*need advice about something a bit awkward from ladies!

Options

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Yup - itching and burning is what I remember about yeast infections and their treatment.

But if it's really unbearable burning, I'd definitely want the opinion of a medical professional.
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor and they will give you an antibiotic called Diflucan. The over the counter stuff like Monistat has never worked for me. A yeast infection is not something you want to mess around with, so I would definitely go get checked out. If it is not treated properly it can be very bad.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    The only one that worked for me was the 7 day treatent. The shortened versions have not worked. I would encourage you to check with a Dr. since you have never had one. There are many things that mimic the yeast infection.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Go to a walk-in clinic. It is not difficult for them to figure out if all you need is your 7-day over-the-counter, or if you need antibiotics before you wind up with a serious kidney infection & need overnight hospitalization <--- That can happen in literally 1 DAY.

If you treat yourself for the wrong thing, and you actually have an infection that you wind up masking, you could become infertile.

Not exaggerating. Not even a joke. You HAVE to take this seriously.

Once you've actually been tested, and your symptoms become familiar, it is ok to treat yourself. But you do not know what you have, and neither do your mom and sister, unless they've tested your pee.

So, GO TO A WALK-IN.

Or Planned Parenthood:
    http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/womens-health-4284.htm

This
    I got a kidney infection once (I was waiting for my doctors' appt. the next week) I ended up in the ER because of the pain and vomiting. Not fun! I wouldn't risk it.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I don't think the person was meaning it in any way rude, but I am an adult. I like the advice of other women, other than my mom and my sister.
    Because these women on here gave me more to read, it gave me a push to go to a doctor. My doc does think is a YI, but he said t could very well be a UTI. So if I would have left that alone, I could be much worse.

Ok, I just read this. Glad you talked to your doctor :-) I think you were right to post. If you don't ask questions, you won't learn. And, really MFP is filled with medical posts.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I'm an RN
    Any discharge?
    What color?
    If it's white/tan, it's probably still yeast and the 3 day didn't do the trick. Get the 7 day.
    If it's yellow, green, bloody, it's bacterial and you need to see a doctor (if you've been sexually active to be checked for STD's) and started on antibiotics.
  • skinnybysummer24
    Options
    I'm an RN
    Any discharge?
    What color?
    If it's white/tan, it's probably still yeast and the 3 day didn't do the trick. Get the 7 day.
    If it's yellow, green, bloody, it's bacterial and you need to see a doctor (if you've been sexually active to be checked for STD's) and started on antibiotics.
    That's the thing, no discharge.
    and also, to people who were disapproving of me posting this...this is why ^^ I stumbled across an RN :)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    For future reference:
    You can have a yeast infection without discharge.
    Itching and "raw" feeling skin in your peri-area are also common symptoms of yeast.
    Any fever? Or burning specifically upon urination, or frequent/constant urge to urinate?
    Then perhaps a urinary tract infection.
    I'm sorry, remind me what your doctor said again and how are you being treated?
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Drink tonnes of warm water and cranberry juice. Wear cotton undies and try not to get too hot.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Go to the doctor and they will give you an antibiotic called Diflucan. The over the counter stuff like Monistat has never worked for me. A yeast infection is not something you want to mess around with, so I would definitely go get checked out. If it is not treated properly it can be very bad.

Clarification:
    Diflucan is an anti fungal not an antibiotic.
    Anti fungals treat yeast infections.
    Antibiotics treat bacterial infections.
    The two are different in scope and effectiveness.
  • tallgirlshelley
    tallgirlshelley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have had several and mine usually get a little worse before they get better. It certainly won't hurt to go get checked out, but if you give it a day or two to start working, you're not going to die. I'm a lab tech and we see lots of this. (I've even checked out my own specimen under a microscope. Kinda nerdy, but sort of cool, too). Try eating lots of yogurt. The symptoms of a UTI (in my experience) are WAY different than those of a yeast infection. Best of luck to you. Don't panic. lol! This is not uncommon and while it's true that untreated yeast infections or BV can lead to PID or worse, it's not the norm in just a few days. Use your common sense :)
  • skinnybysummer24
    Options
    He gave me the antifungal and I already feel a million times better today.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Glad you got what you needed and were brave enough to ask questions.:smile:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    If there is burning, it's most likely not a yeast infection. Bite the bullet and see the doc, no matter how embarrassing it is. Trust me, it's a REALLY GOOD IDEA. Good blessings. :bigsmile:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Glad you got what you needed and were brave enough to ask questions.:smile:

Oop...I see you went. Fantastic!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Eat some yogurt (not the kind that is premixed - so the fruit on the bottom or buy plain and mix toppings in but not in advance), and don't have sex until it clears up.
  • jacktin
    jacktin Posts: 24
    Options
    Sorry to say, but you are going to need to go to the doctor. You could have vaginitis ( http://women.webmd.com/guide/sexual-health-vaginal-infections ) and will need an antibiotic to get rid of it. It has similar symptoms to a yeast infection and many things cause it-including a really bad yeast infection.

Feel better soon :)
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Yogart a day..keeps the yeast away..
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You have to be kidding. Get yourself to a doctor for a prescription for antibiotics.

You obviously have no clue what you're telling this child so just read and learn.

No do not take antibiotics. Antibiotics cause yeast infections dear. Google it.

Monistat has a cream that sometimes comes with the treatment. You most certainly HAVE to have it. It sometimes is sold seperately. Eat yogurt at least 2 times a week for the rest of your life and buy the cream.

I have lactose intolerance issues so I take a female probiotic. It is called PHresh Probiotics. They work awesome to keep them away but, once you have them you have to get monitstat or diflucan which is a prescription. The prescription has horrible side effects though.
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    So, I need a bit of advice/help. I'm a 19 year old girl, and I've never had a Yeast Infection before. and I was explaining to my mom certain pains/itching/burning I've been having for the past few days and she said that's what she thinks it is and got me the 3 day treatment of Monistat. Now I have it right now but the burning is unbelievable. To those of you who have had one before and used Monistat, does the burning go away? is it even normal? And to those of you who have had one and not used Monistat, but something else, what did you use? PLEASE HELP ME.

You really need to get to a doctor and have your symptoms diagnosed. ASAP Good Luck :)