crochet???

Options

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    :flushed:

Oh dear... how many times is this poor thread going to be resurrected?

But, avid knitter here. I keep myself and all my friends and family in sweaters, scarves, hats, gloves and socks. Also working on the odd dress and jacket. I do consider that as part of my sedentary activity profile and would in no way give myself more calories for it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Are you crocheting HIIT/tabata style? Are you using a crochet hook 5lbs heavier with each session? Progressive crochet overload?

Hot crochet?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    gretchens1 wrote: »
    I can't believe so many people have responded negatively towards this question - I crochet quite a bit, and quickly, and do "feel the burn" in my arms from time to time. That being said, I thought this was a website where we were meant to support each other, not cut each other down - granted, it is not likely crocheting burns any recordable calories. But come on, people. Don't be jerks.

Wat?

No one was being a jerk. I see a couple of humourous replies, but no jerks. For the most part, most were saying there's was no appreciable calorie burn.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    :flushed:

Oh dear... how many times is this poor thread going to be resurrected?

But, avid knitter here. I keep myself and all my friends and family in sweaters, scarves, hats, gloves and socks. Also working on the odd dress and jacket. I do consider that as part of my sedentary activity profile and would in no way give myself more calories for it.

This poor thread just won't be left in peace to die! :lol: I like to crochet, but that just matches up well with my other lazy *kitten* grandmotherly tendencies. I've tried knitting, get frustrated and quit every time. Crochet relaxes me. Knitting just turns me into a sailor-cursing angry mess.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    While physical it's not strenuous, but I do find that my Apple Watch thinks I'm doing a lot because of the wrist movements :smile:
  • laloba1981
    laloba1981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    While this is no alternative for cardio or lifting, I too enjoy AT LEAST two hours or more of crocheting and have thought long and hard for ways to incorporate a little more physical activity in. I use a stability ball rather than kicking back in the recliner and use cheap strap-on wrist weights. It sounds too simple but if you knit or crochet for a few hours, it really adds up! Position yourself just right on the stability ball, engage the ab and leg muscles and you'll feel the burn after about 30 minutes! I know it doesn't replace a real workout, but it's better than just sitting there! The ball helps with balance too. The hardest part is remembering to engage the abs and not losing count of stitches, lol.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This multi awakened zombie thread just. Won't. Die.

And no one's even yet mentioned the guy who sets records for knitting while running marathons.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/knitting-runner-beats-personal-record-nyc-marathon-article-1.2005384

My theory is that it's the only crochet thread that exists on MFP :lol:
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    OMG. This is the best zombie thread yet that I've seen.

I knit. It doesn't burn anything more than would be expected by typically sitting on the couch and watching TV. Because sadly I am not coordinated enough to run and knit at the same time. :D
  • Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I can walk and knit (I'm more likely to read and knit) but I'm pretty sure if I tried running it would not be pretty. :o
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    OMG. This is the best zombie thread yet that I've seen.

I knit. It doesn't burn anything more than would be expected by typically sitting on the couch and watching TV. Because sadly I am not coordinated enough to run and knit at the same time. :D

Look on the bright side... by knitting and watching tv you're not snacking and watching tv :wink:

Latest sweater is almost finished. Just need to do the trimming around the neck. :blush:
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options

And no one's even yet mentioned the guy who sets records for knitting while running marathons.

knitting8n-3-web.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/knitting-runner-beats-personal-record-nyc-marathon-article-1.2005384

So this guy is finger knitting, and the knitted fabric on his arms is being unraveled and re-knitted with his fingers. Am I seeing that correctly?

I took up spinning as well as knitting/crocheting, and am in the process of knitting a handspun sweater. Took me a month to crank out the yarn, now probably a couple months to knit the sweater. Makes for a good project and I'm happy that it's turning out lovely so far. Making it long enough to cover my butt so I can wear comfy leggings/jeggings. At 5-10, most sweaters land at the god-awful perfect spot to highlight the width of my rear.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,219 Member
    Options

knitting8n-3-web.jpg

So this guy is finger knitting, and the knitted fabric on his arms is being unraveled and re-knitted with his fingers. Am I seeing that correctly?

I took up spinning as well as knitting/crocheting, and am in the process of knitting a handspun sweater. Took me a month to crank out the yarn, now probably a couple months to knit the sweater. Makes for a good project and I'm happy that it's turning out lovely so far. Making it long enough to cover my butt so I can wear comfy leggings/jeggings. At 5-10, most sweaters land at the god-awful perfect spot to highlight the width of my rear.

No. He knits for length. IMU that's what the records he sets are: Finished knit length. Yarn on his right (in bag, I guess), narrow scarf (this one with words knit in!) accumulating on his left.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Don't I wish! I'd be soooo skinny.
  • Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the yarn is coming off of his wrists, there are no tails leading down to that bag. If you look at his website there are pictures of him working both ways. I am seriously impressed that he can knit words into those scarves while running.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    firstsip wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I had no idea so many here actually crocheted. I do appreciate the helpful suggestions because I do crochet a lot and to be honest it is a lot of repetitive motion and if crocheting large items or with heavy material it can be considered some type of excersise. I apologize to the ones that thought I was crazy for asking the question :)

Unfortunately, repetitive motion at even that sort of weight isn't burning many calories. You are likely strengthening your fingers, hands, wrists, and even forearms, which is great, because if you ever decided to pick up weights, you've got some potentially stronger stabilizers in your arms. But even weight training is less about calorie burn then it is about building muscle which in turn burns calories... which isn't happening with crocheting.

Otherwise, you need to get your heart rate to actually consider something a cardio exercise. Unless you're huffing and puffing from crocheting, it is probably <5 calories an hour on top of your BMR.

This, more than anything. It will give you a huge leg up on grip strength if you move to strength training.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    firstsip wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I had no idea so many here actually crocheted. I do appreciate the helpful suggestions because I do crochet a lot and to be honest it is a lot of repetitive motion and if crocheting large items or with heavy material it can be considered some type of excersise. I apologize to the ones that thought I was crazy for asking the question :)

Unfortunately, repetitive motion at even that sort of weight isn't burning many calories. You are likely strengthening your fingers, hands, wrists, and even forearms, which is great, because if you ever decided to pick up weights, you've got some potentially stronger stabilizers in your arms. But even weight training is less about calorie burn then it is about building muscle which in turn burns calories... which isn't happening with crocheting.

Otherwise, you need to get your heart rate to actually consider something a cardio exercise. Unless you're huffing and puffing from crocheting, it is probably <5 calories an hour on top of your BMR.

^ this is what you want to remember. If your heart rate is elevated, you're burning extra calories. If not, you aren't.

I tried knitting once and it was so aggravating it drove me to start smoking again.

Maybe I should try crocheting...

If your HR is elevated, you're not necessarily burning extra calories.

IF your HR is not elevated, you're not necessarily NOT burning extra calories.

A. If for example, someone pops a balloon behind you, your HR will go up, but you won't burn a meaningful amount of extra calories.

B. Running up stairs, and Running up stairs with a 40 pound load will increase your HR about the same amount, but carrying the load will burn proportionally higher calories.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    30139d1334299885-ript-zombie-thread.png

LOL

IT LIVES!!
  • pinuplove
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    30139d1334299885-ript-zombie-thread.png

LOL

IT LIVES!!

I'm not ashamed to admit I have this thread marked for notifications. I want to see how many times it comes back to life!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its not exercise.

you want a workout? take a run or go to the gym. you want to relax and keep your mind/ fingers busy? pick up the crochet needles.