Why are there so many crabby pants on MFP?

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
I like to go to another site it's just devoted to perfumes and it's fun and light hearted. Noone tells someone that they are wrong because they like this perfume over another. It's just oh great that works for you and your individual skin chemistry.

Why are the forums on MFP so hostile? It's just a weight gain/maitenance/loss tool that has the option of being able to share in a community of others who are interested in the same thing ie. fitness.

But some of these people you would think others have offended their religion when it comes to diet! Holy freakin' mother of whatever diety you worship! Some come on here spouting how this way of weight loss is mornonic others go into bashing whole food groups or saying that someone who is trying really putthing his/her heart and soul into this is doing it wrong. Simple questions that are innocent and someone is really looking for help are torn to shreds.

It's down right dirty and vitriolic the way some people are on this a fitness site! Jeesh, I think we all just need to breathe and put it into prescpective it's just food and excercise.

My two cents, but you know sometimes it's a mistake to come into the forums because they really arent that supportive. I guess it's someone's goal on here to make others feel like incompetent idiots.

Repeat all together...BREATHEEEE!

Replies

• vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    is this another "people are so mean on here" threads?
  • Live2InspireHope
    Live2InspireHope Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    So True and Thanks for Speaking up. i been for few years just found forums last night. they seem ok but some people just looking to hurt others and cause drama
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    YOU'RE SO MEAN!:mad:

Just kidding :smile:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Being hungry makes people grouchy. And when we are losing weight no matter how you spin it, we are depriving our body of some amount of calories.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

Reported for stating the obvious :flowerforyou:
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Some people are mistaking other peoples sense of humor as insults. Its not an insult many times. Its just someone cracking up...... Besides, this IS the "Chit-Chat" "Fun, and Games" catagory.....

Serious stuff, and support, can be found in those other catagorys. : ) There will always be jokers, if your in the "Fun and Games"

Didn't you love Archie Bunker? or Fred Sandford? Some people can be crab-apples and your still going to love em. Maybe it wasn't purposeful to really hurt someone else. Maybe the "Crabby" person thought they were doing the "HSP" (Highly Sensitive Person) a favor... Much as Jillian Michaels would help to tuffen-up the biggest loser a little & develope a "Thicker Skin". When you grow up being overweight, and the underdog, sometimes it makes us a little more sensitive. So sometimes that person who you'd consider the "Crabby Pants" is, in their own way, trying to help the sensitive person, by trying to provoke their fighter instincts. Don't you ever think that?
  • ldrosophila
    Options

It is and I'm just trying to understand the reasoning.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Some people are mistaking other peoples sense of humor as insults. Its not an insult many times. Its just someone cracking up...... Besides, this IS the "Chit-Chat" "Fun, and Games" catagory.....

Serious stuff, and support, can be found in those other catagorys. : ) There will always be jokers, if your in the "Fun and Games"

Didn't you love Archie Bunker? or Fred Sandford? Some people can be crab-apples and your still going to love em. Maybe it wasn't purposeful to really hurt someone else. Maybe the "Crabby" person thought they were doing the "HSP" (Highly Sensitive Person) a favor... Much as Jillian Michaels would help to tuffen-up the biggest loser a little & develope a "Thicker Skin". When you grow up being overweight, and the underdog, sometimes it makes us a little more sensitive. So sometimes that person who you'd consider the "Crabby Pants" is, in their own way, trying to help the sensitive person, by trying to provoke their fighter instincts. Don't you ever think that?

So saying that the way someone is losing weight is "moronic" is them just being playful and helpful?

Plus I put it in the general "chit chat" because it's more of a chit chat topic.
  • Live2InspireHope
    Live2InspireHope Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Shocked how many people think its ok to disrespect some people here. not saying everyone who cracks a joke or says something out of line is attacking or insulting others Crabby or not just surprised by it. i feel its the way of the internet people can say what ever they want since most the time they will never see any of the people they insult.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    9 times out of 10 those who are getting slammed are people who are being told their fad diets are dangerous and/or ineffective and then, as the replies giving them differing advice roll in, get upset and start defending their ill-advised diet plans. It's usually once the OP starts getting snippy that the snark from other members snaps into view. I've very rarely seen anyone straight up go for the throat when it comes to people asking for information. People are just allergic to being told they're wrong.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Perception is a *****.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I like Makeupalley. :)
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    No. I don't think thats playful or helpful to be honest. But I wouldn't be crying over a comment like that either.

But, we can't change peoples core personality. If they are a person who likes to call people morons, thats just who they are. The other person can choose to have it hurt their feelings, or they can just accept the fact, that not everyone in this world is nice and tackful with their words. Do you remember being in grammar school? Not all kids are nice and thoughtful. And not all adults online are nice and thoughtful. Some ARE still bullies. Thats the label they are wearing. Thats all they know how to be. They wouldn't be ones who would apologise for anything. Because they want to be know as the "Tuff Guy" who can't be hurt. Fact is, they have been hurt, pretty severely, thats why they get great pleasure in hurting others.
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    9 times out of 10 those who are getting slammed are people who are being told their fad diets are dangerous and/or ineffective and then, as the replies giving them differing advice roll in, get upset and start defending their ill-advised diet plans. It's usually once the OP starts getting snippy that the snark from other members snaps into view. I've very rarely seen anyone straight up go for the throat when it comes to people asking for information. People are just allergic to being told they're wrong.

this
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

I think so... just worded differently than normal....

Im offended
  • vice350z
    Options
    YOU'RE SO MEAN!:mad:

Just kidding :smile:

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!!

jk :smile:
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    There's a quote a friend of mine has in their forum signature elsewhere.

"Text has a disadvantage of not showing Tone, Humor and Sarcasm. Before you react, take a step back."

Wise words. :)
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options

Reported for stating the obvious :flowerforyou:

reported for reporting for stating the obvious.. obviously
  • vice350z
    Options

I think so... just worded differently than normal....

Im offended

your being offended has offended me. Reported.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I like to go to another site it's just devoted to perfumes and it's fun and light hearted. Noone tells someone that they are wrong because they like this perfume over another. It's just oh great that works for you and your individual skin chemistry.

Wait... There is skin chemistry involved in how perfumes smell on you? How the heck do you know which works and which doesn't? I just assumed if I grabbed one I enjoyed, it would still smell the same when being worn.

Now Im going to obsess about my 3 favorite perfumes :(