Healthy diet, no vegetables???

Options
123457»

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    There are very few absolutes in nutrition, but veggies ain't optional.

False. There are cultures that eat very few, if any plant material and are healthy.
  • MitchV969
    Options
    Get over it, suck it up, learn to love vegetables.....that is all I have heard all my life, and now here again!!! I don't know what the original persons reasons are for not eating vegetables" but mine are due to either deep issues in my head that I have tried for many years to overcome. When I eat any vegetable raw or cooked, and yes I have tried many my gag reflex kicks in and I throw up, the taste, texture not sure but I just CANT do it. I am fully aware of the impact this has on me, and the extreme difficulty it is to lose weight without vegetables. You don't think I would love to just make a salad!!!?? Yes absolutely, it's embarrassing, and extremely frustrating. So just saying those phrases at the beginning, are no help, and almost ignorant. To me it's like telling a gay person to suck it up and just be with a person from the opposite sex!
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I do agree with the rest of the posts, but like you I don't _really_ care for vegetables. But, I always wondered are they _really_ necessary to consume directly because there are some groups of people who don't consume vegetables because their habitats don't provide it for them. They mostly consume animals, so are they _really_ necessary since some groups have clearly evolved and survived without consuming 8 or so servings or fruits and veggies a day.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm on keto diet so all the veggies I actually really liked (tomatoes, peas, carrots, beans, onions) I'm not allowed to have or very limited quantities. Most other veggies I don't like.... And I absolutely can't stand raw vegetables... So I dislike salads. For breakfast I have scrambled eggs, so I throw in some spinach, broccoli, red pepper into it and barely taste it.

Since i am on keto it is high fat, I can make cheese sauce and put it over everything, or just fry kale in a bunch of bacon fat. And even though it sounds like a lie (believe me I thought it was BS too) the more you eat it the less disgusting it tastes, until eventually you actually start liking it.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Chop them up fine and stick them into your meals. I never liked most vegetables (I still don't like a lot of them) but I tried cooking them certain ways and found that I do like them just only a certain way. Play around with trying them differently, whether it be cooking style or seasoning.

For example, I don't like raw cauliflower but I love it roasted w/ some garlic salt, olive oil, & pepper or mashed up.

I don't like veggies much so I really mince the veggies into my chicken, meat... you know. It does give the food a good flavor and once it's cooked you can't even feel them in the food. Gotta find ways like them. :flowerforyou:
  • arrielle10
    Options
    Season them,
    Rosemary is good, basil,

Steam chop find a way
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Ok I dislike cauliflower, but I just made a cauliflower pizza tonight and it was awesome. You do not taste cauliflower (maybe slight slight hint of it, but quickly gets lost with the cheese)
    I don't know how many normal people this would serfe... I eat the whole thing, but I could see serving 2 people.
    Recipe
    1lb cauliflower florets
    1 egg
    1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese or Parmesan cheese (or mix of both)
    2 tsp of your favourite spices (I used Italian herbs)
    Pinch of cayenne pepper if want a bit of a kick
    1/2 tsp of salt (May want to reduce or skip on salt if using Parmesan cheese, I didn't need it)
    1/2 tsp pepper

Grind cauliflower in food processor until quinoa consistency
    Microwave for 8 min
    Preheat oven to 450
    Let cool until it can be handled (I put in freezer to speed up the cool down)
    Put in cheesecloth or towel and squeeze out every last drop of water. This can take a while, took me 5 min of squeezing
    Mix in all the rest of the ingredients

Put parchment paper on baking tray, spray parchment paper with cooking oil.
    Form cauliflower dough on parchment paper into pizza crust approx 3/8 inch thick
    Bake in oven for 10 min, flip over bake for another 5
    Place regular pizza toppings on crust and bake in oven for 8 min or when toppings cooked (I usually bake for 6 min and broil for 2)
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I did not read through all 6 pages to see if anyone suggested this already. Start buying spices! They aren't that expensive, I get dried ones since they last longer. Fresh herbs are great as well, though you do have to use them quickly or freezing them is an option. Like I said, I get dried spices and they make all the difference in foods you don't like. I don't know if anyone is born LOVING vegetables the way we can LOVE other foods. What I have done to ensure I eat enough on a daily basis, which I probably don't but I am trying, is figure out which spices I like and try different combinations with vegetables. Here's what I suggest you get to start:

garlic powder
    onion powder
    black pepper
    kosher salt
    chili powder
    cumin
    dill

In my personal, honest opinion, any amounts of these spices, either mixed together or separately will make your vegetables taste amazing. Cumin is a main spice in taco seasoning so it's great. Dill is a big one in Ranch dressing and of course pickles. Garlic is just the most amazing thing ever and while I do love real garlic, sometimes I don't want to peel it and cut it so I use garlc powder. Its pretty strong in this dried form so a little can go a long way. I suggest start with a little spice and taste it, you can always add more but you can't really take any out once it's on your veggies!!! I also suggest reading up on why veggies are good for us and which ones might be best for your specific goals. Then it may not be so difficult to eat them if you know how you will benefit. I know that dark leafy greens are vital to our bodies creating mitochondria. That is the extent of my scientific knowledge for now!! Also, just start small. Get one new veggie that you can at least tolerate, and smother it in cheese or whatever you want. Maybe just use a little less cheese each time you eat it, for example. Small steps are the best moves for lasting changes. Hope this helps!!! Feel free to message me for more spice ideas! I make my own salad dressings all the time and that would be good to have on hand for drizzling, or smothering!!
  • kwiatrtdy
    kwiatrtdy Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My other half is a proper spoilt brat when it comes to food. He had au pairs look after him for all of his childhood who let him get away with murder when it comes to food. He eats proper junk food, so I have started sneaking in healthier alternatives without him noticing. Like instead of normal store bought pasta sauce I make my own. I put in peppers, onions, tomatoes and mushrooms. He absolutely hates mushrooms but I chop them up so fine he hasn't realised I am putting them in his food. Instead of the microwavable burgers he likes to eat for lunchtime I make him burgers on brown baps with quorn burgers and fill it with pretty tasteless vegetables like lettuce so he doesn't realise he is eating the goodness.

He is the prime example of a fussy eater but when you add healthy food subtly he can't tell the difference. It is possible to eat healthier food without sacrificing taste. A lot of vegetables will fit in with meals without you being able to taste the difference.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering if there is anyone else out there like me who really wants to have a great healthy diet but doesn't eat any vegetables? I love potatoes and can eat peas but don't like them very much. Any other vegetable I've tried I don't like. I'm a pretty plain eater but love pasta, eggs, chicken, cheese etc. Any ideas on nice recipes or dishes I can make that's gonna be helpful for weight loss? :) Any advice would be great! :)

Try cooking your veggies in butter - some salt and pepper to boot, might make them more appealing!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    There are very few absolutes in nutrition, but veggies ain't optional.
    :drinker:

try smoothies with vegies in them. try to puree the vegies and sneak them into your recipes or with the meats. by the way potatoes are not really vegetables, they are a starch. you need vegetables in your diet to get the required nutrients for your body systems to function properly. try new vegies and new recipes to see what you may like. You may just not have had them cooked the way you like. You never know until you try. We cant afford to be picky eaters if you we want to be healthy.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ok to be honest I did not read every post so if it's been posted already feel free to skip right over :wink: But I literally just read this two days ago and it is very helpful advice and something that may help you:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/09/04/vegetable-haters-how-to-start-eating-vegetables/#more-23778