7 Side effects of Sodas

Options

Replies

• jhcogan
    Options
    Make Mine Moxie! :smile:
  • EdwarddeVere
    Options
    Oh no... Another King or Queen of the internet contest.
  • stuntpilot51
    stuntpilot51 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This thread has now jumped off into the deep end.

Plus I just saw an ad for Diet Coke at the bottom of the page.

Continue on!
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Everyone always has to defend the worst stuff, for whatever reason. Soda is digusting sweet chemicals, that is all it is. If people want to try to compare it to plain water...well, let them. Anyone with a brain can reason that soda is not, CAN not, and never will be good for you. Look at the list of ingredients and try to say all that isn't doing something negative to your body.

Like what?

You can't be serious.
    This by a person who believes DAIRY has no benefits for the body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I was going to say, you probably think dairy is good for you, too. A bodly fluid produced by cows for their newborn offspring...yet YOU think that human adults somehow need this for their own nutrition.

I would love to debate this more, but I am tired and going to head to bed. Besides, you want to believe a sugary, artifical, lab-produced, acidic beverage isn't harmful to you, I am probably not going to change your mind.

In other words, I got nothing, I'm gonna flounce off ina huff.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Everyone always has to defend the worst stuff, for whatever reason. Soda is digusting sweet chemicals, that is all it is. If people want to try to compare it to plain water...well, let them. Anyone with a brain can reason that soda is not, CAN not, and never will be good for you. Look at the list of ingredients and try to say all that isn't doing something negative to your body.
    F
    Like what?

You can't be serious.

IDEA Fitness member

I was going to say, you probably think dairy is good for you, too. A bodly fluid produced by cows for their newborn offspring...yet YOU think that human adults somehow need this for their own nutrition.

I would love to debate this more, but I am tired and going to head to bed. Besides, you want to believe a sugary, artifical, lab-produced, acidic beverage isn't harmful to you, I am probably not going to change your mind.

In other words, I got nothing, I'm gonna flounce off ina huff.

Wrong. *sigh*

But thanks for chiming in on the discussion!
  • NightOwlMama
    NightOwlMama Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    once I saw my uncle use Coke to clean the battery acid off of a car battery. It changed my thoughts about soda for a long time. Then I started drinking Pepsi. It's my pick me up I can't stand the smell of coffee and the caffeine is what gets me going. I'm trying to drop down to soda just on the weekends so I started drinking Green tea with ginseng kinda gives off the same effects of soda. Wakes me up and keeps me alert.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Soda is definitely bad for you. If you want to debate that, I don't get it but knock yourself out. For certain, there's nothing about it that's GOOD for you.

Like many things that are bad for you, go ahead and have a little from time to time. No one said you couldn't. No one is taking away your bottle. Calm down.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    once I saw my uncle use Coke to clean the battery acid off of a car battery. It changed my thoughts about soda for a long time. Then I started drinking Pepsi. It's my pick me up I can't stand the smell of coffee and the caffeine is what gets me going. I'm trying to drop down to soda just on the weekends so I started drinking Green tea with ginseng kinda gives off the same effects of soda. Wakes me up and keeps me alert.

Willing to bet water would have been just as effective at cleaning the battery acid off ... Just sayin
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

Willing to bet water would have been just as effective at cleaning the battery acid off ... Just sayin

Nope, water wouldn't. Hot sauce would though, that's what my stepdad used to use.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Like what?

You can't be serious.

IDEA Fitness member

Well, human breast milk is not yet produced on a commercial scale, so . . .

Fruit is also acidic and sugary.

A lot of healthy stuff is artificial and lab-produced. Medications, for example. Dietary supplements. Not to mention that all of this stuff is tested to make sure that it is safe for human consumption.

Oh....YEAH!! Medications are SO healthy for you. Um, have you ever looked at the list of side effects?? Usually it takes up an entire page in a magazine, small print. And how many things have passed FDA inspection only to be revealed later how incredibly dangerous and harmful they actually are? Seriously, where are you people saying these things coming from??

ok so I understood going against soda and milk. I mean, I didn't understood your POV but I understood how the hipsters have gotten to most of folks who don't like to research before opening their mouth. But you're against medicine? Modern medicine is the reason for longer life and improvement in quality of life...

I really hope you never have any serious medical issues because at that point, modern medicine will be your main source of health improvement.
  • crbf
    crbf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump, so I can read these entertaining debates later :laugh:
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Key bit for me is the rots teeth, last year I had 2 removed, 3 fillings and 1 root canal ...
    my dentist asked if i knew why ...
    I said not looking after my teeth well enough
    "no not at all, it will be poor diet, too many sweets and fizzy drinks"
    So now I've given them up, I never want to be in that much pain ever again!
    x
  • Jillygal40
    Options
    very good to know :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    255405_10151085507908119_1873104569_n.jpg

I'm not gonna drink water either, sounds too dangerous! :noway:
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Key bit for me is the rots teeth, last year I had 2 removed, 3 fillings and 1 root canal ...
    x
    Location.... England.
    What's your Point?
    Or is it just as valid to say 30% of Americans also have rotten teeth , but they be poor so they don't count.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    x
    Location.... England.

I would really appreciate it if you could be a tiny bit more blatantly racist please
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

Like what?

You can't be serious.

IDEA Fitness member

Well, human breast milk is not yet produced on a commercial scale, so . . .

Fruit is also acidic and sugary.

A lot of healthy stuff is artificial and lab-produced. Medications, for example. Dietary supplements. Not to mention that all of this stuff is tested to make sure that it is safe for human consumption.

Oh....YEAH!! Medications are SO healthy for you. Um, have you ever looked at the list of side effects?? Usually it takes up an entire page in a magazine, small print. And how many things have passed FDA inspection only to be revealed later how incredibly dangerous and harmful they actually are? Seriously, where are you people saying these things coming from??

Just because something has side effects doesn't mean it isn't good for you. The point is to allow patients and doctors to decide whether the benefits of a therapy outweigh the risks. By the way, it is true that the studies in the FDA review process do not have enough participants to catch all the potential side effects of a medication. HOWEVER, the organization that reviews the data once a medication goes into large-scale use in order to ensure that it is as safe as we predicted is . . . the FDA! The fact of the matter is that scientists have been studying sodas and diet sodas for decades and have never found them to be unsafe.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Almost everything we eat is slightly acidic. Sometimes very acidic. Milk has a pH of 6.7, which is almost neutral! Foods that are more acidic than milk include fish, beans, and cabbage, not to mention probably every single fruit in existence. The claim that milk contributes to osteoporosis because it is slightly acidic is patently ridiculous.

For anyone who wants to know the pH of different foods: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/food-ph-d_403.html
    How dare you quote logic and actual science. :angry:

Don't you know that science like that is made up by the Grey Aliens to keep us mindless sheep in their control?

The only way to salvation is to turn away from all science and eat nothing but raw food and pure water.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Didn't you see my post about water?!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

You DON'T need milk to be healthy, but to tout that it has no benefits from consumption is false. Calcium is important and provided by milk.
    And you'd lose the debate. You claim to research information, but don't use actual peer reviewed clinical science. But thanks for playing anyway.

IDEA Fitness member

You need to go back to google, ninerbuff. Milk has been proven over and over to actually aggravate osteoporosis. You see, milk is slightly acidic and in order to neutralize the acid, your body pulls calcium straight from your bones. That is why populations that have very low dairy consumption have much lower rates of bone fractures and osteoporosis.

But, you know, you can just keep on believing what the dairy industry tells you, if that's what you want to do.

Again - please back up your source with studies that show a causation. I have yet to see one and I keep asking people who make this claim.

I've done that so many times already. Funny, I don't see the soda and dairy advocates posting their peer-reviewed studies. Honestly, like I said before, I think if people are honestly curious about a subject and willing to have an open mind, they need to do their own research. If I posted a bunch of studies, I would imagine (and frankly, expect) people to go on and look things up even more. I just don't have the energy right now to find all these acceptable sources for you, when you could easily do it yourself. Make sense?

If you have done it so many times, surely you have all this research to hand. How about sharing so that you can try to get some credibility for all these claims you are making.

And no, it does not make sense as I have looked into studies re soda and milk and have found no such studies that show a causation effect on bone density. So, I cannot easily find them - I tend to suspect that they do not exist but would be very happy if you could show me studies proving me wrong.

Ok. No problem. Lets meet back here tomorrow, as it is 2 am where I live and I need to get to sleep. I will definitely post studies tomorrow. We must be using a different world wide Internet if you are unable to find studies showing the correlation between dairy consumption and osteoporosis. I will help you.

Thank you so much...I look forward to seeing peer reviewed studies showing a causation of dairy consumption on osteoporosis. I have a few studies myself waiting...they do not show that however :wink:

I think it is very important that soda people become aware of the 'dangers' of dairy consumption. It may smite them at night if they decide to add it. And who needs proof when you have experience? I know I added baileys to pepsi once because I was a desperate teenager who forgot mix. It was a bad scene, and pop drinkers everywhere should become aware that swallowing chunky inconsistent liquids such as congealed milk can smite you..