#3 Why calorie in calorie out ALONE isnt enough.

Options

Replies

• MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    tampon_zpsa6743642.jpg
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Maybe we've gotten to the root of the difference between a lot of you guys and me...who knows.

I believe the difference is that we reserve our disdain for those who create an account asking for somewhat legitimate advice (asking for information on other calorie counting sites) and then who proceed to spew out personal and direct attacks against not only the site you are using to ASK that question, but the intelligence and appearance of any user that dared respond on that thread. Your continual insistence that you only needed the calorie counting aspect of a site, against others who use social aspects of such sites (and outright statement that those who track exercise are anal and doomed to fail) doesn't make you the prettiest girl at the ball, either.

So yes, quite a difference, I'd say.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    *snips out nonsense*

If there is a desire for parts #4 and #5 ....i'll consider writing them.

There wasn't a desire for this part and you wrote it anyway.

These are all bad theories that have been warned against numerous times on these boards. You're not saying anything we haven't heard.

Meal timing.
    Carbs are bad.
    Insulin resistance.

Calorie counting works. This is a website built around the calorie counting model. It's pretty much the best one out there and has helped TONS of people.

You coming on here, saying it's not about calories but about what kinds of food you eat..

Well we've heard it all before. Many times. We're gonna stick with calorie counting. It's why we're here. And it's working.

Who said carbs are "bad"??? Where did I say IT WASNT ABOUT CALORIES?

Its like a cult on here.....lol.

Lol, do you even read the posts you comment on?

Are you actually saying it makes absolutely no difference when you choose to eat with reference to even working out?

Please please please say yes!!!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Teach me how to Dougie?
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    *SMH*

Wow.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Note1: if you think im a troll bc of some other post please, save yourself the aggravation and simply skip over this post.

If you disagree with my post's content, please SPECIFY a FACTUAL disagreement you have with what ive said (im hardly perfect and will be wrong im sure as I was in phrasing my criticism of strict calorie in/out thinking and mislabeling insulin resistance) and stop littering the forum with nonsense apart from specific points of contention.

Note 2: A lot of what I am writing is sort of being put in non-clinical/academic terms....I admitted that from the outset, but in no way does that mean the underlying concepts are wrong. Please, I am not trying to construct an article for a peer review journal here, so consider that before posting...

Note 3: FOR THE LAST TIME; people who consume less calories than they expend will lose weight. My criticism has to so with CENTERING your weight loss/maintenance JUST on tracking calories in/out bc I DO NOT BELIEVE it to be a very feasible form of weight maintenance in the long term just as someone kindly pointed out already in the previous thread.

Why if I can simply track my calories in and out do you say centering my weight loss/maintenance on solely CI/CO would be problematic?

Well, there are 2 real parts to my answer...1, it is hard to be precise in knowing what your calories out are in a given day/week or month because that number isnt static and those numbers are different for different people. The std deviation (ill try to find the linky) between a simple calculator-derived bmr and a precisely measured one from a lab is usually +- 150-175 Kcals.... a day.

That works out to 1225/1050 Kcals a week or about 17lbs a yr if you average the range.....that isnt negligible at all. That actually is quite huge in terms of weight management. Also, people underestimate the role of activity levels and intense workouts in resting BMR all the times....im sure youve heard the modest claims about how little adding muscle actually burns passively....but have you considered that there is an added activity workload to just maintain those lean pounds and in performing them you have innately raised you caloric expenditures...???

My points is broader than all this; CI/CO is just way too simplistic of a way of looking at our body in the long run....changes happen, activity levels matter and ultimately as we will discuss next, it isnt easy keeping to a calorie limitation for the next 30/40 or 50 yrs without helping yourself by treating the problem....which is....

Most people who have the capacity to become significantly overweight become ravenously hungry at times based on what they are eating and the gaps between feeding times.

NO, IM NOT TALKING TO ALL PEOPLE HERE....Just the people like me who could sit down and eat a box of crispix/rice krispies from a salad bowl bc they simply do achieve satiety through eating simple - often processsed carbs- 2-3 times daily.

For those who do not have this issue, god bless you...you probably can deal with an emotional or medical issue and lose weight fairly easily generally. Use the MFP tools, and enjoy your slim life.

For those who know they have issues with the things ive been talking about the next part is aimed at you/.

So what is it you actually mean regarding CI/CO...can you give me an example?

Yes,

Imagine genetically identical twins both dieting....or attempting to intiate a weight maintenance program:

Twin A- likes waking up and having some simple carbs maybe some milk....then eating half a subway sub for lunch and a bag of baked lays and then a small serving of lasagna and some mashed potatoes for dinner. He has 2 "snacks" consisting of 100Kcal snack bags by a leading snack company that are almost entirely made up of processed carbs.

It is hard, but with support and tonnes of will power he keeps to under X Kcals a day...every day for 6 months and with some added walking he loses 25 lbs.

GREAT!

Twin B- likes to wake up and have some steel cut oatmeal, small bunch of berries, skim milk and some natural PB for breakfast. He then packs himself 2 meals and a snack of light reduced sugar choc milk and a handful of almonds/ skim cheese stick. He splits his meals evenly calorically pretty much but shades simple carb ingestion towards earlier in the day and post workout. He eats a mixture of veggies, whole grains, lean proteins and lean dairy sources with some fruit occasionally but limited to breakfast/post workout.

Twin B engages in CI/CO pretty regularly, but learns to intuitively portion properly and actually finds his hunger to be regular and usually within 1 hour of a meal so manageable. He works out a bit more than Twin A and integrates resistance training 2-3 times a week for 50 mins each session....

Twin B loses 20lb over 6 months...Great!

My question is quite simple:

WHO HAS BEEN MORE SUCCESSFUL?....was it the person who lost the most weight, or the person who has come to understand how to best MANAGE their health, appetite, eating best?

I suppose that is a matter of opinion, but my point should be quite clear; CI/CO is a tool, just a tool. It is not a program to help people learn how to live a healthy lifestyle, maintain their weight loss/ a healthy weight or even relate properly with food IF THEY ARE FACED WITH THE VERY COMMON issues I described above.

Ok, BUT you just conceded that CI/CO will help me lose weight...so what is your beef with it?

Calorie in/Calorie out is PROBLEMATIC because it treats the symptoms of the problem (overeating/under- moving) not the problem itself which is that too many Americans eat low quality foods in the incorrect macronutrtional ratios not often enough during the day. When coupled with inactivity and energy issues (which are also rooted somewhat in the fundamental problem), they gain more and more weight, have less and less energy and often turn towards emotional eating based on guilt/distress over weight gain.

AGAIN, im speaking to a group of people with a distinct problem regarding eating and processed/simple carbs...but I believe this group to make up the bulk of the chronically overweight community. The response we have to certain amounts of simple carbs and certain eating patterns is not necessarily a maladaptation.....but it has become so bc of the very unnatural diet we eat in the west and the very inefficient feeding times we maintain in general.

If there is a desire for parts #4 and #5 ....i'll consider writing them.

Ain't nobody got time for that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/diet-and-weight/

I couldn't get through your really long post, but Harvard would disagree with you.

TLDR either

Read the firs two paragraphs and you will see what I mean.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I reserve these sorts of responses for those who are giving me good romps in bed. Sorry.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    A few too many words, but glad you agree that calories in/calories out works. That was a really long and roundabout way of saying it, though.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I have adult onset ADHD. Can someone give the cliff notes from this novel? Sounds riveting.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    meh, it worked for me
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I have adult onset ADHD. Can someone give the cliff notes from this novel? Sounds riveting.
    Calories in/out works. Also the chick was really a dude lifting heavy the whole time. Something about steel-oats and evil twins.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Are you actually saying it makes absolutely no difference when you choose to eat with reference to even working out?

Again.. it's me who can't read.

I'll play your little game. I'm feeling feisty.

Problem is I have no idea what:
    "Are you actually saying it makes absolutely no difference when you choose to eat with reference to even working out?"
    even means. I don't know how to have a debate with someone who has such trouble forming sentences. If I have trouble understanding what you wrote maybe the problem doesn't lie with me.

If you're asking "can you eat what you want, workout, and still lose weight" the answer is abso-friggin'-lutely. I lost 90lbs doing exactly that. Thanks to MFP.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Hugely long posts, with rules about who can & can't respond denotes an egocentric pompous attitude. What exactly did you hope to accomplish, other than to raise the ire of those you were talking down to???
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    he never answers me.

maybe he has me on ignore.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Huh. Just realized I hadn't seen certain users in awhile...
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I agree--those who are saying "calorie in calorie out" are saying the (real world) equivalent of "if you weren't fat, you wouldn't be so fat". "Move more and eat less" doesn't really explain anything very well because the obvious next question is: "Eat less than what? (I was only eating 1200 calories when I was morbidly obese) Move more than what? I have arthritis and my joints can only handle so much stress and strain. Until I discovered water exercise I didn't think I could exercise (and I still have days when it feels like I am climbing a mountain). I am fifty pounds smaller now and no longer morbidly obese, but until I cut out sugar and wheat, I was going nowhere and the advice to "just eat less and move more" was very unhelpful.

And did you get morbidly obese eating 1200 cals a day? Most likely not.

No, but the weight came on very gradually and I'm sure that you know that just 200 calories more than you need on a daily basis adds a lot of fat over five to ten years or so. And as I gained, my arthritis got worse, so I moved less. I'm not trying to tell anyone that calorie counting doesn't work, but I am telling you that the experience for me and a number of other people is that there are certain foods that trigger problems controlling appetite and contribute to overeating (even if it isn't by much).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I reserve these sorts of responses for those who are giving me good romps in bed. Sorry.

Win
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Again.. it's me who can't read.

I'll play you're little game. I'm feeling feisty.

Problem is I have no idea what:
    "Are you actually saying it makes absolutely no difference when you choose to eat with reference to even working out?"
    even means. I don't know how to have a debate with someone who has such trouble forming sentences. If I have trouble understanding what you wrote maybe the problem doesn't lie with me.

If you're asking "can you eat what you want, workout, and still lose weight" the answer is abso-friggin'-lutely. I lost 90lbs doing exactly that. Thanks to MFP.

Ok, so you didnt read the post....no problem.

Keep eating poptarts in moderation; that will have you thin and happy for life, lol.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Keep eating poptarts in moderation; that will have you thin and happy for life, lol.

I actually sit on the other side of the aisle with this one.... I'm one of the people that think Toaster Strudel's are superior to Pop Tarts.

I've got a box of cherry ones in the freezer. mmmmm!
This discussion has been closed.