An Argument Against Fast Food

Options

Replies

• Bjmtrainer
    Bjmtrainer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The first thing I want when I reach goal weight is a Double Double Animal style.... That being said, it's a treat, not a staple.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    i JUST ordered the Pizza Hut dinner box
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    No one has ever suggested that a significant portion of your diet should be comprised of fast food.

Strawman is made of straw.

even if it's a small portion of your diet, the body still wastes energy trying to assimilate it. it's still a net loss in energy compared to the nutrient-dense alternative.

so by that logic, your body uses more calories to process fast food, wouldn't that be a postive for people trying to lose weight? That would be like one of those anecdotal finding like the value of nuts in the nurses health study that nut companies like to cite...

i'm not primarily talking about weight loss. if weight loss is the ONLY concern you have, and you care more about how your body looks on the outside than how it operates on the inside, you can absolutely eat fast food and lose weight.

I even mentioned that in my initial post. I'm talking about things beyond pure weight loss here.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    2566616-264_super.jpg
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    No one has ever suggested that a significant portion of your diet should be comprised of fast food.

I mean this respectfully, but that would make more sense if at any point he claimed that anyone did say that.
    It seems that maybe it's another reason to keep that food out of your diet if you so desire.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=174915&type=card
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I care much about the bioavailability of my micronutrients when I'm taking a daily multi vitamin, and I don't really eat all that much fast food anyway.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

I mean this respectfully, but that would make more sense if at any point he claimed that anyone did say that.
    It seems that maybe it's another reason to keep that food out of your diet if you so desire.

My point is, if fast food is making up a small portion of your diet, any of the effects he listed, even if true, would have a negligible overall effect.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    The first thing I want when I reach goal weight is a Double Double Animal style.... That being said, it's a treat, not a staple.

ok this is the one troll post I'll respond to because Double Doubles Animal Style are the balls. so good. haha
  • MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!!!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=174915&type=card
    OMFG MARRY ME.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

My point is, if fast food is making up a small portion of your diet, any of the effects he listed, even if true, would have a negligible overall effect.

fast food is just an example. but the above effects happen with any refined and processed foods like the french bread you get at restaurants before your meal.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

That I can agree with. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I have just never been into fast food. Maybe when hungover, but that's it! I am occasionally willing to lower my food standards for some Taco Bell though!
  • kalford49
    kalford49 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, ma'am. I work at McDonald's and I was wondering what you eat for breakfast (if anything) at your restaurant? I work mornings so I usually just get a Sausage McMuffin, apple slices, and water.
  • a59feline
    Options
    3 of my meals druing the past 2 days have been from fast food drive-throughs. I'll keep your post in mind to prevent me from driving through today. Thanx!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

fast food is just an example. but the above effects happen with any refined and processed foods like the french bread you get at restaurants before your meal.

How is "energy loss" measured? Are you saying that it takes more calories to digest food that isn't nutrient dense?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hi, ma'am. I work at McDonald's and I was wondering what you eat for breakfast (if anything) at your restaurant? I work mornings so I usually just get a Sausage McMuffin, apple slices, and water.

If you get the apple slices at McDonald..are they still bad for you because you got them at a fast food place? I mean..according to the coach...Fast food isn't "real food"...just just curious.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

How is "energy loss" measured? Are you saying that it takes more calories to digest food that isn't nutrient dense?

If that were true, I'd eat more fast food to since it takes more energy to convert. So basically, fast food is like a "negative food" then, right?

(Just in case someone didn't "sense" it..I'm being sarcastic_
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

If that were true, I'd eat more fast food to since it takes more energy to convert. So basically, fast food is like a "negative food" then, right?

sounds legit
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone keep trying to take cheeseburgers away from me? :sad: :sad: :sad:

I know, right???? :frown:

I *totally* get the point of the article, and it's worth reading. But once in a while I need a little something fast and "bad for me" just to keep me sane. If I thought of food as merely fuel and fuel alone, why go on living?