Do you skip the gym in freezing weather?

Options
I just got home from work, it's around 7:30am. Usually I hit the gym on my way home, but right now in Milwaukee it's -7 out, so cold it's painful! Am I wrong for skipping the gym when it's that cold out? I don't want to go outside all sweaty (there's no showers at the gym I go to). Does anyone else wimp out when it's freezing out?

Replies

• tattoogrrl28
    Options
    I'm in PA and it's a balmy 12 degrees here. I was planning on going to the gym this morning for a kettlebells class that usually kicks my butt, but my kid woke up with a fever. I'm strangely relieved to have an excuse not to go, since a fever means he can't be in the gym nursery. What a shame. Guess I have to cuddle on the couch with my kid and stay in my pajamas. :)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Have been to the gym in -35 deg at 10am in Nebraska. Get your hiney into that gym, girl! And dress in layers, shed the layers as you get warmed up. You will actually be glad you did!

And its refreshing to get your blood pumped in that cold of weather.:bigsmile:
  • Jackielyn17
    Options
    -30 with wind here in Montreal!! go hit it and hit it hard!! Although i don't stop anywhere on the way home, I work in a fitness centre hihihi so I go during my lunch break and after work.
  • TristansHawk
    TristansHawk Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    -30 C here! The only thing that stops me is if the road conditions become bad (as I live on roads that are not maintained well. If that happens, I workout at home! No excuses, you can do it!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    -12 Here (-45 w/ windchill).

I won't skip for the cold and RARELY for snow. Only if I need to clean the driveway where I can't even get out with the truck.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Oh hell no. If I am freezing the first place I want to be is the gym. I get so hot from the workout then take a hot shower at the house and it is perfect feeling to go to bed in.

Hell or high water nothing stops me from going to my gym.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I just got home from work, it's around 7:30am. Usually I hit the gym on my way home, but right now in Milwaukee it's -7 out, so cold it's painful! Am I wrong for skipping the gym when it's that cold out? I don't want to go outside all sweaty (there's no showers at the gym I go to). Does anyone else wimp out when it's freezing out?

-7 ? It's -28 in Canada. Get your bum to the gym!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Freezing weather is when I'm more likely to go because I can't/won't do anything active outside.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Freezing weather is the only time I am seen at the gym! ( well or if there is so much snow/ice the roads are impassible). Otherwise I'm layered up and running outside. Cold is demotivating, but you can do it, just think of it as a warm break to split up your commute home and you'll have then earned an evening of cuddling up on the couch with hot cocoa!
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If I can do it, you can do it.....get your butt to the gym.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's warm in the gym! and it's only cold if you are standing still :)

but I prefer to push play and workout to ChaLEAN Extreme or Combat :))
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    -30 C here! The only thing that stops me is if the road conditions become bad (as I live on roads that are not maintained well. If that happens, I workout at home! No excuses, you can do it!

This is true. I know I find excuses not to get to the gym, so I bought a treadmilll for home and I have DVD's and workouts in my kids game system.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Not at all! Like someone else said, I tend to want to go more when it's cold out because it helps me warm up a little. Try to give yourself a bit more of a cool down time so you're not soaked in sweat when you leave and/or bring a change of clothes and a hat so your sweaty areas aren't as exposed to the cold air.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Zumba 2nite... Will just layer up, hang around for a bit to continue to wipe the sweat.. But I'm going!
  • vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    No way. -7 F is a typical winter day here; it's on warm days that the gym clears out (errbody be running). Come prepared with some layers and/or towel. Bring a hat. Good to go.
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have no gym here, but I would rather exercise outside. When it's cold is when I want to move inside and wish I had a gym. I have an exercise bicycle but I'd still rather be outside.
  • sally414
    Options
    I'm in Wisconsin and the temp with wind chill is 25 below zero. Tonight I will most likely skip the gym and do a total body aerobics tape at home.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes, as I jog down there at 4:15am. Ice scares me.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I have my home gym in my open garage and i workout even if theres snow on the ground muaha
  • kyrakoala
    Options
    GO TO THE GYM! BUNDLE UP!

It was -1 when I got in my car this morning at 5:30 AM to get over to the gym (I live in Iowa) but I dress in layers, so that way even when I leave sweaty the cold air can't get to me!

I really wouldn't suggest skipping the gym, because the habit of skipping is usually easier to maintain than the habit of going and it can get you into a nasty pattern.

If it is that big of a deal for you, make sure you at least workout at home. Do a dvd (Insanity, Jillian Michaels, yoga, whatever!) Just make sure you get moving, don't let the winter hibernation slow you down!