An Argument Against Fast Food

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    CoachReddy - have you actually ever read any of the article and studies people have provided you in you 'quest for knowledge'?

Like this one:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

<snip>the metabolic response between the three meals was essentially identical. There were no differences in either insulin or blood glucose, the fatty acid profile makes perfect sense given the composition of the meals and blood lipids showed basically no change.<snip>
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    One sec - wrong ones
    I'll wait! Furious Pete (the guy in one of your old links...) =/= Michael Phelps btw :\
    I remember seeing a Phelps interview on Jimmy Kimmel where he said it was a myth, but hey if you show me some interviews that say otherwise then I'll be happy to retract my statement.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    CoachReddy - have you actually ever read any of the article and studies people have provided you in you 'quest for knowledge'?

Just waiting for it to be broken into smaller pieces, reiterated, rephrased, masticated and regurgitated into something digestible.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Attempting to force people to prove your baseless assertions wrong just so they do your research for you is pretty scummy.

you're silly. if HE makes a statement without supporting it, it's not MY job to do the research. lol

Please remember that you said this.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Like this one:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

<snip>the metabolic response between the three meals was essentially identical. There were no differences in either insulin or blood glucose, the fatty acid profile makes perfect sense given the composition of the meals and blood lipids showed basically no change.<snip>

that's literally the same one AnvilHead posted and yes I read it. It used 6 people. 6. and studied ONE meal. ONE.

that study has absolutely NO bearing on the long term effects of fast food consumption. <--- THAT is science.
    Now, the study does have a few limitations that I want to mention explicitly.
    The study only looked at a single meal. It’s entirely possible that a diet based completely around fast food would show different effects.
    The sample size was small: 6 overweight men and two women. It’s possible that differences would have shown up with more subjects. A related question is whether lean individuals would respond differently. Perhaps but I doubt it. As I discussed in The Influence of the Subjects’ Training State on the Glycemic Index, GI and insulin response are even less relevant in trained individuals.
    The only significant difference found in the study was that LDL cholesterol decreased more after both of the organic meals compared to the fast food meal
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    One sec - wrong ones
    I'll wait! Furious Pete (the guy in one of your old links...) =/= Michael Phelps btw :\
    I remember seeing a Phelps interview on Jimmy Kimmel where he said it was a myth, but hey if you show me some interviews that say otherwise then I'll be happy to retract my statement.

I've found interviews from 2008 and 2012 that would both support and refute the 12,000 calorie diet of Michael Phelps - and from sources that "should" be fact checking their stuff.

So far, I've found figures from articles saying he eats 3,000, 4000 and 12,000.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Like this one:

that's literally the same one AnvilHead posted and yes I read it. It used 6 people. 6. and studied ONE meal. ONE.

that study has absolutely NO bearing on the long term effects of fast food consumption. <--- THAT is science.
    The study only looked at a single meal. It’s entirely possible that a diet based completely around fast food would show different effects.
    The sample size was small: 6 overweight men and two women. It’s possible that differences would have shown up with more subjects. A related question is whether lean individuals would respond differently. Perhaps but I doubt it. As I discussed in The Influence of the Subjects’ Training State on the Glycemic Index, GI and insulin response are even less relevant in trained individuals.
    The only significant difference found in the study was that LDL cholesterol decreased more after both of the organic meals compared to the fast food meal

I posted more links - quite a while ago - you never responded.

And yes, I am aware of the limitations - they are called out in the article.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    One sec - wrong ones

I've found interviews from 2008 and 2012 that would both support and refute the 12,000 calorie diet of Michael Phelps - and from sources that "should" be fact checking their stuff.

i eat 3000 and i'm 5'7" and 132 pounds.

doubt he eats 3000 and exercises for however many hours a day. still... not really relevant. lol
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    read up to page 3, that was enough.

Was there an explanation as to what is "bad" about French bread?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Like this one:

I posted more links - quite a while ago - you never responded.

wait wait wait, that's your only response? so the study you just linked me to was flawed and had no bearing on the argument? that's what i'm waiting to hear.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    One sec - wrong ones

doubt he eats 3000 and exercises for however many hours a day. still... not really relevant. lol

How would that NOT be relevant? You stated that if you wanted to perform better - cut out the fast food. There are other athletes that eat fast food. So unless you are a pro-athlete, the only way to "better perform" is to cut the fast food is that right? I'm really trying to figure out who is exempt from your statement now.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    One sec - wrong ones

Links to the 2012 article where he states he eats 12,000 calories a day?

Here's another article from the Guardian supporting my claim (dated July 2012):
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/26/eat-like-olympian-exercise
  • CoachReddy
    Options

just that it's not nutrient dense - just like fast food. again, doesn't mean you can't eat it. never said there's anything people can't eat. it's all personal preference. that's why it's crazy how defensive everyone is. lol
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Well I agree with this post! At my smallest I was eating 100% whole foods with an emphasis on stuff that was local. I probably consumed a lot more calories than I do now, but for some reason I was skinny and not fat. I never eat drive through but sometimes you just want that burger and onion rings. I guess that's okay sparingly but the more you eat it, the more you want it. And then the worst is when you get stressed out and cannot cook every day and lose your body to ****ty cafeteria salads and sandwiches while counting calories the entire time. The food is bad and it's not worth it, but it is there. Cooking the Whole Foods Way is an awesome book and a great way to start. I also live the Whole Foods Nutrition Cook Book but I have to say it's so hard to stick to those diets when you get stressed at work and can't cook every day. I live on a hobby farm and work full time and what was my lunch yesterday? It was organic crackers and laughing cow light wedges. I think everyone knows that when you put crap in your body you feel like crap but in the end, other things unfortunately take precedence.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    One sec - wrong ones

How would that NOT be relevant? You stated that if you wanted to perform better - cut out the fast food. There are other athletes that eat fast food. So unless you are a pro-athlete, the only way to "better perform" is to cut the fast food is that right? I'm really trying to figure out who is exempt from your statement now.

honestly you and I have the same amount of knowledge when it comes to the eating habits of professional athletes, as I'm not one and neither are you. HOWEVER, the whole point of this thread was that I'm reading a book BY a professional athlete who says that in training as a teenager and a 20-something to become a professional athlete, the thing he noticed was that the difference between those who got all the way to the top and those who got mired down in the middle was diet. If you were more meticulous you had a greater advantage over someone who wasn't.

and again I'll mention that GENETICS play a huge role in this! Michael Phelps is genetically unique. He's not the norm. Even by athletic standards.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

just that it's not nutrient dense - just like fast food. again, doesn't mean you can't eat it. never said there's anything people can't eat. it's all personal preference. that's why it's crazy how defensive everyone is. lol

What if the rest of your day is and you have got you RDA for your vits and minerals already, or you have hit your protein and fat macros? Is it 'bad' then. Does it matter if it is not nutrient dense?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    One sec - wrong ones

honestly you and I have the same amount of knowledge when it comes to the eating habits of professional athletes, as I'm not one and neither are you. HOWEVER, the whole point of this thread was that I'm reading a book BY a professional athlete who says that in training as a teenager and a 20-something to become a professional athlete, the thing he noticed was that the difference between those who got all the way to the top and those who got mired down in the middle was diet. If you were more meticulous you had a greater advantage over someone who wasn't.

and again I'll mention that GENETICS play a huge role in this! Michael Phelps is genetically unique. He's not the norm. Even by athletic standards.

And what about the other athletes? Are they all genetically blessed?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

i may at some point. however they probably just talk about how eating clean doesn't matter, right?

if someone WANTS to go the extra mile, they shouldn't be vilified for it. if you guys want the easy, quick fixes, then go for it! that's your choice! :)
  • PikaKnight
    Options

i may at some point. however they probably just talk about how eating clean doesn't matter, right?

if someone WANTS to go the extra mile, they shouldn't be vilified for it. if you guys want the easy, quick fixes, then go for it! that's your choice! :)

Excuse me..I'm sorry....easy, quick fixes....seriously did you just... :explode: :mad: