Do you skip the gym in freezing weather?

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As others have said... what? The gym is indoors. I'd contemplate skipping a jog, MAYBE a bike ride, but now something indoors. Days like this make me wish I had a rec center membership so I could use the indoor tracks, because all the old people take up the mall pathways.

Now excuse me while I try not to freeze to death walking the one minute from my door to my car.
  • Nimadi486
    Nimadi486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hell no! It was 7 degrees this morning, but I made it to the gym! :tongue:
  • McAlyna
    McAlyna Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't like cold weather but I managed to go to the gym on Sunday and Monday, both days were single digit with below zero windchill. Planning to go again tonight after work since it is my lift day. :smile:
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about going outside all sweaty, I'd recommend investing in some kind of warm-up suit or tracksuit, especially if it's got a hood. All you need to do is provide that microclimate against your skin long enough to get to your vehicle and its heater. If you usually walk to the gym, then you may want a suit or layers that will last you for the trip or maybe it would be an idea to start driving.

A warmup suit + gloves + tuque combo layered on top of my gym shorts & t-shirt kept me warm while walking for 5-10 minutes between the barracks and the gym through a Korean winter.
  • bailuna
    bailuna Posts: 56
    Options
    It's been between -35 and -40 here with the windchill (I'm also in Wisconsin) but no, it doesn't stop me. I work out inside, not sure why it would matter. I just shower when I get home.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My hats off to everyone who has the strength and will power to go out in freezing temps! I live in deep south Texas and people down here (including myself) are really thrown off when the temperature drops to freezing levels. Public schools have cancelled classes when temps have gotten into the mid 20s!

My original reply was going to be "No, stay home, stay warm and keep safe", but now I realize that freezing temperatures and snow are par for the course in some parts of the country. Kudos to all who brave the elements to stay healthy!

I literally LOL'd at this entire post. Our High temp yesterday was -5.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    My hats off to everyone who has the strength and will power to go out in freezing temps! I live in deep south Texas and people down here (including myself) are really thrown off when the temperature drops to freezing levels. Public schools have cancelled classes when temps have gotten into the mid 20s!

My original reply was going to be "No, stay home, stay warm and keep safe", but now I realize that freezing temperatures and snow are par for the course in some parts of the country. Kudos to all who brave the elements to stay healthy!
    Its really not much different than the high temperatures you must get in south Texas summertime....only we crank up the heat in our cars (like you'd do with the a/c in the heat). .... we make due with whatever the universe sends our way....
  • bananapancakebella
    Options
    I'm in Denmark. If I only went to the gym on warm, sunny days I might be able to go 3 times a year. Maybe. If I'm lucky.

Get yourself to the gym!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I just got home from work, it's around 7:30am. Usually I hit the gym on my way home, but right now in Milwaukee it's -7 out, so cold it's painful! Am I wrong for skipping the gym when it's that cold out? I don't want to go outside all sweaty (there's no showers at the gym I go to). Does anyone else wimp out when it's freezing out?

For me at least, that right there makes the cold a benefit. I hate getting into a hot a** car where it's over 100 inside from baking in the sun when I'm already soaked. When it's cold out it's (for me at least) usually tolerable until the heat in the car gets going.
  • jenfoxjercha
    jenfoxjercha Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    4 degrees this morning on the way to the gym. BBRRRR! I just put on an additional layer to take off when I got there. I did have to talk to myself about not going for a few minutes because I didn't want to get out of my warm bed.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You just had to go and post a thread about it, didn't you? I was trying to use the weather as my excuse to not go. It's so friggin' cold out I don't want to move.

Eventually I will, but I'd really prefer not to. ;)
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If I can do it, you can do it.....get your butt to the gym.

This^^^^^
  • starrchiild
    starrchiild Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Shoulder day and I was there bright and early (7AM). It's cold as HECK here in MN
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I went like a champ yesterday with -30 degree windchills...Grabbed my sweatshirt and threw on my shorts...out the door I went! Seriously.... does it take you that long to walk from your car to the building?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Does your gym not have walls, roof, heat?
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I still go-it sucks but I still do it cause I always feel better after my morning workout. The coldest I've gone is -3 degrees but at that point, what's another few degrees? I've also gone in a noreaster before, I had the gym all to myself, I loved it! :laugh:
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's easy for me to come up with any number of excuses not to go. That's the problem. Overcoming the urge to use an excuse instead of just going. Yes, I have used the cold, daylight saving time, need to go shopping,my toe hurts, etc. Daily battle.:happy:
  • purpleroxmysocks
    purpleroxmysocks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I only workout outside, I'm too cheap to pay for exercise, anyway, when it's cold though I do skip working out, outside anyway, if you really don't want to leave try some YouTube videos!
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The last week or so here in the UK its been between 2 to -5 and i've not skipped a gym session / class yet, and not planning on it either :smile:
    We had 5inches of snow on saturday but I still made my classes at 9am!

Come on ... you can do it! :heart:
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's not freezing in the gym!