• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=174915&type=card

I must have this.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    After "vegan" all I saw was "blah, blah, blah" quote box "blah b-b-b-blahhhhhh." End quote box. Then I had a day dream about chick fil a tenders.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    No one has ever suggested that a significant portion of your diet should be comprised of fast food.

Strawman is made of straw.

I mean this respectfully, but that would make more sense if at any point he claimed that anyone did say that.
    It seems that maybe it's another reason to keep that food out of your diet if you so desire.

My point is, if fast food is making up a small portion of your diet, any of the effects he listed, even if true, would have a negligible overall effect.

fast food is just an example. but the above effects happen with any refined and processed foods like the french bread you get at restaurants before your meal.

How is "energy loss" measured? Are you saying that it takes more calories to digest food that isn't nutrient dense?
    People who eat a standard North American diet, one that includes many processed foods, burn a significant amound of energy digesting it. Similar to an incandescent light bulb that throws off heat inadvertently when producing light, the substantial amount of heat created and expelled during digestion translates into a significant net energy loss. Bodies that constantly operate at a high temperature are simply not operating efficiently. Energy used digesting the food is turned into heat that is then expelled into the environment. As heat escapes the body, so does energy. Had energy not been lost through this process it might have been used as fuel for other body functions or fabrication of new cellular tissue. By eating more net-gain foods, you will notice your body temperature drop because it doesn't need to burn so hot.

I'll give you an example. Two runners, equally trained, equally talented running side by side. One has a slightly higher body temperature due to processed food intake. The other has a slightly lower body temperature due to eating more net-gain, nutrient dense foods. The runner with the lower core temperature will be able to run faster and further, because their body temperature window is more open than the runner who already STARTS at a higher temp. It takes the cold runner longer to get overheated, exhausted, and burnt out.

Does that make sense?
  • jack3Dav3
    jack3Dav3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    No one has ever suggested that a significant portion of your diet should be comprised of fast food.

even if it's a small portion of your diet, the body still wastes energy trying to assimilate it. it's still a net loss in energy compared to the nutrient-dense alternative.

so by that logic, your body uses more calories to process fast food, wouldn't that be a postive for people trying to lose weight? That would be like one of those anecdotal finding like the value of nuts in the nurses health study that nut companies like to cite...

i'm not primarily talking about weight loss. if weight loss is the ONLY concern you have, and you care more about how your body looks on the outside than how it operates on the inside, you can absolutely eat fast food and lose weight.

I even mentioned that in my initial post. I'm talking about things beyond pure weight loss here.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, so the "elite" attributes you were referring to were your internal organs processing ability. That makes much more sense.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

I mean this respectfully, but that would make more sense if at any point he claimed that anyone did say that.
    It seems that maybe it's another reason to keep that food out of your diet if you so desire.

My point is, if fast food is making up a small portion of your diet, any of the effects he listed, even if true, would have a negligible overall effect.

fast food is just an example. but the above effects happen with any refined and processed foods like the french bread you get at restaurants before your meal.

Wait, this thread is "an argument against fast food". So either you're guilty of false advertising or you need to start another thread for "arguments against french bread".
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Finally, someone has the stones to come out and take the controversial stand that fast food might not be the healthiest choice. :yawn:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

How is "energy loss" measured? Are you saying that it takes more calories to digest food that isn't nutrient dense?

Ohhh, would that make fast food a zero calorie food?
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food once every 6-8 months to remind me on why I don't eat fast food anymore.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=174915&type=card

I must have this.

Exactly! Dude, don't you ever get tired of grinding the axe on useless stuff. Anyone with a lick of common sense knows not to make a substantial part of thier intake fast food. If you want to argue about something with such diminshing returns than you are a time wating fool.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Finally, someone has the stones to come out and take the controversial stand that fast food might not be the healthiest choice. :yawn:

haha apparently according to this board it's quite controversial!

simply thought it was a different way of looking at it that I hadn't heard before - and makes a ton of sense.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Just why is everyone so eager to troll a post that actually goes in-depth about how fast food is essentially wasted calories? It makes sense, and to those making snarky comments, OP was very polite in his presentation and didn't say anything judgmental about those who choose to eat fast food. You're all very keen to protect your gluttonous instincts, aren't you?

Obviously a burger and fries every once in a while won't kill you. And obviously all food served at fast food restaurants is not the "fast food" that OP is referencing, although one shouldn't go into a McDonald's expecting to find a satisfying low-calorie and low-fat meal that's made from whole, unprocessed foods.

But the POINT being made here is that if you eat a burger and fries, you're robbing your body of energy, energy you could have if you ate better foods instead. That's all. Hence the bloated, sluggish feeling you get after eating at Mickey D's or any other place. OP is not insisting that everyone give up fast food for good. So stop jumping on the troll bandwagon and actually read the posts next time, k?
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Over a week ago I started juicing and cutting out processed foods and I'm amazed at how my appetite has shrank and my energy has grown! I honestly feel that since I have put a larger focus on the nutritional value of my food rather than the caloric value of my food that I'm not as hungry. I'd heard that your body signals hunger because of nutritional starvation, not necessarily caloric starvation and I'm a total believer now. I agree with the OP, but I'd go further than fast food and say that processed food should be minimized as well.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

People who eat a standard North American diet, one that includes many processed foods, burn a significant amound of energy digesting it. Similar to an incandescent light bulb that throws off heat inadvertently when producing light, the substantial amount of heat created and expelled during digestion translates into a significant net energy loss. Bodies that constantly operate at a high temperature are simply not operating efficiently. Energy used digesting the food is turned into heat that is then expelled into the environment. As heat escapes the body, so does energy. Had energy not been lost through this process it might have been used as fuel for other body functions or fabrication of new cellular tissue. By eating more net-gain foods, you will notice your body temperature drop because it doesn't need to burn so hot.

I'll give you an example. Two runners, equally trained, equally talented running side by side. One has a slightly higher body temperature due to processed food intake. The other has a slightly lower body temperature due to eating more net-gain, nutrient dense foods. The runner with the lower core temperature will be able to run faster and further, because their body temperature window is more open than the runner who already STARTS at a higher temp. It takes the cold runner longer to get overheated, exhausted, and burnt out.

Does that make sense?

This would make sense to me if I didn't know elite athletes. I'm short an have average natural swimming but I grew up with elite swimmers (married one actually) and I can tell you they are not as concerned with this as they are with how much money they have to buy crap off the dollar menu and what time cece's opens.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Just why is everyone so eager to troll a post that actually goes in-depth about how fast food is essentially wasted calories? It makes sense, and to those making snarky comments, OP was very polite in his presentation and didn't say anything judgmental about those who choose to eat fast food. You're all very keen to protect your gluttonous instincts, aren't you?

Obviously a burger and fries every once in a while won't kill you. And obviously all food served at fast food restaurants is not the "fast food" that OP is referencing, although one shouldn't go into a McDonald's expecting to find a satisfying low-calorie and low-fat meal that's made from whole, unprocessed foods.

But the POINT being made here is that if you eat a burger and fries, you're robbing your body of energy, energy you could have if you ate better foods instead. That's all. Hence the bloated, sluggish feeling you get after eating at Mickey D's or any other place. OP is not insisting that everyone give up fast food for good. So stop jumping on the troll bandwagon and actually read the posts next time, k?

Actually the OP seems to believe that any processed food (french bread) is a no-no. It's just another yawn-worthy clean eating pamphlet .
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

You missed his previous posts and his refusal to consider published, peer reviewed scientific articles as refutation of his drivel. Well that and I'm feeling oh so sluggish from the Taco Bell I ate last night.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, most foods in the average North American's diet require almost as much energy to assimilate as they contain, because while they are high in calories, they are low in nutrients.

Essentially the point is this: because fast food is not nutritionally dense, your body has to work harder to get fewer nutrients, which is a WASTE of energy. Energy that could otherwise be used on anything from recovery - which would allow you to train harder and more often - to mental energy, to just feeling better in your day to day life.

Both of these ideas are false. But let's imagine to a minute that the average NA diet DID require almost as much energy to assimilate as they contain....
    Imagine a nation of undernourished, underfed people. On the average.

Basic idea just doesn't hold water.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

appreciate it! :smile:
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Actually the OP seems to believe that any processed food (french bread) is a no-no. It's just another yawn-worthy clean eating pamphlet .

Well gee whillickers, maybe people keep talking about clean eating because it actually has some merit to it! Golly. I eat wheat bread instead of white, because if I'm going to have a sandwich, I'd rather have one that fills me up and gives me nutrients, rather than empty calories. How is this a difficult call? Obviously, everything in moderation, but why is everyone so eager to dismiss an advocate of eating healthy, unprocessed foods as "yawn-worthy"? This is why we're fat, people!! Lol.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Over a week ago I started juicing and cutting out processed foods and I'm amazed at how my appetite has shrank and my energy has grown! I honestly feel that since I have put a larger focus on the nutritional value of my food rather than the caloric value of my food that I'm not as hungry. I'd heard that your body signals hunger because of nutritional starvation, not necessarily caloric starvation and I'm a total believer now. I agree with the OP, but I'd go further than fast food and say that processed food should be minimized as well.

haha you see how much they're already jumping on me. can you imagine if i suggested they go even FURTHER? :wink:
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, but as you can see some people just don't want to know. These forums are shark infested.