Paleo Eating Program

Options
I've noticed a few posting regarding the Paleo eating program. Could those of you who have done this program please elaborate on what your daily meals consisted of...I've researched it on-line and you get conflicting stories. Some say no dairy, others allow..Some say no wild brown rice, other allow...This program sounds very appealing to me minus the elimation of wild brown rice. Bread...no big deal to me. I recall years ago, a lady who worked at a health food store told me she always carried a lot of weight through her hips/thighs, just like myself, until she eliminated dairy from her diet. I do like my fat free plain greek yogurt and 1% milk but would eliminate from my diet if it would help me lose weight. Again...would appreciate more info on this program (I don't like the word diet) and what your meals consisted of. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong but I believe the primary basis of the paleo diet is nothing processed... a version of eating clean.

Lots of lean meats and lots of fruits and veggies.

There are a few decent books about it out there. Ensure you know everything about it and ensure it's something you can stick with forever.

Don't base your decisions based on what someone else has done to lose weight, etc. THe lady who dropped dairy may of changed something else with it to lose the weight... but just because it worked for her if she had just dropped dairy doesn't mean it will work for you. Dairy can be a great part of a healthy diet.

Ultimately, if you have no issues with gluten (carbs), lactose (dairy) etc there is really no need to cut anything from your diet. You can lose weight eating anything as long as you keep your calories in check.
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but I will share with you what I know. The primary basis of the Paleo diet is that you only eat foods that were available to man in the paleolithic period. That way all of the foods that came about after the advent of agriculture (grains, dairy, legumes, and processed foods) are out. There are two very similar diet lifestyles called paleo and Primal. Paleo is more strict and doesn't allow any dairy, grains, processed foods or legumes. Primal is a little more relaxed and at least allows minimal dairy I think. On neither of these diets are you allowed grains and I am sorry to say that wild brown rice falls into that category. Instead of counting calories in this plan, you keep a close watch on your carbs instead. They say you should stay under 100 carbs a day if you want to see weightloss. Because of this you actually have to also monitor your produce consumption pretty closely. When I started all I was eating was meat, fruits, veg, and nuts (absolutely NO junk or processed foods of any kind) and I was still logging in around 150 carbs a day. It wasn't until I cut out just about all of the fruit and ate only certain veggies that I managed to get my carbs to where they were supposed to be. There is a Primal website that has a lot of information on both diets actually and other things that are important to do: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ I'd start here and read all you can to see if it is really something you are going to be able to stick with. There is also a Primal/Paleo group on this message board that is pretty active and has a lot of nice people that are more than happy to help with any questions you might have.
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm eating Paleo and I'm currently on the Paleo Whole30 challenge (www.whole9life.com for more details on that). Your best resource for Paleo is www.robbwolf.com, who really breaks it down: http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/

There are people who modify the Paleo diet, because honestly, there is still a lot of debate about what is and isn't Paleo. Some people do drink dairy, or certain raw grass-fed milk and butter. But for the most part, the list of foods that Robb discusses is the basis for the Paleo diet. I would start there, and then possibly work through the forums on Paleohacks, but it can get quite overwhelming unless there is something in particular you're looking up.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I'm eating Paleo and I'm currently on the Paleo Whole30 challenge (www.whole9life.com for more details on that).

How long have you been doing Whole30? How do you feel? What do you think at this stage?
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I've been paleo for 3 months now...for waht you can eat ~ basically think back to cave man days and if they could find it in the wild or were able to spear it in the wild you can eat it.~ Pretty much comes down to whole foods, except for NO dairy, NO sugar and NO grains, NO legumes. ALOT of cooking and planning when it comes to meals, nothing is premade.
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm eating Paleo and I'm currently on the Paleo Whole30 challenge (www.whole9life.com for more details on that). Your best resource for Paleo is www.robbwolf.com, who really breaks it down: http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/

There are people who modify the Paleo diet, because honestly, there is still a lot of debate about what is and isn't Paleo. Some people do drink dairy, or certain raw grass-fed milk and butter. But for the most part, the list of foods that Robb discusses is the basis for the Paleo diet. I would start there, and then possibly work through the forums on Paleohacks, but it can get quite overwhelming unless there is something in particular you're looking up.

The Whole 30 challenge is a great place to start if you're interested in Paleo. Personally, I've been following Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint, which is similar to paleo, but does have some differences.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/#axzz2ILa8Vz4w

I started following the Primal Blueprint in mid-August because my doctor felt that I had a wheat sensitivity, and have never felt better.
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm eating Paleo and I'm currently on the Paleo Whole30 challenge (www.whole9life.com for more details on that).

How long have you been doing Whole30? How do you feel? What do you think at this stage?

I started on Jan. 1 so I've been doing it for 18 days now. I feel great! I'm hardly ever hungry and being a type 1 diabetic, my blood sugars have never been more stable! I have some cravings now and again, but for the most part, it's been great. I never really had energy problems, but my husband always had the afternoon slump (and would often taken a nap when he came home!) and that has not been an issue for him anymore.

We enjoy all the foods that we eat, and really haven't had any issues not eating grains. Especially when you realize how unnatural and potentially bad for you they are, it's pretty easy to say no thanks and focus on eating foods that won't cause you problems.
  • sociologywoman
    sociologywoman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on the Whole30 program and have done it once before, as well my normal diet is primarily the Paleo. I think you have to do what is best for you. The biggest problem with MOST dairy is the added sugars that are put in dair (including artificial which is worse)... and hence, dairy will add a lot of sugars to your diet. Most people think if it's "low fat" then it's good, but they dont' understand that some yogurts have as much or MORE sugar than some candy bars!!! Which when sugar is not utilized immediately as energy it will be stored as FAT!!!! YIKES...

Both the Whole 30 and the Paleo programs ultimately are trying to retrain you and your body to enjoying food in it's natural states!!! I agree with basically what everyone else has written here, and you have to do your own research. The primary basis of the Whole 30 is eating whole foods, and trying to recognize that many foods in our American diet actually are causing side affects or reactions in people. I did a food allergy testing and found I was allergice/sensitive to diary, wheat/gluten, CORN!!, among several other things. When I eliminated diary I found I no longer needed Claritin-D on a daily basis, since dairy can cause inflammatory responses in the body...I always felt like my sinus were "clogges/stuffy". No more gurgling stomach etc.

Whole 30 tries to eliminate many foods that are not to be common allergens/or cause problems for people...thus after the 30days they suggest reintroducing some foods.

I like the basic premis of both of these lifestyles. Basically it is remembering that our DNA hasn't changed in almost 10,000/years but the foods that we eat have changed dramatically ....and with that SOOO has the diseases that we have seen increase dramatically. Sugar is highly linked with cancer. Artificial sugars as well...NOT to mention, Sucralos is a Bleach molecule with 3 sugar molecules attached....WHO would eat that if they actually advertised it like that??? NO ONE!!!

Honestly, in my view, it's about knowing whats in my food, and making the choice to eliminate foods (thought they might taste fantastic) that are not healthy for me or for my body!! Food as fuel right....if you wouldn't put sugar in your gas tank...why are you putting it in your system?? LOL...

I went Gluten Free, Corn Free, Soy Free and Dairy Free, Sugar Free several months back, and I have noticed less bloating, better digestion, less aches pains, less fatigue, less or few cravings (especially for sugar), less congestion, my immunity is better....honestly the list goes on and on....No one is perfect and even I have moments when I miss certain foods...so sure...in small moderation I might have something....but I honestly pay the price...my stomach notices. I have found GREAT "replacement" recipes for many things online so I dont feel like I'm missing out!

I live on the basic rule of this...IF I can't pronounce it or doen't even know what it is...then I shouldn't be putting it in my body!!!!! I aslo like foods with less than like 5 ingredients in it....the more the 'ingredients" the more processed it is...

Fresh Carrots Ingredient = Carrots

Twinkies Ingredients = Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable and/or animal shortening – containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup, solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow No. 5, red #40.[12]
  • tutti777
    Options
    Very, very informative...Thank you for all this information.
    I'm currently on the Whole30 program and have done it once before, as well my normal diet is primarily the Paleo. I think you have to do what is best for you. The biggest problem with MOST dairy is the added sugars that are put in dair (including artificial which is worse)... and hence, dairy will add a lot of sugars to your diet. Most people think if it's "low fat" then it's good, but they dont' understand that some yogurts have as much or MORE sugar than some candy bars!!! Which when sugar is not utilized immediately as energy it will be stored as FAT!!!! YIKES...

Both the Whole 30 and the Paleo programs ultimately are trying to retrain you and your body to enjoying food in it's natural states!!! I agree with basically what everyone else has written here, and you have to do your own research. The primary basis of the Whole 30 is eating whole foods, and trying to recognize that many foods in our American diet actually are causing side affects or reactions in people. I did a food allergy testing and found I was allergice/sensitive to diary, wheat/gluten, CORN!!, among several other things. When I eliminated diary I found I no longer needed Claritin-D on a daily basis, since dairy can cause inflammatory responses in the body...I always felt like my sinus were "clogges/stuffy". No more gurgling stomach etc.

Whole 30 tries to eliminate many foods that are not to be common allergens/or cause problems for people...thus after the 30days they suggest reintroducing some foods.

I like the basic premis of both of these lifestyles. Basically it is remembering that our DNA hasn't changed in almost 10,000/years but the foods that we eat have changed dramatically ....and with that SOOO has the diseases that we have seen increase dramatically. Sugar is highly linked with cancer. Artificial sugars as well...NOT to mention, Sucralos is a Bleach molecule with 3 sugar molecules attached....WHO would eat that if they actually advertised it like that??? NO ONE!!!

Honestly, in my view, it's about knowing whats in my food, and making the choice to eliminate foods (thought they might taste fantastic) that are not healthy for me or for my body!! Food as fuel right....if you wouldn't put sugar in your gas tank...why are you putting it in your system?? LOL...

I went Gluten Free, Corn Free, Soy Free and Dairy Free, Sugar Free several months back, and I have noticed less bloating, better digestion, less aches pains, less fatigue, less or few cravings (especially for sugar), less congestion, my immunity is better....honestly the list goes on and on....No one is perfect and even I have moments when I miss certain foods...so sure...in small moderation I might have something....but I honestly pay the price...my stomach notices. I have found GREAT "replacement" recipes for many things online so I dont feel like I'm missing out!

I live on the basic rule of this...IF I can't pronounce it or doen't even know what it is...then I shouldn't be putting it in my body!!!!! I aslo like foods with less than like 5 ingredients in it....the more the 'ingredients" the more processed it is...

Fresh Carrots Ingredient = Carrots

Twinkies Ingredients = Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable and/or animal shortening – containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup, solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow No. 5, red #40.[12]
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    There is a book you can buy called 'The Primal Blueprint' by Mark Sisson that has all you might need in it.
    There is also 'The Paleo Solution' by Robb Wolf and 'Primal Body, Primal Mind' by Nora T. Gedgaudas.
    All are good starting points.
    I tend to just take a moderate view, I have a lot of fruits, vegetables and lean meats, and have dairy, grains and legumes only in moderation. I know I could not strictly adhere to no dairy for life, so I don't try and stick to the best of it, which is avoiding processed foods, essentially, and being careful of my sources for meat and fish.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    The primary basis of the Paleo diet is that you only eat foods that were available to man in the paleolithic period. That way all of the foods that came about after the advent of agriculture (grains, dairy, legumes, and processed foods) are out.

Seems strange...didn't agriculture evolve because it lead to healthier humans?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    The primary basis of the Paleo diet is that you only eat foods that were available to man in the paleolithic period. That way all of the foods that came about after the advent of agriculture (grains, dairy, legumes, and processed foods) are out.

No, it evolved to make life easier and less dependent on the environment for a food supply around them which in nature when this happens, populations increases but unlike civilization the opposite also happens. Initially and some would argue, continually shows declining health. We got smaller and our teeth not fitting our jaws properly is an example. This was also the entry point into large transmitted diseases as well, just a couple of the costs that were clearly evident.

The disconnect that appears in this diet, in my opinion, is there seems to be a leap of faith or just blind ignorance that this somehow translates into any food that wasn't available during the paleolithic timeline, somehow translates into foods to be avoided, which I believe is taken to be some kind of sacred principal that is not questioned by their guru's and followers, which makes sense I guess, otherwise the diet doesn't really make sense. Like any extreme dietary philosophy, some of the logic is based in truth, while most of it is based on a mutual biased state of mind that is very fragile when science gets involved, the problem is science does support the hypothesis, but falls apart dreadfully when everything (all food) is taken into account. Primal as opposed to paleo is a good example of a faction that obviously believes that not all the food outside of paleolithic times was bad, and I would imagine as this diet picks up momentum other less strict versions will immerse much in the same way vegetarian has and still is.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

No actually once agriicultue developed our brains got smaller and body's got weaker we developed osteoporosis and tooth cavities, cancer etc
    It developed as it was easier and allowed us to stay in one place - easier for community etc
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy, why not make up your own diet instead of telling people you eat like a caveman. It sounds so ridiculously stupid.
  • JustTheBeebs
    JustTheBeebs Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy, why not make up your own diet instead of telling people you eat like a caveman. It sounds so ridiculously stupid.

A very good point, however, the average person doesn't know about Macros, Micros, blood sugar spikes, glycemic index etc.
    So it is hard to produce the right nutrition if you know little about it.
    Its opening up the hood of a car, getting someone who doesn't know mechanics, pointing to everything and naming it. Engine,carberetta etc and telling them to fix it!
    I have not read into Paleo, but from what people are suggesting is that is pushing them in the right direction to eat the correct foods at the correct time of day.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options

A very good point, however, the average person doesn't know about Macros, Micros, blood sugar spikes, glycemic index etc.
    Its opening up the hood of a car, getting someone who doesn't know mechanics, pointing to everything and naming it. Engine,carberetta etc and telling them to fix it!
    I have not read into Paleo, but from what people are suggesting is that is pushing them in the right direction to eat the correct foods at the correct time of day.

I still think cutting legumes out and quinoa is completely ridiculous. Especially when you sprout them, they are so very good for you and easily digestible. Also dairy if you have no problems with that, why cut it out, same with peanuts, I can go on and on. There is something wrong when you have to bring a list or get an app on your phone with you to see what is acceptable to eat and what isn't based on someone elses unfounded opinion as to what you should be eating. Sure cut out almost everything from anyones diet and they will lose weight, that is obvious especially coke and processed foods. There are far better ways to figure out how to eat healthily than this. Seriously, eat like a caveman? It sounds so stupid. Why not say I have taken the processed food out of my diet, or I don't eat white bread, or I am gluten free because gluten irritates my system, or I am allergic to peanuts, or I am a vegetarian etc etc....
    And eating at correct times of day that is a myth. You can eat your calories whenever you see fit.
  • debdelilah
    Options

We enjoy all the foods that we eat, and really haven't had any issues not eating grains. Especially when you realize how unnatural and potentially bad for you they are, it's pretty easy to say no thanks and focus on eating foods that won't cause you problems.

How are grains unnatural, unless you mean genetically modified ones? Meat is also produced unnaturally, with hormones and even genetically modified chickens - but there are more natural versions of both available.

Humans are not able to safely ingest and digest raw meat, and don't have the claws and jaws of carnivores, so I don't think you could say we are made to eat meat any more than we are made to eat grains - but we can eat both. I am thinking during the ice age there was less of a fruit vegetable diet available, but we still have a lot of physical features(like hand shape) in common with our primate ancestors who ate primarily fruits and buds.
  • JustTheBeebs
    JustTheBeebs Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I still think cutting legumes out and quinoa is completely ridiculous. Especially when you sprout them, they are so very good for you and easily digestible. Also dairy if you have no problems with that, why cut it out, same with peanuts, I can go on and on. There is something wrong when you have to bring a list or get an app on your phone with you to see what is acceptable to eat and what isn't based on someone elses unfounded opinion as to what you should be eating. Sure cut out almost everything from anyones diet and they will lose weight, that is obvious especially coke and processed foods. There are far better ways to figure out how to eat healthily than this. Seriously, eat like a caveman? It sounds so stupid. Why not say I have taken the processed food out of my diet, or I don't eat white bread, or I am gluten free because gluten irritates my system, or I am allergic to peanuts, or I am a vegetarian etc etc....
    And eating at correct times of day that is a myth. You can eat your calories whenever you see fit.

Again i half agree with you.
    Dairy obviously has benefits of Calcium and other micro nutrients. And Legumes are a good source of protein for vegetarians.
    However eating at correct times of day does help.
    I know there is intermittent fasting etc, but again whos to say that your home made nutrition plan is better then IF?
    Eating at period through the day regulates blood sugar and doesn't allow it to spike, insulin kicks in takes the glucose you get a blood sugar low, you get hungry. Thats the cycle if you eat the wrong things at the wrong times!
    One reason for obesity.
    Regulating what and when you eat is good for staying full, without stuffing your face.
    The body can only take a certain amount of Macros at at time so no point using lots of your calories each meal. Its better to break them up into smaller meals every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism going and to regulate blood sugar
  • debdelilah
    Options

No actually once agriicultue developed our brains got smaller and body's got weaker we developed osteoporosis and tooth cavities, cancer etc
    It developed as it was easier and allowed us to stay in one place - easier for community etc

We started living longer, though, in agricultural societies - cancer and osteoporosis are diseases of old age. And it's hard to deny that quite a lot of the things we take for granted today have been developed after the dawn of agriculture-how could this have happened if it had such a detrimental effect on the brain?
    Our primate ancestors ate a diet that was 95% herbivore and 5% insects/meat - I've been reading some material that shows that increasing the meat consumption, especially fish consumption with Omega-3s- probably helped with human evolutionary brain development.
    But our brains are still fueled by glucose - it is "the only fuel normally used by brain cells". So complex carbohydrates are brain-healthy, not the opposite.
    http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/carbs.html

Low carb diets are linked with decreased exercise capacity and increased fatigue:
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/scni18a3.htm