Anyone heard of the blood type diet? What's your take?

Options
124»

Replies

• Raybug0903
    Raybug0903 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Good topic. I have never tried it personally, but my grandmother who is 80 years old has been on it since October of 2012 and has has great success. She has lost 7 pounds (even though she really didn't need to lose any weight), reports feeling much better with no indigestion, no bloating, and tons more energy. She's had breast cancer, sarcoma cancer, and neurofibromyalgia in her lifetime, and she is the healthiest elderly person I have ever seen.

She is using the book "Eat Right for Your Type." I recently gave her "Cook Right for Your Type" and she is having fun trying all of the new recipes.

Good luck!

EDIT: On the flip side, I have *heard* that this diet is a load of crap, but typically from people who haven't ever tried it or done any research. I say give it a go, as the foods prescribed for each type are very healthy and the diet as a whole is not unsafe or harmful. Why not try it and see what works for you? Just my 2 cents :)
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    No, but I did go as a sexy dracula for Halloween one year.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    EDIT: On the flip side, I have *heard* that this diet is a load of crap, but typically from people who haven't ever tried it or done any research. I say give it a go, as the foods prescribed for each type are very healthy and the diet as a whole is not unsafe or harmful. Why not try it and see what works for you? Just my 2 cents :)

It really doesn't take much research to see that it's bunk.
    http://www.skepdic.com/bloodtypediet.html
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I've heard about it. My brother mentions it a lot. Apparently, type O does best on plenty of red meat … which is good for me because I love my red meat.

But then I hear that type O should avoid wheat. I eat a lot of wheat. And I've never had a problem with it, either affecting me weight or my digestive health.

I think those that have had success with it, as far as weight loss, are probably cutting out calories as they remove the "no-no" foods. And those who feel better are probably often looking at it through a selective filter: the attribute the feeling better to eating right for their blood type, but in reality it's probably overall better food choices (I don't imagine there's a type that is supposed to eat lots of junk food and refined sugar … cut back on those and you'll probably feel better regardless of blood type).

Ah, and another anecdotal counterexample from this thread and what I've heard: Native Americans supposedly tend towards lactose intolerance, I'm hearing, as do Northern Europeans (especially Scandanavian). But I'm 1/8 Norwegian and 1/16 Mohawk and I have never had problems with milk. Again, I think we're seeing "evidence" from selective reporting.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Uh huh, right. Yes, the success of this plan is purely from people eating specifically for their blood type, and has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they are eating healthier in general. I guarantee, that any person can pick any diet from that book, regardless of blood type, and if that diet improves the quality of the food they are eating (by having them make healthier choices,) their health will improve.

See, it has absolutely nothing to do with blood type, and everything to do with eating better, reducing calories, balancing macros, getting enough vitamins and minerals, etc.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It's like a horoscope for nutrition.
    Oh my, that's it exactly! :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I've heard about it. My brother mentions it a lot. Apparently, type O does best on plenty of red meat … which is good for me because I love my red meat.

But then I hear that type O should avoid wheat. I eat a lot of wheat. And I've never had a problem with it, either affecting me weight or my digestive health.

I think those that have had success with it, as far as weight loss, are probably cutting out calories as they remove the "no-no" foods. And those who feel better are probably often looking at it through a selective filter: the attribute the feeling better to eating right for their blood type, but in reality it's probably overall better food choices (I don't imagine there's a type that is supposed to eat lots of junk food and refined sugar … cut back on those and you'll probably feel better regardless of blood type).

Ah, and another anecdotal counterexample from this thread and what I've heard: Native Americans supposedly tend towards lactose intolerance, I'm hearing, as do Northern Europeans (especially Scandanavian). But I'm 1/8 Norwegian and 1/16 Mohawk and I have never had problems with milk. Again, I think we're seeing "evidence" from selective reporting.

Northern Europeans have a very low incidence of lactose intolerance (2% off the top of my head).
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    That it's balderdash. Yes, I said balderdash. I don't even know what that means, but blood-type diets sound silly. If they were true, we'd all be on them.

agree. pure balderdash

Agreed!
  • mathjulz
    Options

Northern Europeans have a very low incidence of lactose intolerance (2% off the top of my head).

Wow, the misinformation we get from listening to others' opinions! Thanks for the correction!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Southern Europeans, Africans, and Asians tend toward lactose intolerance (Native American Indians came over from Asia, hence their predisposition to lactose intolerance.) And even then, it can vary widely from place to place, due to immigration.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    finger print analysis

spit.gif
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It is well documented that lactose intolerance among Scandinavians is almost zero. So you "heard" wrong.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Yes John Robbins mentioned it and exposes it in his book "The Food Revolution".
  • mathjulz
    Options
    It is well documented that lactose intolerance among Scandinavians is almost zero. So you "heard" wrong.

Like I said, this is what happens when one goes off of "heard" rather than looking it up for oneself! I do feel a bit dumb now :ohwell:

But then it was only anecdotal anyway.
  • assilembob
    assilembob Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The Blood type diet tells me I should eat lots of red meat and dairy.
    I am SEVERELY allergic to Dairy, Eggs, Poultry, Shellfish and Beef.
    Full of crap that diet is.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i started using it now and its amazing. and not everything has to have a scientific background, there is barely any funds going into the naturopathic field, i also drink bottled herbs(which also there is not a lot of research on) but do have true effects, even better then the pharmacy drugs. i think his diet is good because its clean, healthy and strict and all natural/organic. its not really a diet its just a life style. all natural is the best way to go, there is too much of preservatives and chemicals in the things we eat.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    i started using it now and its amazing. and not everything has to have a scientific background, there is barely any funds going into the naturopathic field, i also drink bottled herbs(which also there is not a lot of research on) but do have true effects, even better then the pharmacy drugs. i think his diet is good because its clean, healthy and strict and all natural/organic. its not really a diet its just a life style. all natural is the best way to go, there is too much of preservatives and chemicals in the things we eat.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, William Jennings Bryan.
  • staceycanada
    Options
    I read about this diet first on Dr. Mercola's website. He followed it when he was younger and developed diabetes. Stopped the diet no longer had diabetes. Weight loss is not a good trade off for health.