when women couldn't marry someone of a different race.

Yup. No values today. We've only gone downhill.

Good Point!
  • savage22hp
    Options

Walmart sells guns and condoms , neither of which promotes sexual promiscuity or a shooting rampage.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Considering I can't even get married in my state because of traditional values makes me pissed.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    I'll bow out of this debate as it doesn't affect me. :) I don't live in America where this is the case...guns are heavily regulated where I live as is sexuality (mostly Catholic church) so no where is without it's hypocrisy.

----
    exits stage left
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    Options
    *BUMP!* Gotta see more arguing!
  • savage22hp
    Options
    I think your opinion is just as valid as my own and hope that I did not come off as the arrogant @## that I sometimes resemble .
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe this thread is still open.
This discussion has been closed.