7 Side effects of Sodas

Options
I found this floating around on my facebook and I thought I would share for the ones that hasn't seen it or even knew about these side effects. I'm sure there's more to this then the 7. I've changed my mind about drinking all sodas period.

550684_584802154867111_1117527469_n.jpg

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally I had my first coke last week in years, I guess I should go see a Doctor immediately. :sad:
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've seriously cut my pop consumption down to maybe once a week, and if possible I choose a sugar-sweetened over a corn syrup sweetened. I've always gone with coke over pepsi, but after reading some of the unusual uses for coca cola, I've really thought twice before drinking that cola. Just some Ive read are: killing bugs, cleaning grease stains from clothing, removing black film from pots & pans, removing skunk odor, cleaning windows, and de-rusting metal
  • Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options
    If I stopped eating and drinking everything that supposedly causes cancer, I would starve to death. Most of the aspartame studies, btw, used HUGE amounts of the stuff. You would have to drink several liters every single day to get that much.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...but after reading some of the unusual uses for coca cola, I've really thought twice before drinking that cola. Just some Ive read are: killing bugs, cleaning grease stains from clothing, removing black film from pots & pans, removing skunk odor, cleaning windows, and de-rusting metal
    But did you know that they use water as a lubricant/agent in nuclear reactors? It's also used to wash cars, remove stains from clothing, decontaminate certain hazardous materials, flush toilets and clean windows as well. Fish and some mammals mate in it. It makes metal rust and has been known to kill people. Also, the two elements present in water are hydrogen (which was used to construct hydrogen bombs) and oxygen (which is explosive, and also when combined with carbon, forms the deadly gas carbon monoxide). If one, teeny little oxygen atom is added to water it becomes hydrogen peroxide, which is a strong oxidizer and is also used as a propellant in rocketry. Water is dangerous stuff. Don't know why it's so strongly recommended that everybody drink it.

As far as sodas go, it's good to consider dosage and context (as is the case with most any food/drink). A soda once in a while isn't going to hurt anything. Drinking a six-pack a day is a different matter.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    ...but after reading some of the unusual uses for coca cola, I've really thought twice before drinking that cola. Just some Ive read are: killing bugs, cleaning grease stains from clothing, removing black film from pots & pans, removing skunk odor, cleaning windows, and de-rusting metal
    But did you know that they use water as a lubricant/agent in nuclear reactors? It's also used to wash cars, remove stains from clothing, decontaminate certain hazardous materials, flush toilets and clean windows as well. Fish and some mammals mate in it. It makes metal rust and has been known to kill people. Also, the two elements present in water are hydrogen (which was used to construct hydrogen bombs) and oxygen (which is explosive, and also when combined with carbon, forms the deadly gas carbon monoxide). If one, teeny little oxygen atom is added to water it becomes hydrogen peroxide, which is a strong oxidizer and is also used as a propellant in rocketry. Water is dangerous stuff. Don't know why it's so strongly recommended that everybody drink it.

As far as sodas go, it's good to consider dosage and context (as is the case with most any food/drink). A soda once in a while isn't going to hurt anything. Drinking a six-pack a day is a different matter.

LOL> Love it. I agree that soda is probably a little stronger than water in its negative effects (though water WILL CAUSE the rust that the COKE will remove... )>>>>
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    More false propaganda from organic only groups.

The worst side effects from soda (whether regular or diet) happen from over consumption (more than a 6 pack a day). One a day HASN'T been proven to cause health issues to the majority of the general public.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Everyone always has to defend the worst stuff, for whatever reason. Soda is digusting sweet chemicals, that is all it is. If people want to try to compare it to plain water...well, let them. Anyone with a brain can reason that soda is not, CAN not, and never will be good for you. Look at the list of ingredients and try to say all that isn't doing something negative to your body.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP, I know you mean well, but that is the usual fear mongering with no basis in science to support it and/or statements totally made out of context.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Everyone always has to defend the worst stuff, for whatever reason. Soda is digusting sweet chemicals, that is all it is. If people want to try to compare it to plain water...well, let them. Anyone with a brain can reason that soda is not, CAN not, and never will be good for you. Look at the list of ingredients and try to say all that isn't doing something negative to your body.

Like what?
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    It's not about defending the worst stuff, it's about pulling people up when they make rubbish claims backed by no scientific evidence.

Anyone could make a picture like the above about anything. It doesn't make it true.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Anyone with a brain would objectively research actual science on the cause and effect of soda/diet soda. Do you even know what's in a can of soda? If you do, then you'll find them is many things we eat and even in "nature".

IDEA Fitness member
  • maryd523
    Options

Like what?

You can't be serious.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Like what?

You can't be serious.

Yes I am. Please tell us what the ingredients are and what is doing something bad to your body?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The only side affect of drinking soda that I care about it that it makes me happy. :drinker:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I found this floating around on my facebook and I thought I would share for the ones that hasn't seen it or even knew about these side effects. I'm sure there's more to this then the 7. I've changed my mind about drinking all sodas period.

550684_584802154867111_1117527469_n.jpg
    All of these are pretty much false, or greatly over exaggerated. As for the food dyes, there's no scientific evidence of them causing any of the problems mentioned there.

Benzene is found in much higher concentrations in most drinking water than in soda.

Apples have about 10 times the concentration of formaldehyde than diet soda.

Most fruits are highly acidic and do tremendous damage to tooth enamel and can rot your teeth. Of course, that's only if you don't brush your teeth. .

Phosphoric acid doesn't weaken bones, science has never been able to show that.

As for HFCS, it's sugar. Regular sugar is 50/50 glucose/fructose. HFCS is 41/55/4 glucose/fructose/maltose (double glucose.) As far as the digestive system is concerned, they are identical. And they only create triglycerides in the event of a calorie surplus. Which, incidentally, you would have the same exact response from eating a caloric surplus of fruit.

There's nothing wrong with drinking soda in moderation, as long as you are mindful of your entire diet.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Like what?

You can't be serious.
    This by a person who believes DAIRY has no benefits for the body.

IDEA Fitness member
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    Soda is a food just like any other food. Are there better choices you could make? Of course there is. Just like candy, cake, ice cream and the double scoop extra cream coffee. There is always a better choice, but that does not mean you can never partake of a food you enjoy. Just use reason and common sense.

If someone cares about their health then i do not believe they would be drinking enough soda to affect their daily macro/micro goals. Every food is fine people. Moderation. Don't make things more complicated than they have to be.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING has 7 or more side effects even water ... LOL
  • maryd523
    Options

Like what?

You can't be serious.
    This by a person who believes DAIRY has no benefits for the body.

IDEA Fitness member

I was going to say, you probably think dairy is good for you, too. A bodly fluid produced by cows for their newborn offspring...yet YOU think that human adults somehow need this for their own nutrition.

I would love to debate this more, but I am tired and going to head to bed. Besides, you want to believe a sugary, artifical, lab-produced, acidic beverage isn't harmful to you, I am probably not going to change your mind.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    , I am probably not going to change your mind.

Well, when you refuse to post any scientific sources to support your position you're not going to change anyone's mind.