An Argument Against Fast Food

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    read up to page 3, that was enough.

Was there an explanation as to what is "bad" about French bread?

just that it's not nutrient dense - just like fast food. again, doesn't mean you can't eat it. never said there's anything people can't eat. it's all personal preference. that's why it's crazy how defensive everyone is. lol

What if the rest of your day is and you have got you RDA for your vits and minerals already, or you have hit your protein and fat macros? Is it 'bad' then. Does it matter if it is not nutrient dense?

nope, then it doesn't really matter so much. like I've mentioned in other threads, I'm of the 90/10 mentality. 90 percent whole foods, 10 percent whatever you want to keep yourself happy and motivated.

however, government-set RDA's are kind of ridiculously low. you shouldn't really be basing it off that.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

i may at some point. however they probably just talk about how eating clean doesn't matter, right?

if someone WANTS to go the extra mile, they shouldn't be vilified for it. if you guys want the easy, quick fixes, then go for it! that's your choice! :)

Excuse me..I'm sorry....easy, quick fixes....seriously did you just... :explode: :mad:

arguing on behalf of fast food means you want to keep that in your diet. that's much easier than eliminating it no? even though you all know it's really not great for you?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Well I agree with this post! At my smallest I was eating 100% whole foods with an emphasis on stuff that was local. I probably consumed a lot more calories than I do now, but for some reason I was skinny and not fat. I never eat drive through but sometimes you just want that burger and onion rings. I guess that's okay sparingly but the more you eat it, the more you want it. And then the worst is when you get stressed out and cannot cook every day and lose your body to ****ty cafeteria salads and sandwiches while counting calories the entire time. The food is bad and it's not worth it, but it is there. Cooking the Whole Foods Way is an awesome book and a great way to start. I also live the Whole Foods Nutrition Cook Book but I have to say it's so hard to stick to those diets when you get stressed at work and can't cook every day. I live on a hobby farm and work full time and what was my lunch yesterday? It was organic crackers and laughing cow light wedges. I think everyone knows that when you put crap in your body you feel like crap but in the end, other things unfortunately take precedence.

It's totally ok sparingly! If you love your burger and onion rings you should eat them! once a month, once every two weeks, whatever keeps you going.

But thanks for the book suggestion! I'll check it out. Keep on doin' your thing! :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

i may at some point. however they probably just talk about how eating clean doesn't matter, right?

if someone WANTS to go the extra mile, they shouldn't be vilified for it. if you guys want the easy, quick fixes, then go for it! that's your choice! :)

Excuse me..I'm sorry....easy, quick fixes....seriously did you just... :explode: :mad:

arguing on behalf of fast food means you want to keep that in your diet. that's much easier than eliminating it no? even though you all know it's really not great for you?

Moderation is key. And to belittle mine or anyone else's success at teaching ourselves moderation and losing the weight, bettering not just our bodies but our lives just because you have this All or Nothing attitude is reprehensible. Really, it is. :mad:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Moderation is key. And to belittle mine or anyone else's success at teaching ourselves moderation and losing the weight, bettering not just our bodies but our lives just because you have this All or Nothing attitude is reprehensible. Really, it is. :mad:

I gotta be honest with you - ALL of your reactions to this post are just as reprehensible. There's literally NOTHING in that first post that invited this kind of venom from you and this posse of anti-clean eating fanatics.

I said that you can do what you want. I said if you enjoy something DON'T CUT IT OUT. I say those things over and over but you don't care. You ignore it. You flame anyway.

You're equally reprehensible, and if you keep pushing me like you guys have been, well sorry but every once in a while my response won't be so PC. Deal with it.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    One sec - wrong ones
    I'll wait! Furious Pete (the guy in one of your old links...) =/= Michael Phelps btw :\
    I remember seeing a Phelps interview on Jimmy Kimmel where he said it was a myth, but hey if you show me some interviews that say otherwise then I'll be happy to retract my statement.

I've found interviews from 2008 and 2012 that would both support and refute the 12,000 calorie diet of Michael Phelps - and from sources that "should" be fact checking their stuff.

So far, I've found figures from articles saying he eats 3,000, 4000 and 12,000.
    Here's his piece on 60 minutes after the Beijing Olympics.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ_LXsPFens
    10 minute mark is where he says he doesn't eat 12,000 calories.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I gotta be honest with you - ALL of your reactions to this post are just as reprehensible. There's literally NOTHING in that first post that invited this kind of venom from you and this posse of anti-clean eating fanatics.

I said that you can do what you want. I said if you enjoy something DON'T CUT IT OUT. I say those things over and over but you don't care. You ignore it. You flame anyway.

You're equally reprehensible, and if you keep pushing me like you guys have been, well sorry but every once in a while my response won't be so PC. Deal with it.

You wanted an argument. Most have tried to provide evidence and talk with you, but you just keep repeating yourself and provide no real discussion as to why you disagree. Just that you have a book to back you, so there.

In no way did anyone say fast food was the best choice. No one said that eating your way was "wrong" or didn't provide results or that it wasn't "worth it" or a "quick, easy fix".

Discussing something and providing opposing views is one thing, but looking down on people like you do is just a shame.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    d5cefaba_tumblr_m0z779Mcgl1rressco1_500_zps5af6233e.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Well, nice going not even bothering to click into them - way to show you are open minded and want to learn.

They are written by people who are extremely educated and highly respected in the field of nutrition...why don't you give it a go...you know...you might actually learn something.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Ironic post - you say you want to learn, I provide you with some links - you admit that cannot even be bothered to open, them let alone read them.
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    But sometimes, you just need a dirty cheeseburger.

I hear that:bigsmile:
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Well I agree with this post! At my smallest I was eating 100% whole foods with an emphasis on stuff that was local. I probably consumed a lot more calories than I do now, but for some reason I was skinny and not fat. I never eat drive through but sometimes you just want that burger and onion rings. I guess that's okay sparingly but the more you eat it, the more you want it. And then the worst is when you get stressed out and cannot cook every day and lose your body to ****ty cafeteria salads and sandwiches while counting calories the entire time. The food is bad and it's not worth it, but it is there. Cooking the Whole Foods Way is an awesome book and a great way to start. I also live the Whole Foods Nutrition Cook Book but I have to say it's so hard to stick to those diets when you get stressed at work and can't cook every day. I live on a hobby farm and work full time and what was my lunch yesterday? It was organic crackers and laughing cow light wedges. I think everyone knows that when you put crap in your body you feel like crap but in the end, other things unfortunately take precedence.

It's totally ok sparingly! If you love your burger and onion rings you should eat them! once a month, once every two weeks, whatever keeps you going.

But thanks for the book suggestion! I'll check it out. Keep on doin' your thing! :)

Well I'm not doing it now and that's the problem. On a whole foods diet I consistently awoke 20 minutes before my alarm was going to go off, felt like exercising, excelled at work and returned home feeling like I could accomplish something with the four hours ahead of me.

Now I hit the snooze button sometimes for an hour and a half before I wake up, I have trouble getting to bed, I never want to work out, my job stresses me to the point of just wanting to drink when the clock hits free time and I come home and need to "relax" and "get this off my chest."

There is a reason why people use the term "eating habits." People habitually eat similar foods every day and once a food is in your vocabulary (dietarily speaking) you'll probably use it a lot. When I was on a whole foods diet, if I went to the pub and got a burger and fries, I'd come home and pass out within 20 minutes of being here. I could really feel what crappy food did to my body. Now I just feel crappy all the time. I spent 3 years as a macrobiotic vegan. I know what diet is capable of. Diet is habit though, and it's REALLY HARD to break bad habits!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Ironic post - you say you want to learn, I provide you with some links - you admit that cannot even be bothered to open, them let alone read them.

lol i'm not going to just drop what i'm doing at this exact instant to read them, but if you'd lay off and stop acting so high and mighty I'd probably be likely to check them out a bit later. unfortunately your attitude doesn't make me want to give you that satisfaction frankly.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

There you go again. Assuming that fast food is bad for you, without context and dosage. You have yet to show that having fast food, in moderation and as part of an otherwise balanced and nutritiously dense diet, has any long term health issues.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Well I'm not doing it now and that's the problem. On a whole foods diet I consistently awoke 20 minutes before my alarm was going to go off, felt like exercising, excelled at work and returned home feeling like I could accomplish something with the four hours ahead of me.

Now I hit the snooze button sometimes for an hour and a half before I wake up, I have trouble getting to bed, I never want to work out, my job stresses me to the point of just wanting to drink when the clock hits free time and I come home and need to "relax" and "get this off my chest."

There is a reason why people use the term "eating habits." People habitually eat similar foods every day and once a food is in your vocabulary (dietarily speaking) you'll probably use it a lot. When I was on a whole foods diet, if I went to the pub and got a burger and fries, I'd come home and pass out within 20 minutes of being here. I could really feel what crappy food did to my body. Now I just feel crappy all the time. I spent 3 years as a macrobiotic vegan. I know what diet is capable of. Diet is habit though, and it's REALLY HARD to break bad habits!

I hear you. That's a really good point. How did you manage to get yourself into those good habits last time? It helps to just get rid of all the junk in the house so you don't have a choice but to eat better.

What I'm doing right now is this. When I'm home and I'm able to, I cook a bunch of healthy food so that I've got it available when I need it. Whenever I can control the foods I eat, I make sure they're really good for me. That said, when I'm out and about - grabbing a drink with friends, seeing a show, etc, etc, I'm not as hard on myself because I know how good I am the rest of the time.

I've got faith in you though. You did it once, you can absolutely do it again! :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

There you go again. Assuming that fast food is bad for you, without context and dosage. You have yet to show that having fast food, in moderation and as part of an otherwise balanced and nutritiously dense diet, has any long term health issues.

can you define for me "moderation"?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Moderation can be having it once a day to once a year.

Definition:
    The avoidance of excess or extremes
    The action of making something less extreme, intense, or violent.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

lol i'm not going to just drop what i'm doing at this exact instant to read them, but if you'd lay off and stop acting so high and mighty I'd probably be likely to check them out a bit later. unfortunately your attitude doesn't make me want to give you that satisfaction frankly.

I have asked you in other posts to please stop with the personal insults. I have made any to you, yet you continue with you insults (which I find highly ironic based on your complaint above)

If you are going to read them later - say that. You did not say that you were. You said you may read them while making assumptions. And stop being so dramatic.

I do not give a rats *kitten* whether you read them or not, but it does highlight your narrow minded outlook. I was trying to provide you with some information, as you say you want to learn, and yet all you do is insult me,
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Why does it matter - according to you ANY amount is bad.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    No one has ever suggested that a significant portion of your diet should be comprised of fast food.
    is made of straw.
    even if it's a small portion of your diet, the body still wastes energy trying to assimilate it. it's still a net loss in energy compared to the nutrient-dense alternative.
    so by that logic, your body uses more calories to process fast food, wouldn't that be a postive for people trying to lose weight?
    That would be like one of those anecdotal finding like the value of nuts in the nurses health study that nut companies like to cite...
    [/quote
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    I agree that fast food is not a good idea. I avoid it just because of the highly processed nature. I also limit it for my kids, but I was
    really confused by the quote that was used. Usually wasted energy means energy not used, not converted into fat or anything else.
    Like people who can eat anything and don't put on weight. It is because their bodies tend to "waste" the energy they are
    consuming.

In Australia we have categorized food into low or High GI foods. This sounds like what the article is referring to. Low GI...slow energy release foods such as brown rice, meats, veg etc. The body doesn't need as much energy to process them so they sustain
    you for longer. High GI foods like sugars and refined carbs use more energy to be processed by the body and therefore the
    increased use of energy use means you are hungrier earlier. A lot of people who can lose weight and sustain it on lower cals can
    do so because they eat low GI food..it sustains them longer so their calorie intake is lower but they are still receiving good nutrition.
    Athletes can eat both because they are training and competeing and constantly using energy (high GI food a burst of energy) but I
    guarantee that in their down time, they eat drastically different..less calories and lower GI.