crochet???

Options
12346»

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    firstsip wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I had no idea so many here actually crocheted. I do appreciate the helpful suggestions because I do crochet a lot and to be honest it is a lot of repetitive motion and if crocheting large items or with heavy material it can be considered some type of excersise. I apologize to the ones that thought I was crazy for asking the question :)

Unfortunately, repetitive motion at even that sort of weight isn't burning many calories. You are likely strengthening your fingers, hands, wrists, and even forearms, which is great, because if you ever decided to pick up weights, you've got some potentially stronger stabilizers in your arms. But even weight training is less about calorie burn then it is about building muscle which in turn burns calories... which isn't happening with crocheting.

Otherwise, you need to get your heart rate to actually consider something a cardio exercise. Unless you're huffing and puffing from crocheting, it is probably <5 calories an hour on top of your BMR.

This, more than anything. It will give you a huge leg up on grip strength if you move to strength training.

Not in my case. My grip strength is non-existent. I generally prefer knitting to crochet now, though.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the yarn is coming off of his wrists, there are no tails leading down to that bag. If you look at his website there are pictures of him working both ways. I am seriously impressed that he can knit words into those scarves while running.

I agree with you; the two colors are separated, one on each wrist. Stitches are on his fingers. He's not "running with needles," (meaning he recognizes how stupid/dangerous that would be); he's knitting with his fingers from the two yarns on his wrists. Whether or not he knits for length, that's beside the point. I'm more interested in how he actually knits. I think that's how he's doing it. Fascinating!

Also, just for grins @callsitlikeiseeit it's crochet hooks and knitting needles...LOL!!! We knitters and crocheters just can't pass up an opportunity to correct that!!! And, frankly, I agree with you; about the only way I'd knit or crochet during exercise is maybe, just maybe, walking on a treadmill. Otherwise, this hobby is for relaxing while using the creative part of my ole noodle.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,848 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the yarn is coming off of his wrists, there are no tails leading down to that bag. If you look at his website there are pictures of him working both ways. I am seriously impressed that he can knit words into those scarves while running.

I agree with you; the two colors are separated, one on each wrist. Stitches are on his fingers. He's not "running with needles," (meaning he recognizes how stupid/dangerous that would be); he's knitting with his fingers from the two yarns on his wrists. Whether or not he knits for length, that's beside the point. I'm more interested in how he actually knits. I think that's how he's doing it. Fascinating!

Also, just for grins @callsitlikeiseeit it's crochet hooks and knitting needles...LOL!!! We knitters and crocheters just can't pass up an opportunity to correct that!!! And, frankly, I agree with you; about the only way I'd knit or crochet during exercise is maybe, just maybe, walking on a treadmill. Otherwise, this hobby is for relaxing while using the creative part of my ole noodle.

If you read the article linked, it says he was not permitted to use needles. FWIW.
  • CarlydogsMom
    Options

Agree. The link to the story actually clarifies it (read caption under first photo). He's crocheted essentially gauntlets of both colors, and finger-knits the scarf from those crocheted pieces on his arms. Very cool.

And, while I'm just-a-jokin', @callsitlikeiseeit it's crochet hooks and knitting needles. We fiber crazies can't stand not pointing (pun...) that out. I do agree with you, too; knitting/crocheting = relax and create! Exercising = get to it. Maybe I'd knit while walking on a treadmill, but that's about it...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

Agree. The link to the story actually clarifies it (read caption under first photo). He's crocheted essentially gauntlets of both colors, and finger-knits the scarf from those crocheted pieces on his arms. Very cool.

And, while I'm just-a-jokin', @callsitlikeiseeit it's crochet hooks and knitting needles. We fiber crazies can't stand not pointing (pun...) that out. I do agree with you, too; knitting/crocheting = relax and create! Exercising = get to it. Maybe I'd knit while walking on a treadmill, but that's about it...

dying laughing at the lesson in correct terminology LMAO
  • CarlydogsMom
    edited November 2017
    Options

dying laughing at the lesson in correct terminology LMAO

Good, you never know how you come across in a web forum, glad you got a chuckle. It was for grins and giggles. :wink:

Now, back to knitting with my hook needles. :sunglasses:

Oh geez, I see I posted essentially the same thing twice. Sorry. I had written the first post, then bounced off screen to check the article, came back and my original post had vanished. So I wrote it again. Now I see both were posted. Oops. Beating a dead horse....and now this thread will be at the top again!!! I'm done here!!!