Do you skip the gym in freezing weather?

Options

Replies

• cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It was close to zero last night, and the roads were awful, so I skipped going to the gym after work. I did an exercise DVD at home and burned around the same amount of calories; plus, it raised my body temperature enough that I didn't have to turn the heat up until later, after my shower. :)

The roads are better today (slightly), but it's even colder now, around -10. I'll probably go to the gym tonight. I'm hoping the cold and snow will keep people away. It's been really crowded lately.
  • 3under2
    3under2 Posts: 133
    Options
    Get your butt to the gym. You'll be glad you did come Summer time ;). I live in Sweden so I know cold :).

Scarlet
  • paperhawk
    paperhawk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Miss a day now and then, no big deal. Miss 2 and the downhill descent begins. Make today your day off. But then make all the other 6. I am heading out for my 4 mile walk it's 8 degrees here but dry (Etna, Ohio). Bought a ski mask with neck cover, dress in layers, all the normal BS good gloves etc

Also spend more time in cool down if you are worried about sweat....
    I just got home from work, it's around 7:30am. Usually I hit the gym on my way home, but right now in Milwaukee it's -7 out, so cold it's painful! Am I wrong for skipping the gym when it's that cold out? I don't want to go outside all sweaty (there's no showers at the gym I go to). Does anyone else wimp out when it's freezing out?
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    -7 to a Canadian is just a nip in the air. Not having showers and having to trudge home in your sweat, in the cold, isn't fun, but that will make the post-workout shower feel that much better.

Just do it.
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    Sometimes i avoid going the gym but a lot of the gym, i go. Walking warms you up & then you'll sweat at the gym and sooner or later, you'll be back home :-)
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Dont make me laugh... its -45°F here in winnipeg. if that were the case id never work out... youre going home afterward anyway so put on a scarf and touque and stop making excuses!
  • ukstarlight05
    Options
    I live in Milwaukee too, and it was so cold out when I woke up I skipped my morning workout too! Luckily there is a small fitness center in the basement of my work, so I plan on working out later today. When I drove to work it was -8F. That is just WAY TOO COLD!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, so nope! No excuses to skip ever.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I wimped out yesterday because the pool heater is broken and I couldn't handle the cold water. But the cold air is irritating my asthma, and I need to figure out how hard I can go when my lung itches. Hopefully pool will be warm again tonight and I can swim. But if not, I'll try the bike and see if I can go without causing a full blown attack. I hate not exercising so much now. It makes my body sad.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When I lived in a cold climate, no. I went. I even exercised outside in temps like that.
  • nelson_anna
    nelson_anna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a gym membership, but I sympathize with you. I'm in Minnesota and run outside during the spring, summer and fall but stop when it gets down under 40 degrees. After that I stick to my P90X dvds. So NO, you DON'T have to go out to the gym- you can do a little "in home" workout instead. Have fun! :)
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    GO TO THE GYM! BUNDLE UP!

I really wouldn't suggest skipping the gym, because the habit of skipping is usually easier to maintain than the habit of going and it can get you into a nasty pattern.

If it is that big of a deal for you, make sure you at least workout at home. Do a dvd (Insanity, Jillian Michaels, yoga, whatever!) Just make sure you get moving, don't let the winter hibernation slow you down!

^ This. I Have found ways to convince myself that I can't go to the gym, but it is so much easier to make excuses than to take action.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I live in Milwaukee too, and it was so cold out when I woke up I skipped my morning workout too! Luckily there is a small fitness center in the basement of my work, so I plan on working out later today. When I drove to work it was -8F. That is just WAY TOO COLD!

??
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Nope... I'm going this afternoon.

If I'm working at home, I work out AT HOME.
  • 50kgRussianBallerina
    Options
    Well here in Perm, Russia, it's -30 and might get up to -40. My gym is a 20 min walk away and I still go! But I completely understand you! :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I also skip the gym for hot weather, hang nails, and dry skin.
  • RGv2
    Options
    I can't afford a gym membership, but I sympathize with you. I'm in Minnesota and run outside during the spring, summer and fall but stop when it gets down under 40 degrees. After that I stick to my P90X dvds. So NO, you DON'T have to go out to the gym- you can do a little "in home" workout instead. Have fun! :)

So you P90X from September-May?
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Isn't it cold a lot during the winter in Milwaukee? I would think that cold weather would be a good reason to go to the gym, since it's too cold to work out outside. Don't you have a hooded sweatshirt you could wear under your coat on the way home?

There's an excuse to avoid every workout. If you don't want to work out, don't do it.

You don't need to ask for permission, but I would guess that if no one worked out at gyms when it was cold, there wouldn't be many gyms that stayed in business in the northern part of the world.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    No way...I go rain or shine, hot or cold (unless there's a blizzard and I can't even drive there). I've found if I let myself start making excuses, it gets easier and easier to give up.... :ohwell:
  • RGv2
    Options
    I'm in Wisconsin and the temp with wind chill is 25 below zero. Tonight I will most likely skip the gym and do a total body aerobics tape at home.

I wish it were that nice here. Windchill in the -35 to -45 area this morning when I went.