i love my cheese

Options
12346»

Replies

• Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    <<-- eats cheese about every day... love mozz cheese sticks laughing cow cottage and sharp Cheddar
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    gave up cheese 13 weeks ago, didn't think I could do it as I loved it, don't miss it actually, it was pretty easy ...and I ate alot of it! so try to cut it out, you never know!..I just found if its not there in the fridge I'm not going for it obviously lol
  • imadyer
    imadyer Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Only buy the expensive cheeses. That way you'll always remember to savor/appreciate it.

That's what I do! Savor small portions of the expensive Smoked Gouda and it makes life good :happy:
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Only buy the expensive cheeses. That way you'll always remember to savor/appreciate it.

That's what I do! Savor small portions of the expensive Smoked Gouda and it makes life good :happy:

I agree with this. If you really like cheese, buy an expensive kind you like, and enjoy with fruit, crackers, wine etc. Make it an enjoyable snack that satisfies your taste for cheese and is still in line with your calorie goals.

As far as those who are lactose intolerant, my husband is lactose intolerant, and STILL can enjoy good quality aged cheese. Our favorite is the Trader Joe's Toscano soaked in Syrah. Its amazing!!! I only put about 1 oz on a sandwich, or 1 oz. with crackers.

I think all foods in moderation is the key to long term success. If you deprive yourself, you may one day sit down and scarf down an entire pizza or something else. Better to enjoy things in small doses.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Here

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/lactose-intolerance

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm

I'd like to see some percentages of the human population allergic to cats, peanuts, ect since you thought it was a comparable number, if so that's very interesting.

Well first off, these two articles give two different numbers as far as the percentage of people that are supposed to be lactose intolerant, and both differ with your 70% as stated above. But I do appreciate you posting these and I read these articles and several more on the subject.

Secondly, we are discussing cheese, not milk. There is a difference in the amount of lactose in both of these products and it is significantly less in cheese. Many people that have lactose intolerance can eat a variety of cheese because the amount of lactose in cheese is reduced both during production of cheese and in the aging process.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactose-intolerance/DS00530/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

Lactose intolerance is a deficiancy of lactase. Lactase actually is a naturally occuring enzyme in raw milk that helps in the breakdown of lactose, but is destroyed in the pasteurizing process. A deficiency in lactase is most prevalent in adults as both of your articles point out. Lactase production drops off as we reach adulthood. Often this is due to the change in diet and milk is no longer a main source of our nutrition. If we are eating a balanced diet, our need for the nutrients found in milk is less critical because we get them in so many other foods. In infancy and childhood, milk is a major source of nutrition and is very beneficial in development. As adults we no longer need milk, but most of us still love it! :smile: That being said, it isn't a great alarm that so many people are lactose intolerant.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactose-intolerance/DS00530/DSECTION=causes

Milk fat contains the best fatty acids necessary for brain development. For this reason I really do not understand why everyone thinks we need to give children skim millk, but that is a completely different discussion.

Lastly, I never stated that people allergic to cats, nuts, and penicillin was comparable to your number of the population that cannot digest milk. I only stated it was a large number. I wont state an actual figure unless I've done my "research". I forgot to include bees, shellfish and gluten as well.

People that are lactose intolerant cannot always eat cheese without issue, in fact I have never met a person who is lactose intolerant that can eat cheese without discomfort because although the amount of lactose may be less, it's still there, that person is still lactose intolerant.

Also, frankly you do not need to give children cow's milk period. Cow's milk is not crucial to human brain development.

/sigh. My girlfriend is lactose intolerant. She eats more cheese then anyone I know. This does not mean that all people who are lactose intolerant can eat cheese but you can't say "I don't know anyone who..." and it is automatically fact.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    :heart: cheese

I weigh mine so I can see exactly what I am getting.
  • DeborahBatewell
    DeborahBatewell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I buy Cabot 50% reduced fat pepper jack, Cabot 75% reduced fat cheddar cheese, and laughing cow 50% reduced fat cheese wedges. I love my cheese too, but I eat only a serving at a time. Everything in moderation.
  • Keena1947
    Options
    I love cheese too! I try to stick to 2 or even 1 percent cheeses. Laughing cow, mozerelle cheese sticks, etc. Try not to eat cheese everyday but when I really get an urge go with some of these.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Cheese makes cheese....on your thighs!

But I ain't gonna lie, I love my cheese (not the ones on my thighs)...

I eat a string cheese everyday (Weight Watchers Smoked Cheddar) and every now and then indulge in full fat sharp cheddars such as Helluva Good, Laughing Cow, Yancy's Nancys and Cracker Barrel. Life is too short to worry about how much cheese I am eating.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I had cheese everyday this weekend.. and probably half of them last week..

Nothing wrong with it in moderation.

I move Mozzarella and Pepper jack and feta and blue and cheddar and colby and gouda and buffalo and etc.. LOL
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love sharp cheddar especially. I manage cheese by cutting it into 1 oz cubes or bricks upon opening it - then portion control is much easier for me. I eat some type of cheese every day. Generally I am not a fan of low fat versions, but I have found one which I like in a very specific way (plus, it's fine in cooking). Cabot 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese. I slice my 1 oz up and put it in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Since there isn't as much fat in it, it doesn't get all greasy, but will toast and brown slightly. Let it get firm enough to flip your "cheese pancake" over and toast the other side. I will leave it chewy sometimes, or go to crispy. Slice into wedges and eat as a flavorful snack - 70 calories, 8 grams protein. 1 gram fat, 5 grams carbs. Fixing it this way, it is actually preferable to use the low fat version over the full fat (I've done both!)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Here

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm

I'd like to see some percentages of the human population allergic to cats, peanuts, ect since you thought it was a comparable number, if so that's very interesting.

Well first off, these two articles give two different numbers as far as the percentage of people that are supposed to be lactose intolerant, and both differ with your 70% as stated above. But I do appreciate you posting these and I read these articles and several more on the subject.

Secondly, we are discussing cheese, not milk. There is a difference in the amount of lactose in both of these products and it is significantly less in cheese. Many people that have lactose intolerance can eat a variety of cheese because the amount of lactose in cheese is reduced both during production of cheese and in the aging process.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactose-intolerance/DS00530/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

Lactose intolerance is a deficiancy of lactase. Lactase actually is a naturally occuring enzyme in raw milk that helps in the breakdown of lactose, but is destroyed in the pasteurizing process. A deficiency in lactase is most prevalent in adults as both of your articles point out. Lactase production drops off as we reach adulthood. Often this is due to the change in diet and milk is no longer a main source of our nutrition. If we are eating a balanced diet, our need for the nutrients found in milk is less critical because we get them in so many other foods. In infancy and childhood, milk is a major source of nutrition and is very beneficial in development. As adults we no longer need milk, but most of us still love it! :smile: That being said, it isn't a great alarm that so many people are lactose intolerant.

Milk fat contains the best fatty acids necessary for brain development. For this reason I really do not understand why everyone thinks we need to give children skim millk, but that is a completely different discussion.

Lastly, I never stated that people allergic to cats, nuts, and penicillin was comparable to your number of the population that cannot digest milk. I only stated it was a large number. I wont state an actual figure unless I've done my "research". I forgot to include bees, shellfish and gluten as well.

People that are lactose intolerant cannot always eat cheese without issue, in fact I have never met a person who is lactose intolerant that can eat cheese without discomfort because although the amount of lactose may be less, it's still there, that person is still lactose intolerant.

Also, frankly you do not need to give children cow's milk period. Cow's milk is not crucial to human brain development.

While it is true that cow's milk is not crucial to human brain development, cholesterol (and the body can synthesize it from other dietary fat) IS crucial for brain development. I repeat what I said earlier. Putting a child on a low-fat diet is a very bad idea.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Here

While it is true that cow's milk is not crucial to human brain development, cholesterol (and the body can synthesize it from other dietary fat) IS crucial for brain development. I repeat what I said earlier. Putting a child on a low-fat diet is a very bad idea.

no one said anything about putting a child on a low fat diet lol
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that even though I really love cheese, eating it less often makes me appreciate it that much more and now I REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY love cheese. Pretty much an orgasm in my mouth now lol
  • carolinelittle
    carolinelittle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I cannot give up cheese. Because I love it! And for me it is one of the best places for me to get the good stuff that is in dairy products as I don't like milk and yoghurt. I am of the belief everything in moderation. Enjoy your cheese, just make sure it fits in well with your overall days.