7 Side effects of Sodas

Options

Replies

• chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Eh...I don't drink soda anymore, because I don't want to drink soda. That's all. Anything in moderation is fine. Choose to drink it or not, for whatever reasons you see fit, same as anything else you put in your body, and leave everyone else alone.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Oh....YEAH!! Medications are SO healthy for you. Um, have you ever looked at the list of side effects?? Usually it takes up an entire page in a magazine, small print. And how many things have passed FDA inspection only to be revealed later how incredibly dangerous and harmful they actually are? Seriously, where are you people saying these things coming from??
    My husband is a type 1 diabetic. Without medication, he would be DEAD.
    Instead of spouting alarmist nonsense, please take a little time to develop some critical thinking skills.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Key bit for me is the rots teeth, last year I had 2 removed, 3 fillings and 1 root canal ...
    my dentist asked if i knew why ...
    I said not looking after my teeth well enough
    "no not at all, it will be poor diet, too many sweets and fizzy drinks"
    So now I've given them up, I never want to be in that much pain ever again!
    x
    Sugars and such in nearly everything will do bad things to your teeth if left on them long enough. My dentist recommends drinking soda in short bouts (rather than slowly throughout the day) along with other sugary substances.

There are plenty of things in diets that aren't optimal for health but we consume for pleasure anyways. As long as it's in moderate qualities it can be part of a "balanced" diet.
  • kas1025
    kas1025 Posts: 26
    Options
    lol..oh wow, I knew once I posted this that it would be a battle like every thing is on MFP. I'm just stating that soda is bad for me. Am I saying that its bad for everyone, no. I drink way to much of it and thats why I'm stopping. Anything that gets posted up here, there is always someone that finds something wrong with it, just let people have their own thoughts about things and go along with your own way.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Come on....I think we can all agree that sodas just aren't good for you.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    lol..oh wow, I knew once I posted this that it would be a battle like every thing is on MFP. I'm just stating that soda is bad for me. Am I saying that its bad for everyone, no. I drink way to much of it and thats why I'm stopping. Anything that gets posted up here, there is always someone that finds something wrong with it, just let people have their own thoughts about things and go along with your own way.

You didn't just post that drinking soda is bad for you. You posted that drinking soda will give you cancer and osteoporosis and cause all your teeth to fall out. You posted that drinking soda is like drinking a mix of formaldehyde and gasoline.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    You didn't just post that drinking soda is bad for you. You posted that drinking soda will give you cancer and osteoporosis and cause all your teeth to fall out. You posted that drinking soda is like drinking a mix of formaldehyde and gasoline.

But I saw Sherlock Holmes! If I drink enough embalming fluid I can be like him and bang Rachel McAdams!
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! Never viewed in this perspective before! Interesting and real!

...but after reading some of the unusual uses for coca cola, I've really thought twice before drinking that cola. Just some Ive read are: killing bugs, cleaning grease stains from clothing, removing black film from pots & pans, removing skunk odor, cleaning windows, and de-rusting metal
    But did you know that they use water as a lubricant/agent in nuclear reactors? It's also used to wash cars, remove stains from clothing, decontaminate certain hazardous materials, flush toilets and clean windows as well. Fish and some mammals mate in it. It makes metal rust and has been known to kill people. Also, the two elements present in water are hydrogen (which was used to construct hydrogen bombs) and oxygen (which is explosive, and also when combined with carbon, forms the deadly gas carbon monoxide). If one, teeny little oxygen atom is added to water it becomes hydrogen peroxide, which is a strong oxidizer and is also used as a propellant in rocketry. Water is dangerous stuff. Don't know why it's so strongly recommended that everybody drink it.

As far as sodas go, it's good to consider dosage and context (as is the case with most any food/drink). A soda once in a while isn't going to hurt anything. Drinking a six-pack a day is a different matter.

LOL> Love it. I agree that soda is probably a little stronger than water in its negative effects (though water WILL CAUSE the rust that the COKE will remove... )>>>>
    [/quote]
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I've seriously cut my pop consumption down to maybe once a week, and if possible I choose a sugar-sweetened over a corn syrup sweetened. I've always gone with coke over pepsi, but after reading some of the unusual uses for coca cola, I've really thought twice before drinking that cola. Just some Ive read are: killing bugs, cleaning grease stains from clothing, removing black film from pots & pans, removing skunk odor, cleaning windows, and de-rusting metal
    Also eats away the fuzzy buildup on car battery terminals...
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Bump. I want to read those studies about how bad milk is.

And yeah, medicine has possible side effects. They don't happen to everyone. My husband is on medicine that has a possible side effect if brain cancer. But with no medicine he'd be in a wheelchair, unable to feel his arms and legs. The last time he skipped a dose he got 3 new brain lesions.
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have never cared for soda and I am glad.....
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've seriously cut my pop consumption down to maybe once a week, and if possible I choose a sugar-sweetened over a corn syrup sweetened. I've always gone with coke over pepsi, but after reading some of the unusual uses for coca cola, I've really thought twice before drinking that cola. Just some Ive read are: killing bugs, cleaning grease stains from clothing, removing black film from pots & pans, removing skunk odor, cleaning windows, and de-rusting metal
    Also eats away the fuzzy buildup on car battery terminals...
    Nasty!!!
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    ...but after reading some of the unusual uses for coca cola, I've really thought twice before drinking that cola. Just some Ive read are: killing bugs, cleaning grease stains from clothing, removing black film from pots & pans, removing skunk odor, cleaning windows, and de-rusting metal
    But did you know that they use water as a lubricant/agent in nuclear reactors? It's also used to wash cars, remove stains from clothing, decontaminate certain hazardous materials, flush toilets and clean windows as well. Fish and some mammals mate in it. It makes metal rust and has been known to kill people. Also, the two elements present in water are hydrogen (which was used to construct hydrogen bombs) and oxygen (which is explosive, and also when combined with carbon, forms the deadly gas carbon monoxide). If one, teeny little oxygen atom is added to water it becomes hydrogen peroxide, which is a strong oxidizer and is also used as a propellant in rocketry. Water is dangerous stuff. Don't know why it's so strongly recommended that everybody drink it.

As far as sodas go, it's good to consider dosage and context (as is the case with most any food/drink). A soda once in a while isn't going to hurt anything. Drinking a six-pack a day is a different matter.

LOL> Love it. I agree that soda is probably a little stronger than water in its negative effects (though water WILL CAUSE the rust that the COKE will remove... )>>>>
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i tried to copy the quote about the water but it only reposted what was already there and didnt let me put anything in but i love it as for soda im not giving up my diet dr pepper for anyone or anything and if you had been around me when i go past noon without caffine you would be rushing to the store to buy me one lol :laugh:
  • McGruber03
    Options
    Cracking UP right now! This sure has been fun to watch. I hope it keeps going. And let's add another topic. Those crazy Type 1 diabetics are constantly sticking needles full of SYNTHETIC insulin into their bodies! What are they thinking?! It was made in a lab! It is not found in nature! (I SO hope everyone knows this is sarcasm, but I wanted to clarify in case we have any Sheldons out there).

255405_10151085507908119_1873104569_n.jpg

I'm not gonna drink water either, sounds too dangerous! :noway:
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Well, shoot. Water is bad for me, soda is bad for me, guess I'll just switch to beer and wine. Those at least have some antioxidents...
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Well, shoot. Water is bad for me, soda is bad for me, guess I'll just switch to beer and wine. Those at least have some antioxidents...
    Plus the added benefit of dulling the pain from reading the MFP forums! :wink:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in seeing the research. I hope it gets posted soon. Doesn't seem fair to have important information like that and keep it to yourself!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Nooooooooooo!!!!!! Step away from the beer. It contains water. :noway:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Nothing but grain alcohol and rainwater for me.