Carb Addict!!!!

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm off to do a line of ice cream off a stripper's stomach.

Hum.

Actually, that doesn't sound all that bad . . .

Make sure to log the calories from the glitter.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    Yeah I agree. A lot of our eating patterns are just that--habits. If you want to change a habit, you have to adopt a new behavior. It will seem difficult and unnatural at first because it's something you're not used to doing, but if you repeat the new behavior long enough eventually that becomes second nature.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I'm off to do a line of ice cream off a stripper's stomach.

Hum.

Actually, that doesn't sound all that bad . . .

Make sure to log the calories from the glitter.

I only consume organic unicorn glitter. Since it's organic it has no calories and is just like steroids.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Okay.

Time for a joke.

An actress and a scientist join MFP and a debate over carb addiction ensues. Oh. Wait. That's real life . . .
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm a carb addict, too. Those on this list who think carb addiction is just a sweet tooth, or that it's possible to just 'cut out' carbs for a week or two, just don't know what carb addiction is like. It's not that I crave sweets. I like pasta, pastries, potatoes, pizza, bread, rice, corn,- I guess it's all the white foods we're supposed to resist. I can resist - for about half a day. Then I need to get a carb fix or I get irritable. I could actually list in this post the foods I'm willing to eat, but that would get boring for other readers.

The question is how do you recover from a carb addiction. You can't just stop cold turkey - at least, I can't.

You will have to retrain your brain via your taste buds. I understand that it may not be possible for you to do sugar in moderation but realistically speaking, sugar is in a lot of food groups including fruits and vegetables so you will not be able to cut it out completely. Same goes for starchy carbohydrates.

What you can do is reach for sources of carbohydrates (that includes sugar) that are present in foods with a higher fiber content, for example. Eat a fruit instead of drinking its juice. Eat some wholegrain pasta or brown rice rather than a cupcake or pastry.

The brain can be retrained through new habits. It's called plasticity. Just because you *think* you are addicted to a food doesn't mean you cannot change the habit. It takes work, perseverance, and making different choices.

I don't understand people who say, for example, that they cannot live without chocolate or cannot live without potatoes or cannot live without candy. Yes, you can if you choose to. We can work past most things we don't really allow ourselves to do.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You are talking about SUGAR, not carbs. When I think of carbs, I think of things like rice, veggies, etc. If you go back to starches that you find in nature (i.e. not anything in a box or a wrapper), you'll be fine. Good luck! And don't forget nature's "candy" -- fruit! :drinker:
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    You are talking about SUGAR, not carbs. When I think of carbs, I think of things like rice, veggies, etc. If you go back to starches that you find in nature (i.e. not anything in a box or a wrapper), you'll be fine. Good luck! And don't forget nature's "candy" -- fruit! :drinker:

Sugar IS a carbohydrate.

Fruit is nature's candy with the added benefit of having fiber which most candy does not have.
  • GEMMA_2014
    Options
    I STOPPED MY ADDICTION BY WRITING DOWN HOW MANY TIMES I THOUGHT ABOUT FOOD EVERY DAY. I THEN WROTE DOWN HOW MANY TIMES I ACTED ON MY THOUGHTS. WHEN I SAW HOW MANY TIMES I THOUGHT ABOUT FOOD, I REALIZED IT WAS RIDICULOUS AND I NEEDED TO CHANGE MY THOUGHTS. I DRAMATICALLY REDUCED MY THOUGHTS ABOUT FOOD , WHICH ENABLE TO REDUCE THE NUMBER OF TIMES I IMPULSIVELY ACTED ON IT.

YOU MUST CHANGE YOUR THOUGHTS BEFORE YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR BEHAVIOR. IT HAS WORKED AND I HAVE LOST 130 LBS BY CHANGING MY THOUGHTS AND CONTROLLING MY THOUGHTS.
  • GEMMA_2014
    Options
    I STOPPED MY ADDICTION BY WRITING DOWN HOW MANY TIMES I THOUGHT ABOUT FOOD EVERY DAY. I THEN WROTE DOWN HOW MANY TIMES I ACTED ON MY THOUGHTS. WHEN I SAW HOW MANY TIMES I THOUGHT ABOUT FOOD, I REALIZED IT WAS RIDICULOUS AND I NEEDED TO CHANGE MY THOUGHTS. I DRAMATICALLY REDUCED MY THOUGHTS ABOUT FOOD , WHICH ENABLE TO REDUCE THE NUMBER OF TIMES I IMPULSIVELY ACTED ON IT.

YOU MUST CHANGE YOUR THOUGHTS BEFORE YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR BEHAVIOR. IT HAS WORKED AND I HAVE LOST 130 LBS BY CHANGING MY THOUGHTS AND CONTROLLING MY THOUGHTS.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options

This is what sugar looks like naturally...

35kvhb6.jpg

Sugarcane.

Or...

9qfwjq.jpg

Sugar beet.

"Nature's candy" indeed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in….for carb addiction stories...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    did not read the whole thread…here is my two cents..

1. OP you are not addicted to carbs.
    2. Get some control over your diet and exercise some willpower
    3. you are more than likely restricting yourself. Stop labeling foods "good" and "bad"….this leads you to end up binging on said foods.
    4. Follow the 80/20 rule…80% healthy; 20% whatever you want - ice cream, pizza, etc
    5. you can eat carbs and lose weight. I eat 30% carbs and maintain 11-12% body fat…

over eating makes you gain weight, under eating makes you lose weight..

stop blaming carbs for your dietary failure and man up….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Do you eat your cake and cookies in the bathroom stall too?

I finally feel less alone

youre not alone.

though i had to switch to vanilla frosted cake...i had an unfortunate......"incident" while eating in a bathroom stall

Will you sponsor me and hold my hand?

Or just hold me.....yeah, just hold me. I'll feed you cake in the stall.

Anything you want

im here for you.

no really...open the front blinds. im *here* for you. *with* you....

you have not had a carb addiction until you wake up one morning and realize you sold your house for carbs, and sold the kids to a guy named quan who lives in Thailand….true store, happened to me…don't eat carbs.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie I totally thought this said you were a CRAB addict. It was much more interesting thinking you couldn't have your insane desire for crustaceans satiated.

:flowerforyou: I thought it would be much more interesting, too. And it's crab season here in SF. Had some tasty crab in a Thai dish Friday and leftovers yesterday. Going for more fresh crab tomorrow, I think. But I am not addicted. I am not.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Detox. Srsly. Give yourself a couple of weeks off of the sugar. Instead, eat whole grains and fruit. It'll get easier.

Fruit contains sugar too, how is that 'detox'?

The sugar in a little debbie is not the same sugar you get from a fresh fruit. One has completely empty unnatural sugars your body will turn immediately into toxic fat because your body isn't sure what to do with it, the other is nutrient rich and immediately burnable. Plus fruit contains fiber that aides in digestion where a little debbie just "sticks to your thighs".

oh really? please explain the magical properties of fruit sugar as opposed to regular sugar…they both come from the same source and look the same at the molecular level...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Detox. Srsly. Give yourself a couple of weeks off of the sugar. Instead, eat whole grains and fruit. It'll get easier.

The sugar in a little debbie is not the same sugar you get from a fresh fruit. One has completely empty unnatural sugars your body will turn immediately into toxic fat because your body isn't sure what to do with it, the other is nutrient rich and immediately burnable. Plus fruit contains fiber that aides in digestion where a little debbie just "sticks to your thighs".

If someone is an alcoholic does it matter if the alcohol comes from wine or tequilla?

hey, you stole my line…!

or a better one…if you are addicted to crack, does that mean you can snort cocaine..because cocaine is "natural"(from a plant) but crack is cooked???
  • anastasiasmirror
    Options
    I'm new at this, but I'd say taper off. Most "drugs" you are supposed to do that with anyway.. I mean take cigs for example. many people taper off or use substitutes like nicotine gum. and also., like. if i were to get off my antidepressant, my psych doc would make me taper off of that too! cause if carbs are like a drug, you can get side effects if you just quit all together. maybe! IDK!
  • Delta1229
    Options
    I am also a huge carboholic, especially right before bed:) Lately I ignore my cravings until I feel like I'm gonna cave then I go for snap peas. They are sweet and crunchy so it helps me curb the need to munch at night as well as my need for sweets. I eat them right from the bag like potato chips and it has been working so far!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

ED are a mental illness. Not an addiction issue. I have great respect for what you have gone through, having issues of my own. However, it is harmful to classify mental illness in the context of an addiction to food. Your struggles were the result of an untreated mental illness. :flowerforyou:

I can't agree with you. First, I wish you'd stop being so condescending, it's "harmful" to treat people with disrespect because you have a different opinion of something. We are all adults here and responding with respect is so much more constructive.

Let me respond to this new rebuttal with the resources you've asked for. According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse, addiction is (like you've classified ED) is a mental disorder. By definition "Addiction changes the brain, disturbing the normal hierarchy of needs and desires". This is pretty much what ED is.. even by your definition. Having experienced it to a life threatening degree myself? I know what the symptoms were like... You go though the same steps a drug addict does. Lying, denial, relapses, it's not as cut and paste as it appears you're trying to make it sound. Experts across the nation are likening it to addiction, people who study this clinically and unless you happen to be a doctor? I'm inclined to take their word for it. Just one link of many to proof: http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20538012,00.html

Thank you for respecting what I've gone though, but KNOWING what I've gone though is an incredibly different scenario.

To address your other statement... All I had written was taken directly word for word from the resources I found. Wikipedia (one how sugar is processed) Dr. David Reuben (again a doctor, vs. random person/blog on the internet), Joy Dubost, R.D (nutritionist). All of them state that the way fruit and fruit sugars are used are different then candy and cakes sugars. One comes with nutrients the other does not... one is refined sugar is highly concentrated and has additional chemicals. I never said the chemical compound was changed, it's obviously still sugar, but how it's processed impedes the calcium in your system from repairing bones. This was a direct quote from a doctor... and I've absolutely done my research. I'm not saying you have not? But what information we are supplied is what we have to go on and there are so many varied studies and opinions it's difficult to know what is ever right (hell 5-7 years ago eggs were bad).. Anyway, despite all of this no one is going to tell me that Twinkies are better or equal to apples, I know how my body feels reacting to each over those and only one of them is a big No No.

But, like I said, have your win. As much as I enjoy debating, I prefer doing it with people who are open to talking with each other respectfully vs. battling each other with an air of patronizing superiority. This is about helping others not insulting their intelligence.

No one is insulting your intelligence. I am simply asking you to back up the claims that you have made here (which you are apparently unable to do). Doctor's opinions don't count as evidence. I'd really like to know about the sugar-calcium phenomenon and am still waiting for you on that.

The only condescension I have seen was coming from you. And yes, the relationship you seem to have with food IS dangerous because you are demonizing it in ways that are illogical and unfounded. I hate to see people trying to infect others with their own food fears. Food is neither good nor bad. It is fuel, pure and simple. Our emotional attachments to it can sometimes be problematic, especially if there are deeper pathologies involved, as in the case of eating disorders.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options

If someone is an alcoholic does it matter if the alcohol comes from wine or tequilla?

hey, you stole my line…!

or a better one…if you are addicted to crack, does that mean you can snort cocaine..because cocaine is "natural"(from a plant) but crack is cooked???

Right. This is exactly why some people's genetic make up, or eating habits, can't handle "all things in moderation" which seems to be the general rule here. It's the exact same thing as telling an alcoholic that vodka is bad but wine is okay as long as he/she doesn't go beyond one glass.

If the OP has an issue with being a "carboholic" then heck, reduce the carbs/sweet foods or, at the very least, modify where you are getting your carbs from so you include more fiber and less snacky crap. Moderation does not work for everyone.