• BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'll just stick to breastmilk.

Share?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Your body makes more formaldehyde from eating one banana than it does from a six pack of Coke.

I guess we should ban bananas as carcinogens.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Your body makes more formaldehyde from eating one banana than it does from a six pack of Coke.

I guess we should ban bananas as carcinogens.

And sugar. Banana sugar=instant death and obesity as well as type 1 and 2 diabeetus (maybe type 3 also). Probably osteoporosis and rheumatic fever as well.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    ...but after reading some of the unusual uses for coca cola, I've really thought twice before drinking that cola. Just some Ive read are: killing bugs, cleaning grease stains from clothing, removing black film from pots & pans, removing skunk odor, cleaning windows, and de-rusting metal
    But did you know that they use water as a lubricant/agent in nuclear reactors? It's also used to wash cars, remove stains from clothing, decontaminate certain hazardous materials, flush toilets and clean windows as well. Fish and some mammals mate in it. It makes metal rust and has been known to kill people. Also, the two elements present in water are hydrogen (which was used to construct hydrogen bombs) and oxygen (which is explosive, and also when combined with carbon, forms the deadly gas carbon monoxide). If one, teeny little oxygen atom is added to water it becomes hydrogen peroxide, which is a strong oxidizer and is also used as a propellant in rocketry. Water is dangerous stuff. Don't know why it's so strongly recommended that everybody drink it.

As far as sodas go, it's good to consider dosage and context (as is the case with most any food/drink). A soda once in a while isn't going to hurt anything. Drinking a six-pack a day is a different matter.

LOL> Love it. I agree that soda is probably a little stronger than water in its negative effects (though water WILL CAUSE the rust that the COKE will remove... )>>>>

^^ love these arguments lol:drinker:
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    , I am probably not going to change your mind.

Well, when you refuse to post any scientific sources to support your position you're not going to change anyone's mind.

Why do I have to do everyone's work for them? Even if I did post studies, people would still find reasons to combat them. I think people need to do their OWN research. What makes sense here?? I am not going to go to the trouble of finding a bunch of peer-reviewed, recent studies to dispute what you already firmly believe, for no good reasons. If someone has no common sense (and believing that soda isn't bad for you displays an alarming lack of common sense), then I am not going to waste my time trying to convince you otherwise.

You're right; people probably would argue and post contradictory studies.. It's called debating...
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Soda is a food just like any other food. Are there better choices you could make? Of course there is. Just like candy, cake, ice cream and the double scoop extra cream coffee. There is always a better choice, but that does not mean you can never partake of a food you enjoy. Just use reason and common sense.

BAM.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    WTF. Soda is bad don't drink it. End of story people. :drinker:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    WTF. Soda isn't bad, drink it. End of story people. :drinker:
    Fixed that for you. :drinker:
  • bannajo
    Options
    The person who thinks milk is not good for us?? Really? Do you know why bovine produce this milk? Because it is packed with vitamins, mineral, calcium and vitamin D. Not to mention it sustains very vulnerable young calves for months, keeping their immune system healthy and allowing them to grow.

I didn't think there was this kind of ignorance on MFP. My mind has been changed.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    for what it's worth, i'm pretty bad about buying into hype that i see/hear on TV/the internet and i've tried to stop drinking soda because of the purported bad side effects. i have heard that they've found definitive proof that the coloring in dark sodas causes cancer, but i don't have a link to any articles or anything. i also know that people with kidney problems are told to stay away from dark sodas because they can cause kidney stones. as it is, now that i'm not guzzling soda ever day, when i *do* have it i end up just feeling worse more often than not. i've noticed particular, unpleasant things it does to my body and i'm trying to treat myself better.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I didn't think there was this kind of ignorance on MFP. My mind has been changed.

Hi! You must be new here. Enjoy your stay. :)
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    The main reason not to drink pop is that it contains most of the sugar you need for a day in it.

Sugar isn't intrinsically bad for you, but consuming a lot of it makes you fat and the whole bias of this place is towards weightloss, no?
  • Victœria
    Victœria Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I heard on the news this week that there is a link between drinking soda and depression!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Hi! You must be new here. Enjoy your stay. :)
    SS will be your guide.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Everyone always has to defend the worst stuff, for whatever reason. Soda is digusting sweet chemicals, that is all it is. If people want to try to compare it to plain water...well, let them. Anyone with a brain can reason that soda is not, CAN not, and never will be good for you. Look at the list of ingredients and try to say all that isn't doing something negative to your body.

Like what?

You can't be serious.
    This by a person who believes DAIRY has no benefits for the body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I was going to say, you probably think dairy is good for you, too. A bodly fluid produced by cows for their newborn offspring...yet YOU think that human adults somehow need this for their own nutrition.

I would love to debate this more, but I am tired and going to head to bed. Besides, you want to believe a sugary, artifical, lab-produced, acidic beverage isn't harmful to you, I am probably not going to change your mind.
    Well, human breast milk is not yet produced on a commercial scale, so . . .

Fruit is also acidic and sugary.

A lot of healthy stuff is artificial and lab-produced. Medications, for example. Dietary supplements. Not to mention that all of this stuff is tested to make sure that it is safe for human consumption.

Oh....YEAH!! Medications are SO healthy for you. Um, have you ever looked at the list of side effects?? Usually it takes up an entire page in a magazine, small print. And how many things have passed FDA inspection only to be revealed later how incredibly dangerous and harmful they actually are? Seriously, where are you people saying these things coming from??

Are you really that close minded?

How can you say that medications are bad for you due to how many side effects that are listed? Sure, there are a lot however the chances of them actually occuring are slim. They are listed so patients and doctors can make a decision based on what is best for the patients health. My father for example has had to take daily medications for the past 25 years to keep him alive. He has yet to experience any of the side effects the paperwork has listed.

I bet if you had an open diary you would be consuming far worse things for you than milk and pop.

"Natural" things can be far worse for you than factory made things.

Look at both sides of the issues before you make a decision... read the scientific studies and not some random persons opinion. There has yet to be real proof that pop is that bad for you. There has been no proof that milk is bad for you unless you have a lactose issue. Milk and pop can be part of a healthy diet.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    The main reason not to drink pop is that it contains most of the sugar you need for a day in it.

Sugar isn't intrinsically bad for you, but consuming a lot of it makes you fat and the whole bias of this place is towards weightloss, no?
    A. Sugar doesn't make you fat. Consuming more energy than your burn does. End of story.

B. The name of the website is called My *Fitness* Pal. Yes, a lot of people are on here for weightloss, but a lot of people are here simply to improve their current level of fitness.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I've seriously cut my pop consumption down to maybe once a week, and if possible I choose a sugar-sweetened over a corn syrup sweetened. I've always gone with coke over pepsi, but after reading some of the unusual uses for coca cola, I've really thought twice before drinking that cola. Just some Ive read are: killing bugs, cleaning grease stains from clothing, removing black film from pots & pans, removing skunk odor, cleaning windows, and de-rusting metal

Removing blood from asphalt...
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options

A. Sugar doesn't make you fat. Consuming more energy than your burn does. End of story.

B. The name of the website is called My *Fitness* Pal. Yes, a lot of people are on here for weightloss, but a lot of people are here simply to improve their current level of fitness.

Sheesh!::flowerforyou: