Does the weight loss count if they had surgery?

Options
124»

Replies

• Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    Yes they still lost weight. It was much much much easier for them, but honestly I'd rather put in the hard work than get surgery. I'm terrified of surgery so they have more guts than i do lol!
    You really need to speak to someone that has had surgery,
    I had a VSG done beginning of Nov.

Was it easy, heck no!

I worked for a year to get my diet and exercise to where I needed to be, I went to counseling, met with dietitians, nurses, doctors and more. I worked every waking moment to get my problems in order.

Once I had the surgery I had to learn how to eat again, how much I can eat, what to eat and when.
    I can tell you surgery is not much, much, much easier than doing it without, it is hard work everyday, we just have a tool that prevents us from falling into our own ways.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Having struggled to lose weight and maintain it for years and years part of me would love some surgical help (but I wouldn't be eligible). Surgical help is not an easy option, I believe, with all the risks involved etc. I therefore consider that any weight lost, whether or not there has been surgical intervention, should be celebrated.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    whatever
  • Speedtrap
    Options
    whatever

I am sorry you look at it that way,
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    whatever

Huh? I edited my response. I just didn't want to put "..." as my edit. :)
  • lilmsmayberry
    lilmsmayberry Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes they still lost weight. It was much much much easier for them, but honestly I'd rather put in the hard work than get surgery. I'm terrified of surgery so they have more guts than i do lol!

The decision to have a weight loss surgery is not easy and the weight loss with it is hard work. Unless you have done it you can't compare it or even put a blanket statement like you did on it.
  • Speedtrap
    Options
    whatever

Huh? I edited my response. I just didn't want to put "..." as my edit. :)

I was responding to your post, but then I posted it had changed.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Yes, it counts. I haven't had surgery but I know people who have and it is not easy. It's also not easy to keep the weight off. They go through the same struggles we do.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Heck yes it counts. It's hard work! I lost 47 pounds before my sleeve surgery between 2/1/12 -6/11/12 and have lost 77 since surgery on 6/11/12. WLS is just a tool not a magic wand. You have to change your lifestyle and what you put into your mouth. I exercise 80 or minutes a day and have just joined a gym to up my cardio and work on the weight machines. I had WLS cause I have tried to loose weight my entire life. I knew I was obese and I knew I was eating too much so I wasn't uneducated as some one suggested. I was born fat and have been my entire life! I did it for my health. My knee is so much better now after going from 270 pounds to 146 and I am not done yet. I want to get to 130-140. Then maintain. I know it won't be easy to maintain and I have to put into action everything I have done in the last year to maintain. If I slip back into bad habits and don't exercise the weight will come back on. Weight loss surgery and the process before is not easy. Anyone that thinks it is has no idea what a person goes through to be approved for surgery by a bariatric program. They screen out the people that aren't serious about it and almost all people have it to help with medical issues. At least that is how it was with my baritatric program.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Yes it counts. The weight was lost in a different way obviously, but never the less it is gone.

I think keeping it off will be harder than a person who worked hard for a year to burn it off.
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Nope, doesn't count - I was automatically disqualified from the game of Life.

As we all know with any weight loss surgery, I picked up the phone one day cause I was feeling too lazy from sitting on my *kitten* eating bonbons and didn't feel like working out, and said, "sign me up for Gastric Bypass'. That was a Tuesday - on Thursday I went in and had surgery and came out a svelte 150lbs with a rockin' hard body that would be the envy of any runway model. It was such a piece of cake....ha...cake! I cheated but I am ok with that cause I cheated having my kids - nope, no kids gonna come out of my vajayjay the old fashioned way - I got that positive pregnancy test at home and called up my OB/Gyn and said, hey schedule me for major surgery 9 months from now and let's get this kid out like a slice of toast popping out of the toaster! And then I did the same thing with pregnancy #2.

Seriously? Count for what?

Weight loss in weight loss.

I don't go around judging others for the methods they use - be it Atkins, Weight Watchers, prescription medications, crazy over the counter medications endorsed by the likes of Anna Nicole Smith, supplements pimped out by tv celebrity Dr.'s, etc.

I worked my *kitten* off before surgery and I continue to do so. To insinuate I cheated or that I took an easy way out is a major insult. At my highest this past summer (2012) my weighted reached a disgusting 357lbs. I had sleep apnea. I was a new diabetic. I had chronic pain. I had high blood pressure. I couldn't walk more than a few minutes without feeling like my lungs were going to collapse. I couldn't get down on the floor and play with my kids (ages 5 and 8) without needing a crane to haul my fat *kitten* back up. I couldn't cross my legs. I couldn't wear my wedding rings. I couldn't take a bathe (yes, I showered). I wasn't living - I was existing and that is all.

I began the process in January of 2012. I had many appointments with my PCP, the Bariatic Surgeon, the dietitian, the psychiatrist and psychologist, physical therapist, etc. And on August 14th I began my 2 week preop liquid diet. I started that at 346lbs. On the morning of surgery, August 28th, 2012, I weighed 328.2lbs. I had Gastric Bypass surgery. The evening of my surgery I was up doing laps around the floor I was on. I wasn't about to sit back and not get started on my new life. Surgery was Tuesday - I came home Thursday - on the way home we stopped and walked around ToysRUs with my kids for an hour. I got up Friday morning and immediately started walking 30 minutes on the treadmiill. Every month I attend a support group & actually started a support group on FB so that we could keep in touch during the month as well and not have to wait for our monthly meeting if we have questions.

Since surgery I have lost 71lbs (100lbs total) I've gone down 5 pants sizes and 3 top sizes. I've lost 44 inches. I can wear my wedding rings again. I can take a bubble bath. I can cross my legs. I can run with my kids. I get down on the floor to exercise. I am no longer diabetic. I no longer have high blood pressure. I no longer have sleep apnea. My chronic pain is pretty much non existent.

I aim to get at least 30 minutes of purposeful exercise every day. Last week I started the C25K program - I also ride my recumbent bike every single day. I also use the Wii Fit, Jililan Micheals work out DVDs, Pilates DVD's, etc. Lately I am averaging about 50 minutes of exercise every day. I work hard every single day.

I eat healthy normal meals albeit small meals. Every single thing that enters my mouth is tracked. Every piece of food is weighed on my food scales. Every label is read. I track it all.

So yes, I worked and continue to work damn hard. Unlike the average person, I can't take a break if I want and eat half a pie and get back on the wagon so to speak tomorrow - every day is eating healthy. I haven't had soda in a year. I haven't had alcohol in a year. I gave up 95% of caffeine - only time I have caffeine is in my sugar free hot cocoa.

This surgery is a tool and like any tool you have to use it properly or it will fail. I have no intentions of failing. I didn't do this to waste my time or my surgeon's time.

I've got my life back and my family has a mom/wife who is much healthier and every single day continues to get healthier. If that makes me a cheater and my weight loss doesn't count, then so be it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Does liposuction count?