I don't want to eat up my calories burned from working out

Options

Replies

• lafilleavectoi
    lafilleavectoi Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    First off caps doesnt necessarily mean she is angry, who are we to judge. I personally agree with her. If you are burning extra calories if she eats them or not is up to her. If she is feeling weak and dragging she will know she needs to eat more. Her body will let her know. I had the same convo yesterday. I am working out hard burning tons of calories or so the apps say. I am not unrealistic, I know that the counts arent accurate (they are higher then they should be) It is simply a way to track, have a general idea. Why is everyone so upset. People have to try thing out and just because it doesnt work for you it doesnt mean it wont for her. Why cant we just be supportive and kind. Offer your opinion in a nice way.

YES!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    If you dont want to eat them back then dont. if you do, do. thats it.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back, I mean the idea is to lose the weight so by putting the calories back in that you burned are you really burning them? You're replacing what you worked off.... so, in a sense you're really hitting a stalemate

Seriously? Is it that hard to understand that your deficit is already built into mfp's guidelines on daily calorie consumption? Any exercise you do is considered extra calories earnt, so your free to eat them. It won't harm your losses and if anything it will help you. If your eating 1200 a day and burn off 400 through exercise your netting a measly 800 cals daily. Hardly enough to feed a small child. Why is this so difficult to comprehend?
  • hoosierlad
    hoosierlad Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like the option of eating up some of my "earned" calories if I get the urge. However, I can see the benefit of not doing it as long as you are not always hungry and are supporting your body (exercise) , through good nutrition. I sometimes hear from people that working out makes them hungry (want to eat more), or they get "so tired" they can't work out. You just have to be careful to not be too much of a Spartan on the eating side, and then expect your body to still stress itself, and recover, when exercising. My 2 cents :-)
  • MrsElyshaGunn
    Options
    OMG, enough with the people saying she is starving herself, how ridiculous are you guys - Have 1 treat day a week, where you eat extra calories or higher carbs or whatever where you don't work out, and you will help pass over your plateau - the people who are saying you are starving yourself are annoying. Just have a protein shake after your work out and your body won't think it's starving itself - you want to be NEGATIVE calories, not eat htem all back, you will take twice as long. If you aren't hungry for extra don't eat it, if you are do it. The people freaking out should just relax. Every body is different, and just because you don't eat them back doesn't mean you won't get results, you need to just say am i hungry? yes, or no, and go based on that. Eat a lot of protein and you will be okay.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I have to leave this thread. It's unbelievably frustrating. Starvation is not the way to sustainable weight loss.
  • hoosierlad
    hoosierlad Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I AGREE WITH YOU....PEEPS SHOULD READ AND UNDERSTAND THE MESSAGE BEFORE JUMPING TO CONCLUSION THAT CAPS ARE YELLING. MY KEYBOARD SOUNDS THE SAME WHEN KEYING IN lower case OR CAPITAL LETTERS...HOW WE GET SO SILLY...HOPE THIS DIDN'T HURT ANYONE'S EARS ! :-p:
  • MrsElyshaGunn
    Options
    Well check out "jesz124" picture - I htink she is doing just fine without your opinion. People on here who make other people seem like idiots are rude. We all got chubby on here, so do we really have the right to judge? Obviously we aren't that perfect, or else we wouldn't need it to begin with. No person is the same. It's trial and error for everyone. So why doesn't everyone stop being so judgemental. IF she doesn't want to eat them back, mind your business.
  • 1newcat
    1newcat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I found this thread a bit disheartening. This is all a bit new to me (and I thought *Introduce yourself* was a newcomers forum... so to ask new person questions shouldn't be a big deal let alone treating someone like they're an idiot for it. I guess everyone who is frustrated by this (and the followup discussions) arrived to this site a fitness expert with no questions at all. If it makes you feel stronger or better for putting those of us with questions down, perhaps you have more than your physique that needs to be worked on.
  • jasper4848
    jasper4848 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think that you do what works, and when you hit a plateau you switch it up. I am doing what you are doing and will see if it is enough calories or not. I am not really sure any "one" science works for everyone. Keep on working out and enjoying the benefits of that! You are doing great and keep us posted on your progress!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If you are happy and functioning okay on what you are eating then go for it.
    If you get "The Munchies" after exercise (I do more after a choir rehearsal than I do after a gym session) then thre is always celery.

Ignore the "You don't want to do it like that" morons/bullies here. also ignore anyone who answers your perfectly reasonable question with a diatribe about your cerebral function, parentage or whatever.

Seek fulfillment in your daily activities and do not get dispirited by those for whom life is not complete withoutundermining the morale or progress of others.

MFP is stupid - at times. Use it as a tool when it helps and ignore it when it is an *kitten*. It is free after all. Use it but don't let it rule your life entirely
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If I say that I eat 1200 a day and don't eat back my exercise calories, then I get flamed, ( not by my friends, but the random posters on the forums)
    so I decided to do this math-

my TDEE is 1700. I want to lose around 1.5 pounds per week, so I subtract 700 calories (1000)
    I average 1400 net calories burned in a week, so I 'eat back' 200 calories per day. 1000+200= 1200 total per day.

See what I did there?:flowerforyou:
  • 1newcat
    1newcat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you are happy and functioning okay on what you are eating then go for it.
    If you get "The Munchies" after exercise (I do more after a choir rehearsal than I do after a gym session) then thre is always celery.

Ignore the "You don't want to do it like that" morons/bullies here. also ignore anyone who answers your perfectly reasonable question with a diatribe about your cerebral function, parentage or whatever.

Seek fulfillment in your daily activities and do not get dispirited by those for whom life is not complete withoutundermining the morale or progress of others.

MFP is stupid - at times. Use it as a tool when it helps and ignore it when it is an *kitten*. It is free after all. Use it but don't let it rule your life entirely

Well said!
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    I have to leave this thread. It's unbelievably frustrating. Starvation is not the way to sustainable weight loss.
    One persons' "starvation" is another person's diet plan - if it frustrates you then please feel free to exercise your democratic right to walk away - QUIETLY!
  • psavage07
    Options
    I don't enter them either for the same reason. I never seem to be able to eat what I'm allowed and are always under my calories for the day and I eat 5 times a day.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    If I say that I eat 1200 a day and don't eat back my exercise calories, then I get flamed, ( not by my friends, but the random posters on the forums)
    so I decided to do this math-

my TDEE is 1700. I want to lose around 1.5 pounds per week, so I subtract 700 calories (1000)
    I average 1400 net calories burned in a week, so I 'eat back' 200 calories per day. 1000+200= 1200 total per day.

See what I did there?:flowerforyou:
    Move over - we'll barbecue (low Calorie) kebabs on those flames.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    I have an MFP fiend who regularly runs 5K and 10K jaunts (mad fool! - there's always buses) and records them as 1 Cal just so the MFP Calorie Police can't haul her over.

Otherwise, if you don't mind MFP writing you off as a lazy slob then just don't tell it you exercised.

(In case anyone hasn't noticed, the self-righteous, patronising atitudes that this Original Premise has been greeted with have pi$$ed me off somewhat)
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I found this thread a bit disheartening. This is all a bit new to me (and I thought *Introduce yourself* was a newcomers forum... so to ask new person questions shouldn't be a big deal let alone treating someone like they're an idiot for it. I guess everyone who is frustrated by this (and the followup discussions) arrived to this site a fitness expert with no questions at all. If it makes you feel stronger or better for putting those of us with questions down, perhaps you have more than your physique that needs to be worked on.

Couldn't have said it better!!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I'M BRINGING UP THIS TOPIC B/C A FEW PEOPLE SEEM TO BE CONCERNED THAT I'M "STARVING" MY BODY B/C I'M NOT EATING UP MY WORKOUT CALORIES. I KNOW THAT THE "BEST" WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT AND KEEP IT OFF IS TO ONLY LOSE 1-2 LBS A WEEK (500 CAL DEFICIT/DAY). I ALSO KNOW THAT WEIGHT LOSS IS A SIMPLE EQUATION. YOU HAVE TO CREATE A CALORIE DEFICIT! YOU CAN DO THIS BY LOWERING YOU CALORIES/INCREASING YOUR WORKOUT. MY QUESTION IS, IF I BUST MY HUMP BURNING AN EXTRA 700 CALORIES WHY WOULD I WANT TO EAT THOSE CALORIES? I DON'T THINK ANYONE WAS BEING MEAN ONLY CONCERNED. I HAVE ALSO TALKED TO SEVERAL PPL WHO DON'T EVEN RECORD THEIR CALORIES BURNED FOR THIS REASON. JUST CURIOUS WHAT YOU ALL THINK?

Then don't Shouty McShouterson
    lol cracked me up!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    beat_dead_horse2.jpg
    lmso!
This discussion has been closed.