An Argument Against Fast Food

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

He's had BK, Subway, Panera and Dominoes too. So that's why I'm now confused as to exactly what the point of him posting an Argument Against Fast Food was....

guilt, possibly?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Fast food in general is bad for you. it's not natural . I don't care if you like it or can lose weight while eating it. It's bad for you. Fry a chicken and it's way less healthy then baked. Can't dispute that. Throw out all the links and all the people who lost weight while eating it stories you want. Fast food is not healthy. Most of it is pre-packaged, per made, full of filler and chemicals barely grade edible food. Are there better choices then others at fast food places? sure. that doesn't make them inherently healthy. the first things doctors will tell you when embarking on a journey towards health is to cut fatty greasy sugar laden foods from your diet and to eat fruit vegetable and real meat. Mine did. I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise? I drink beer, but i'm not going to come on here and argue the "healthy" merits of beer. It's not healthy. I drink it because I want to. End of story. It's way better for me then fast food, but it's by not means healthy and you won't get that argument from me. I also manage to lose weight and am getting back to health while still drinking it. Still not healthy. same concept.

The person who eats it once or twice a year will have no real effects from it, (well maybe in the long run depends what choices they make) that does not negate the fact that it's unhealthy and very bad for you! Eating it often will produce negative side affects in the long run. right. that means not today, not tomorrow., but in the future.. when your body is less equipped to handle it.

I get it.. everyone wants to defend their food choices, because they feel like when you make a statement such as this it is something against you, because you do said behavior. A fact is a fact, whether you want to accept it or not.

Well said and I also love beer but when I only ate fast food one or twice a year I could REALLY feel the effects of it. It was super-pronounced (instant loss of energy, lethargy, bloating, etc.) It's now that I eat crap more often that I feel the effects less, though in general I have grown used to feeling crappy.

Grown used to feeling crappy? That's why I stop eating certain foods.. I don't want to feel crappy at all, much less used to feeling that way. It's not normal. I love when I feel awake and alive and full of every. These food just make you lethargic and "crappy" then why eat them? It's easy? It won't be on 20 years! See.. if you're going to do something unhealthy.. don't complain about the consequences of that choice and there are going to be consequences sooner or later. This isn't new. I'm not picking on you btw. just commenting on that comment, because I hear it often, from friends of mine who don't eat right. It not ok because it's easy and you're busy. There are lots of truly healthy quick food choices you can make instead of BK or subway. You choose not to do it, then rationalize it in your own way to make it ok. Nothing more nothing less.
  • taso42
    Options
    Fast food in general is bad for you. it's not natural . I don't care if you like it or can lose weight while eating it. It's bad for you. Fry a chicken and it's way less healthy then baked. Can't dispute that. Throw out all the links and all the people who lost weight while eating it stories you want. Fast food is not healthy. Most of it is pre-packaged, per made, full of filler and chemicals barely grade edible food. Are there better choices then others at fast food places? sure. that doesn't make them inherently healthy. the first things doctors will tell you when embarking on a journey towards health is to cut fatty greasy sugar laden foods from your diet and to eat fruit vegetable and real meat. Mine did. I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise? I drink beer, but i'm not going to come on here and argue the "healthy" merits of beer. It's not healthy. I drink it because I want to. End of story. It's way better for me then fast food, but it's by not means healthy and you won't get that argument from me. I also manage to lose weight and am getting back to health while still drinking it. Still not healthy. same concept.

The person who eats it once or twice a year will have no real effects from it, (well maybe in the long run depends what choices they make) that does not negate the fact that it's unhealthy and very bad for you! Eating it often will produce negative side affects in the long run. right. that means not today, not tomorrow., but in the future.. when your body is less equipped to handle it.

I get it.. everyone wants to defend their food choices, because they feel like when you make a statement such as this it is something against you, because you do said behavior. A fact is a fact, whether you want to accept it or not.

Well said and I also love beer but when I only ate fast food one or twice a year I could REALLY feel the effects of it. It was super-pronounced (instant loss of energy, lethargy, bloating, etc.) It's now that I eat crap more often that I feel the effects less, though in general I have grown used to feeling crappy.

Grown used to feeling crappy? That's why I stop eating certain foods.. I don't want to feel crappy at all, much less used to feeling that way. It's not normal. I love when I feel awake and alive and full of every. These food just make you lethargic and "crappy" then why eat them? It's easy? It won't be on 20 years! See.. if you're going to do something unhealthy.. don't complain about the consequences of that choice and there are going to be consequences sooner or later. This isn't new. I'm not picking on you btw. just commenting on that comment, because I hear it often, from friends of mine who don't eat right. It not ok because it's easy and you're busy. There are lots of truly healthy quick food choices you can make instead of BK or subway. You choose not to do it, then rationalize it in your own way to make it ok. Nothing more nothing less.

Aside from the fact that you're several hours/days late to the discussion and are just throwing out baseless claims that have been refuted already upthread, you are in no position to talk as your food diary is atrocious.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I just want to point out that none of us on the opposing side thinks that eating healthier is wrong. We just think that you don't necessarily have to cut everything "bad" from your food choices. We believe that trying to go so extreme (especially right off the bat) leads to people quitting because they aren't used to it. We also think that trying to say you can't perform as well if you don't cut out all the fast food (which was said a few pages back) - is not true.

People can do what they want to do. What works for them. But to try to tell them they aren't doing it right...isn't good.
  • scriehl
    scriehl Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food once every 6-8 months to remind me on why I don't eat fast food anymore.

Yep! Haha...
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    He's had BK, Subway, Panera and Dominoes too. So that's why I'm now confused as to exactly what the point of him posting an Argument Against Fast Food was....

Exactly the point with the donut/Triscuits I was trying to make earlier..... (processed food) but your examples of actual fast food are excellent!

Coach, you sit here and preach on your "ELITE" (yes, a lot of us saw you use that word - AND remember it) - imaginary pedestal to refer to people such as yourself - saying how bad fast food is, yet you eat it yourself.

Hypocritical.

Instead of answering questions, you respond with defensive answers, or ignore the questions/direct comments to you completely, like you did in my last post. You referred to me "leaving" the thread being your preference instead of addressing my inquiry.

Then you argue with people about the definition of "moderation".....

Coach? Moderation? Can you define it please?

Are you in these threads to start fights? I mean .... seriously, dude....
  • juliedor
    juliedor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    People can do whatever they wish.I agree.But no one can say fast food isn't bad for you.That is an incorrect statement.It is high in saturated fats,sodium and sugars.It is not good food for your body.So long as you know that and make choices based on the facts.
  • taso42
    Options
    People can do whatever they wish.I agree.But no one can say fast food isn't bad for you.That is an incorrect statement.It is high in saturated fats,sodium and sugars.It is not good food for your body.

a steak and a glass of milk is high in sat fat, sodium, and sugar. so that's not good for your body?
    So long as you know that and make choices based on the facts.

yes, facts. the crux of this thread is that people confuse opinions and popular beliefs as facts.

"fast food is bad for you because it's fast food and it's bad for you."
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Of course you don't have to cut out everything bad from your diet., every one of us would fail and we'd all be eating only things we can grow ourselves, since that'd be the only way to reduce the GMO introduced into so many foods. i don't eat 100% healthy. I have Chinese food more often then I want, and have a weakness for chocolate and I do love melba toast and triscuits. I want to make my own soup, but I am no good at making broth. The point is there are way healthier choices then the ones many people make. Yep.. people are going to eat what they want. You don't have to cut out everything bad. You *should* cut out everything in the worst category.. and then severely limit that bad food. Fast food would fall into the worst category.
  • taso42
    Options
    Of course you don't have to cut out everything bad from your diet., every one of us would fail and we'd all be eating only things we can grow ourselves, since that'd be the only way to reduce the GMO introduced into so many foods. i don't eat 100% healthy. I have Chinese food more often then I want, and have a weakness for chocolate and I do love melba toast and triscuits. I want to make my own soup, but I am no good at making broth. The point is there are way healthier choices then the ones many people make. Yep.. people are going to eat what they want. You don't have to cut out everything bad. You *should* cut out everything in the worst category.. and then severely limit that bad food. Fast food would fall into the worst category.

oh really?
    fast food containing no trans fat is worse than, say, peanut butter that contains trans fat?

a fast food burger is worse than say a bag of potato chips?

you are once again ignoring context and dosage. bring something intelligent to the table, here on page 12 of epic fast food thread #2.... you're spouting out page 1 stuff.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    I'm was sure that it was implied that there is more then 1 food in the worst category. Next time I will point it out for those of us who need that sort of thing. My peanut butter has no trans fat.. I didn't know any had it.. lol
  • taso42
    Options
    I guess all the reasons fast food are "bad for you" are also implied. Care to spell it out for me? I need that sort of thing.

And I'm glad you buy the good peanut butter ;)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    I guess all the reasons fast food are "bad for you" are also implied. Care to spell it out for me? I need that sort of thing.

And I'm glad you buy the good peanut butter ;)

Just go to fastfoodingredients.com

Look at all those yummy chemicals and fake flavors.. then keep in mind that most of the stuff is fried and then topped with globs of stuff.

yea.. so good for you..
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    if you found BK in there you must have gone a long ways back. haven't eaten there in a long, long while.

went to panera the other day because my mom was in town and we were in midtown manhattan. she likes panera.

had a gluten free, dairy free pizza from dominos a couple weeks ago.

crucify me. :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Actually the OP seems to believe that any processed food (french bread) is a no-no. It's just another yawn-worthy clean eating pamphlet .

Well gee whillickers, maybe people keep talking about clean eating because it actually has some merit to it! Golly. I eat wheat bread instead of white, because if I'm going to have a sandwich, I'd rather have one that fills me up and gives me nutrients, rather than empty calories. How is this a difficult call? Obviously, everything in moderation, but why is everyone so eager to dismiss an advocate of eating healthy, unprocessed foods as "yawn-worthy"? This is why we're fat, people!! Lol.
    Wheat bread is clean, unprocessed food?

And I'm not fat.

And as far as "ohnoez, I might have a slightly longer marathon time if I ate fast food for the meal before I ran, and then I wouldn't be 1337," I don't really care, especially since I don't run marathons.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    if you found BK in there you must have gone a long ways back. haven't eaten there in a long, long while.

went to panera the other day because my mom was in town and we were in midtown manhattan. she likes panera.

Your diary (as far as I know) only goes to Jan. 2nd or 3rd I think. The BK was on the 9th.

Honestly, don't care what you eat..but if you are going to start pushing something...make sure you are following it.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    lol my diary is also full of a ton of whole foods. today wasn't perfect. look at yesterday. absolute perfection. :P

i've already said 90/10.

to set things straight. ONE donut and 7 crackers. I'd have thought that was a model of moderation for you fast-food junkies!

Lets talk some microbiology and chemistry.

1. The majority of the foods you eat are acidic
    2. You consume foods with yeast(such as multigrain breads)
    3. You consume foods with sugars.

Acidic foods aren't good for your cells. They will make you sick, lead to Mg(magnesium) and Ca(calcium) deficiencies. Your body buffers these acids in the blood stream with calcium from bone and magnesium from muscles. Yeast produces myo and exotoxins they live in the blood stream, their waste products is acidic as well. You know what they feed on? Sugar. You know what happens when the body gets too acidic and buffering systems get low? It will store it in the tissue which will cause disease. YOu should change your diet and stop killing yourself.

agree with the wheat stuff. eventually wanna wean myself off it.

i actually don't eat many acidic foods. I'm much more versed in this than you given that I need to eat a low-acid diet to control my reflux. i also drink highly alkaline water.

most of my sugars come from fruit. but yep - not perfect on this front yet either.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

What is that, like, a plate of meat and vegetables? O.o
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Your diary (as far as I know) only goes to Jan. 2nd or 3rd I think. The BK was on the 9th.

haha that's why i forgot about it. It was a veggie burger from a deli in NYC so I found something that would approximate the calories/nutrients.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

What is that, like, a plate of meat and vegetables? O.o

gluten free crust, sauce and veggies. vegan